• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

How long can a Large 'Too be left alone per day?

Is my situation okay for a cockatoo?

• Total voters

GabeCast

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Gabe
What are your expectations? What do you want out of a bird? That will help us help you.
A general companion, that will sit on/next to me while I watch TV/read/ play games. Also a little clown that can entertain me with his/her personality. That's really what I'm looking for. A cockatoo is really what comes to mind for me, maybe a conure?

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
A general companion, that will sit on/next to me while I watch TV/read/ play games. Also a little clown that can entertain me with his/her personality. That's really what I'm looking for. A cockatoo is really what comes to mind for me, maybe a conure?

That's pretty much any bird... but much more realistic with smaller birds. Though that sounds more like what my cat likes to do. Birds are more inclined to be constantly moving, eating, playing, yapping...

Clueless

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
My house isn't too busy, I live with 3 roommates in my house with 2 dogs & two cats. It's pretty dead in there during the day when everyone's at work, but it gets loud and exiting in the morning and evening when everyone's here. I was planning on putting his cage in my room, is this okay?
I'm going to reluctantly bring up the fact that there are 2 cats and 2 dogs that are living in this household. What steps can be taken to keep them away from the bird? I personally know someone who told me their birds died because of terror from cats in the household.... I know of a dog that lived to attack birds outside.

melissasparrots

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Well, if you have expectations, hopes and desires regarding your relationship with a parrot, I'd avoid all macaws, cockatoos, amazons, african greys and eclectus. Hopes, desires and expectations tend to be shattered within the first year of large parrot ownership. That goes double for cockatoos. Instead you end up learning to accept imperfections, work through some hard stuff including some serious self doubt and relationship garbage both between you and other people and you and the bird, deal with complaining of less devoted room mates, plus just figuring out body language so you don't get bit so often and how to deal with tantrums and screaming fits and just daily life with a parrot.

I'd recommend a cockatiel or small conure that you can keep in your bedroom with the door closed. Room mate's dogs tend to kill pet birds because room mates tend to drastically underestimate their perfect pet's prey drive and first time bird owners tend to underestimate a parrots penchant for being in exactly the wrong place at the wrong time. That would also reduce problems with cooking fumes and other generally stupid stuff that goes along with room mates. Also, cockatiels rarely pluck. Don't knock them. They are everything you just mentioned. I spent many years of my childhood and adult life with a cockatiel on my shoulder. I was serenaded every morning with an assortment of wolf whistles and TV show theme songs. A single male might be a better choice just because females are so prone to compulsive laying. Although females are often sweeter.

janicedyh

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Janice
I followed this post today and just tried to keep my mouth shut (if you know me....I can't do that easily). I don't intend to be rude or offend you especially since your initial post let us know that you intended on getting a U2 regardless of the advice you were asking for. Why do you think they are one of the most re-homed birds? They are beautiful, smart as heck and full of personality. Its the "personality" part that is tricky. You are far the get go not offering the best environment for him. Room mates, having to stay in one room because of other pets and it sounds to me (please correct me if I am wrong) that your life is just beginning (living in one room and having room mates). I really fell in love with the species and actually found one at a rescue that was full of personality and he was as cuddly as any bird you could find. I have had some sort of smaller bird most of my life and also had to take a bird boot camp to prove to the rescue that I knew how to care for the bird. Luckily for both of us the shelter chose a young family that had been visiting and bonded with the bird already. Even though I still love the species I now realize how difficult they can be. What will you do when the bird is being difficult and your roomies don't want to deal with it. What do you do when you find out theres some issue that will cost you hundreds/thousands of vet bills? I'm sorry to say I think you need to stop romanticizing the species. They are beautiful but you need to respect the fact that you just are not at the point where you can do them justice

Last edited:

theocnoob

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Pablo and George
You've really got it all wrong. Very few birds will just "sit on you while you watch TV" and forget about playing video games with the bird on your shoulder unless you want to constantly be keeping the controller away from the bird. Controllers for videogames, remotes for TV's, etc, are primary "This looks interesting, I think I shall destroy it with my beak" material for pretty much any bird. You should see my cordless phone. It's not pretty.

