• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

How long does it take for clipped wings to grow back

Laiba

Checking out the neighborhood
unfortunately, while I was away my brother clipped my parrots' wings because when they were flying they kept hitting the wall, he thought they might hurt themselves because his friend's alexandrine broke her leg like that, I got 2 month old green cheek conure and alexandrine

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
Depends on when it was clipped in relation to their molt/age. It can take anywhere from 6 to 18 months.

Laiba

Depends on when it was clipped in relation to their molt/age. It can take anywhere from 6 to 18 months.

Thank you!, I heard if they are clipped wrong they don't grow back, is that true? if it is true, then what should I do, they already seem distressed I don't want to be unhappy although I'm pretty sure they did it right but I'm still a bit concerned

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
No that's not true. Molting and growing in new feathers is a biological process. Sometimes it can be complicated by a bad clip job, but most of the time they are alright

Laiba

again Thank you so much! I was really worried, this really helped!!

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
You're very welcome :)

Pixiebeak

Biking along the boulevard
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Laura
:hello1: :welave:

Babies like yours do go through s learning process as they learn to fly. Taking extra precautions like putting stickers on windows, and blankets in floor s can help. As they learn they won't fly into walls.

Even tho he is now clipped he might still have a strong urge to practice fly. So you if you can judge how far he goes before heading to the ground , that's where I put out pillows and stuff. Sometimes if too many feathers were cut they can fall instead of glide to the ground. Until they get past the fledging urge and learn they can't fly right now , you might put soft stuff around the cage

When ever feathers come back , he will go through learning curve again . I like to walk around with them and show them walls and tap on windows. And take them into bedroom with carpet or blankets in floor and try and have them practice and land on bed. Some do well learning in their own as they start replacing flight feathers and getting s little lift.

Congratulations on you new one. Love to see a picture! And stick around this is a great sbd fun group of people.