• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

How long can a Large 'Too be left alone per day?

Is my situation okay for a cockatoo?

• Total voters

GabeCast

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Gabe
I've been researching cockatoos on and off for almost two years now, trying not to just be one of those people who think "They're so cute! I want one!" and just buy the bird on the spot and having it be unhappy and eventually being re-homed. I have a full time job (40-45 hours a week) and a social life. At first when doing research on birds where you can have a full time job + social life, it came up with cockatiels and conures. After researching conures, that led me to macaws, which from what I read are conures with a bigger personality, but also more needs. Although I saw MANY people on forums who have full time jobs and go out with friends, and their macaw is fine: happy, healthy, perfect. So of course, me being me, I looked into cockatoos. They are undisputed champion for the most demanding bird, but also in my opinion the best. I've done google searches about leaving them home alone, and all I've come up with is people talking about leaving them alone for DAYS while on vacation. Of course I know you can't do this with any parrot, especially a cockatoo. So because I can't seem to find anything on this, I figured i'd make my own thread. Can I be gone 8-10 hours a day with a cockatoo? He will never be in his cage when i'm home (beside sleeping). I can promise you: he'd have TONS of toys, i'd leave the radio/TV on while i'm gone, the whole 9 yards. So that gives him a minimum of about 4 hours out of the cage with me, and up to 6-7. (based on the 12 hour sleep schedule per day) my worst nightmare is my bird plucking it's feathers, or being aggressive due to lack of socialization. Moulaccans seem like they have the most personality, but I also know that to have one, you pretty much need a stay-at-home job. As they are one of the clingier, if not the clingiest bird you can get. Of course I would love to have one, so if anyone has better new on their cling-iness, that would be great. But ultimately it's down to a sulphur-crested and U2. Which, if either would be best in my situation? (I know it depends on the bird, but try to generalize as best as you can.)

Oh, and by the way, not to sound rude, but don't give me one of those generic "too's are a lot of work, blah, blah..." Obviously after researching for years I know this, the only thing i'm worried about is schedule. And I don't believe in "starter birds" so if I want a 'too, i'm getting a 'too, I really don't want to settle. I want a bird I really will LOVE with no doubts.

Motherof'tiels

Strolling the yard
You probably know this but 'toos are SO DEMANDING OMG. But in your situation if you have things going on, a giant cage, patience, loyalty and interaction then I believe you can do it. Days you are off spend all your time with the cockatoo. You also can get experienced bird sitters possibly.v

GabeCast

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Gabe
My house isn't too busy, I live with 3 roommates in my house with 2 dogs & two cats. It's pretty dead in there during the day when everyone's at work, but it gets loud and exiting in the morning and evening when everyone's here. I was planning on putting his cage in my room, is this okay?

Motherof'tiels

Strolling the yard
I believe it is fine, just be aware that your door needs to be closed if you have the dogs and cats. Otherwise I say go for it if you have your research down!

Sarahmoluccan

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Sarah
I wouldn't recommend having him/her in your bedroom. One the dust isn't good for you. So you should definitely get a good air purifier if you do that. I dunno what daily routine is but you have give them 12 hours of sleep. So you basically couldn't do anything in your room once you put them to bed. There also your roommates to consider. You have to have your room and surrounding area quiet. Would your roommates be on board with that? Personally I think it may be too much to ask of your roommates. But its hard for me to say. Your roommates would really be on board with the decision because it would affect the entire house hold

GabeCast

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Gabe
I wouldn't recommend having him/her in your bedroom. One the dust isn't good for you. So you should definitely get a good air purifier if you do that. I dunno what daily routine is but you have give them 12 hours of sleep. So you basically couldn't do anything in your room once you put them to bed. There also your roommates to consider. You have to have your room and surrounding area quiet. Would your roommates be on board with that? Personally I think it may be too much to ask of your roommates. But its hard for me to say. Your roommates would really be on board with the decision because it would affect the entire house hold
They've told me they're complete on board, as they have seen i'm pretty much obsessed with 'toos. Would putting it in the living room be a bad idea for sleep, as people may be awake? Also as I see you own a mouloccan: would you say are as clingy as some people say? Or should I go for a U2 or sulphur-crested? Thanks.