The bird is not there to entertain you. You are there to entertain the bird, much like a human parent child relationship. It is YOU who must make sure that the bird is well fed, has things to do, is emotionally and mentally stimulated, etc. There is little entertainment to be had in the traditional sense. Yes, birds are funny, they are fun, but they are so much work that the work really eclipses that in terms of scope. Birds poo every few minutes. Big bird=big poo. You'll be walking around wiping up poops behind the bird constantly. Birds do not eat the food out of their bowl (or your plate) without making a massive mess. Cockatoos are super dusty. And so on.

I really don't think a cockatoo is for you and if the above are your general expectations I'm not sure any companion bird is right for you. You might want to reconsider and get an animal that is much less work like a house cat.

A companion bird is a toddler that will be a toddler forever. Imagine a 4 year old that stays 4 years old forever and even when you're 70 years old you'll still have a 4 year old (big birds live a long time). You're there to keep them happy and entertain them and clean up after them and make sure they are having a good time and are stimulated. They are not there to entertain you. If you want something to just look at that will entertain you, get a fish tank. You can leave a fishtank alone for 24 hours and nothing will happen. The fish don't care. I can help you set one up I have 15 years of experience.

JLcribber

@cockatoojohn
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
John
A cockatiel does all those things you want and is actually a cockatoo.

Lwalker

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Lori
What would you recommend for me?
Any bird in the parrot family (particularly a single bird), if well-cared for means you and your room mates likely have to change your lifestyle. For you, this adapting means for 20 to 60 plus years depending on the bird. As an owner of GCCs' it really irritates me when people say "or maybe a conure" as an after thought.

nellysmom

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Diane
Sounds to me like you are on the right track. Quality not quanitity. I'm sure my answer will not be popular but I got my C2 at 9 months;she was a gift. I worked long hours and she learned to be independant. She is now 29 and no behavior problems,screaming,plucking. She is truly my best friend. As for that web site. I don't like it. My friend adopted 2 TOOs and different times who were neglected. They turned into sweet loving birds.
Some people think that a TOO is supposed to be a cuddle bug that sits and wait for their human. If you are adopting be sure to get ALL past info. If it's a bby set the rules early on. each your bird to be loving but able to to enjoy their own company. Good luck

Bird_lover6

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
JoJo
I really don't think you're ready for a parrot. What happens when you walk out of your bedroom at seven in the morning to go to the bathroom and your bird starts screeching? Do your housemates like to sleep in on the weekends? And do any of them work odd shift hours that requires them to sleep through the day? Do you all have the same days off? If one of your housemates wants a relaxing day at home while you are away, just how "relaxing" is it going to be if your 'too decides to screech for two hours?

Your housemates may say they are fine with you getting a 'too, but they have not done the research to know what they will experience living with one.

Until you are the mistress of your own household, have more time for your bird, and more space for the bird, and more money, you are not ready for large bird ownership.
In fact, I would advise against any bird ownership for the time being.

ETA - You could more easily equip a smaller bird - like a senegal - to live in your bedroom. A nice cage filled with toys, a play top, and two play gyms hanging from the ceiling on opposites sides of the bedroom to encourage flying could work, if you have an ideal situation with housemates who live, work, and sleep the same hours you do. However, I would still be concerned that your bird will not get enough interaction from you.

I absolutely adore my sennie! She uses her talons like the bigger birds, so she's more fun to watch than birds that don't, imo. And she loves to sit on my shoulder! She can screech when I walk away, but she is actually an extremely quiet bird, in general. She says a few words, but talking is something that doesn't matter to me, so I don't spend a lot of time training her.

Last edited:

sunnysmom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Michelle
I am a big believer in getting the bird that you want from the get go and not a practice bird so to speak. That said, I have to agree that I don't think you're ready for a cockatoo. I'm currently fostering a goffin right now. He is my first too. I have bird experience and know what it's like to have no life because you have a bird. He's still a challenge for me. Which is a suggestion for you- have you thought about fostering a bird? Are there any rescues near you that would let you foster? It's a good way to get some bird experience without having to commit the next 20 years or so to a bird. It would let you gain experience and also learn what type of bird you may like. (Also, keep in mind that cockatoos are loud. I know you said your roommates are okay with you getting a bird. But are they going to be okay with being woken up every day at 6:00 am to a screaming cockatoo. Every day. Because that is likely what will happen.)