theocnoob

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Pablo and George
A lot of birds are clingy. You should see my senegal if I put him down and walk away. He's glued to me. I only get respite if my mom is around and he hangs out with her. Otherwise the only time I get to myself at home is from 7pm when he goes to bed until 10pm when I go to bed (I know that's lame but he makes me get up at 6am or he's very upset with me and we just can't have that). I'm home all day most days and George is with me at all times. He even comes into the shower not so much because I want him to but because he loves getting wet and if I dont take him in with me he screams which makes for an un-enjoyable shower.

You need to put your bird away from the kitchen and any sources of drafts. It has to be a place that is relatively quiet and free of disturbances once your bird goes to bed (or goes to perch).

Honestly I think the amount of time per day that the house is empty is not good for a cockatoo personally. But I've never had one. I just know people who have them and they say that the bird is completely glued to them. One guy I met at the park who had his umbrella cockatoo with him told me that she even tries to get into bed with him and his wife at night and getting her out of there and to her cage is a 1/2 hour ordeal.

ode.to.parrots

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Cary
Full discloser: I don't have any experience with cockatoos. That being said...

From what I've read and researched, there are two essential things that you'd need to have a cockatoo who his happy and still keep a full time job out of the house:
1) The cockatoo should have an aviary/bird room, not a cage. This will allow the bird to fly some and climb and explore for exercise. You'll also have WAY more options for foraging toys to keep him/her busy.
2) Have two cockatoos that are bonded (as in, consider adopting two toos who are already friends, or perhaps adopt siblings from the breeder or something like that perhaps?)

Again, like I said, I don't have cockatoos. I don't have experience with cockatoos. But cockatoos and VERY high energy and VERY emotional birds. Unless you work from home online full time and can be with the bird at all times, I think it is essential to have two. For a cockatoo, I would imagine that the too would need more than 4 hours of out-of-cage-time, or all of that excess energy is going to go into screaming.

I know I am not the best person to give advice on this subject because of my lack of experience. Perhaps I'm setting the bar two high, perhaps I am not setting it high enough. But these are my standards, standards that I hope to achieve soon with my own flock of cockaTIELS.
I hope someone who has one or two toos can chime in.

GabeCast

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Gabe
There is no way I could afford two cockatoos. The initial purchase price is high plus the monthly price... no way I could double that.

theocnoob

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Pablo and George
There is no way I could afford two cockatoos. The initial purchase price is high plus the monthly price... no way I could double that.
It's less than the cost of building a little forest in your home. Don't get the cockatoo dude it's just not for you. I know it's hard to hear. There are other birds you could look at.

BlueAbyss

Walking the driveway
If you do not have any experience with birds, even the small ones, then getting a bird as big as a 'Too is a big 'No No.' I know you don't want to hear this but they are REALLY HIGH Maintenance and having no experience with any bird at all doesn't help your case. Situations like these, the parrot become neglected, abused and are handed right over to rescues. Not to start anything but I really have to agree with @theocnoob, a cockatoo is not for you.