GabeCast

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Gabe
So pretty much i'm not ready for a cockatoo, I understand, but i'm stubborn. I'm going to do the right thing, I realize i'm not ready and I think i'm leaning for a conure or cockatiel... Sun, GCC, or a cockatiel? Can anyone help me out with this?

janicedyh

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Janice
Cockatiels are hardy little birds, fun and smart. Although they are independent you still need to spend some time with them during the day to keep them tame. Noise level depends on your tolerance and the individual bird. As with any bird...there is no guarantee he/she will bond with you, be a cuddly bird or learn to talk or be your best friend.

Tiel Feathers

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Deanna
Cockatiels are fantastic birds. They are fairly easy going, tend not to be just one person birds, are not too loud (but like all birds, can be) and often like to sit and watch what's going on, like when you watch tv. Some also enjoy head scratches.

My biggest concern is your roommates and the other pets. The roommates will have to change their habits. No candles, no teflon, no perfume, no common cleaning products, etc, and absolutely no dogs or cats in the room when the bird is out. I would also say no cats in the room where the birds cage is. Accidents with birds are all too common and it's hard to get other people to see the importance of the rules you will have to set up.

Bird_lover6

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
JoJo
Not a sun! They are loud, loud, loud! Gorgeous, yes! But ear piercing loud!

Try a green cheek conure. They come in a variety of colors, and are on the "quieter" side...for a parrot, that is, and also use their talons like the bigger birds to pick up things and eat.

melissasparrots

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
I'd be careful with the sun conure. They are gorgeous and have great personalities. But I will never own one because I just simply can't take the aratinga conure scream. I'd go with a green cheek or cockatiel. I've never had a GCC. I will tell you that even a cockatiel can get on people's nerves, but not nearly as bad as a screaming cockatoo.

theocnoob

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Pablo and George
So pretty much i'm not ready for a cockatoo, I understand, but i'm stubborn. I'm going to do the right thing, I realize i'm not ready and I think i'm leaning for a conure or cockatiel... Sun, GCC, or a cockatiel? Can anyone help me out with this?
I don't think you're ready for any bird. You might be ready, but

A) Your schedule is not great. You work a lot/are away from home a lot and on your days off you want to hang out and party (I don't blame you for this we were all young once)

B) You have roommates. They will not appreciate the mess, destroyed TV and Xbox remotes, screaming, and general lack for order and peace and quietness at night.

I have a disability. I work from home when I can but I have been home each and every day with George since 2008 and I will continue to do so. He goes in his cage maybe 1 1/2 out of his 12 waking hours so that he can relax, play with toys, and so on, but when he's ready to come back out he calls me and I come right away. Most of our time is spent hanging out in the living room, playing, and watching shows he likes on TV and youtube. I know he would be unhappy if I only got to spend the evening hours with him. I can't even imagine what it would be like if he were an overly emotional sensitive and clingy parrot like a cockatoo.

No offense intended by the following statement whatsoever, but like others have stated, I kind of resent the whole "I can't get the giant bird I wanted so I'll settle for a (insert small parrot here)". That's like saying the little birds don't deserve the respect that the big birds do, and that's not right. Much like a child is a miniature human, a small bird is a miniature big bird, and they have similar needs physically and emotionally.

I know what it's like to really want something in your life. My father has a severe mental illness and I got tired of being insulted and assaulted by him relentlessly so I ended that relationship recently but for 30+ years I was trying to get him help. Trying to get him better. Forgiving him a million times over.

At a certain point one needs to be mature enough to realize that something is either impossible or it is not the right time for it.

How about a really cool aquarium? With the money you likely have saved for a too, giant cage, toys, and vet, you could put together a really fantastic aquarium full of non-emotionally-needy inabitants. You can even set up an automatic feeder.

janicedyh

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Janice
GCC As far as my experience get super nippy if you don't spend time with them. Love my Nelson .... He can't speak as clearly but learns super fast