Sarahmoluccan

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Sarah
Moluccans do love to cuddle and can be more clingy. Zane my M2 is way more cuddly but Echo is just as clingy. He can get upset if he can't see me

Honestly I don't think it's the right time for you to get a cockatoo. What happens if one of your roommates has to have stitches because your cockatoo bit him? Will your roommates still be on board then? I'm not trying to sound harsh but you gotta look at it worse case scenario...

melissasparrots

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
I have a greater sulfur crest and a goffin's. The greater is 16 years old, the goffin is 11 I think. I leave them for about 8-9 hours a day for work and then a couple days a week I take off and do martial arts for a few hours or whatever that takes me away from home. Both of mine pluck, but its not because of me being gone or being poorly socialized. Actually, at the moment both of mine are gorgeous and fully feathered. Unless you were looking for signs of plucking, you probably wouldn't see it. My galerita plucks from allergies and honestly I don't know why the goffin's plucks. I also go on short vacations of about 3-5 days every year and a pet sitter comes over twice a day to feed and check on them. They do fine with being cage bound for a few days. I have multiple birds though, so they have a flock to watch and chat with while I'm gone. They are generally also guaranteed a certain amount of snuggle time every day. Sometimes its only about 10-20 minutes plus another hour or two of out of cage time frequently. Cockatoo ownership doesn't have to be this huge complicated thing. However, if having a bird pluck is your worst nightmare, I'd stay away from cockatoos. They are just one of the more complicated species. You can do everything right and the bird may or may not pluck and it might have nothing to do with you. Sometimes it can take several years before you come to peace with your lifestyle while owning a cockatoo. Once everything settles down, having a cockatoo is no big deal. But for whatever reason, people have problems with commitment during the learning curve and acceptance phase. Cockatoos can also be aggressive no matter how much time you give them or how awesome their life is. Getting bit every once in a while just happens when you have parrots. Personally, I'd say don't make the cockatoo the center of your universe. You'll have to make some modifications to your life to make the cockatoo fit, but make sure you still maintain your basic lifestyle. Not doing so just makes for a co-dependent cockatoo and a burnt out owner that wants to find their bird a new home after the newness wears off. Regardless of what species you get, go into it with a this will be made to work attitude. And make it work.

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Banner Hoarder
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
@JLcribber loves these topics :)

What is it about a cockatoo that you want? I read all about cockatoos and nothing about them screams "great pet" to me!

melissasparrots

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Bottom line, to answer the core of your original question, there are potential problem areas involving the room mates. Cockatoos have a knack for causing discord and upheaval within relationships. Things like I cant stand that damn cockatoo screaming all the time you have to get rid of it ultimatums are common. I'd trend toward recommending against a cockatoo for you at this point in your life. Other room mate related problems are things like someone lets the bird out when you aren't there and then leaves a door open and you then no longer have a cockatoo. Someone lets a pot get too hot on the stove or boil dry and kills your cockatoo. Someone decides to paint the living room a fun new color without taking precautions for the bird and the bird dies. Someone lets their best friend bring their dog over and somehow someone wasn't watching and it kills your bird. Room mates are a problem unless your room mates are just as fanatical about the bird as you are. To me, its not a matter of the amount of time you have or having a social life, its the fact you live with other people. Which often becomes a problem down the road with things like wives and girlfriends that like you a whole bunch but not your bird. Again with the ultimatums.

JLcribber

@cockatoojohn
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
John
A solitary bird is a lonely bird. Always will be. Humans are a pathetic substitute for other flock mates..
I've been researching cockatoos on and off for almost two years now,
So what this says is you have absolutely no experience or even "exposure" to cockatoos (or any parrot for that matter) and have absolutely no reality to base any of this on. You have a "vision". You can't learn to ride a bike from reading a book. You have to actually get on that thing and pedal.
full time job + social life,
The first one is great. You can kiss the second one goodbye whether you want to or not or your bird will suffer.
Oh, and by the way, not to sound rude, but don't give me one of those generic "too's are a lot of work, blah, blah..."

I'll do one better. I'm going to tell you like it is. Anyone who wants to do what you want to do had better have thick enough skin to listen to it. You are not ready for a cockatoo. The only way you will even be remotely ready to take on this challenge is to spend 6 "months" helping out a rescue with the birds in their care. Get your hands dirty actually learning, dealing and handling them. Talk is cheap and right now you're just blowing hot air in the wind. (All that time you'd have to give up to do that is something you'll be doing anyway)

I look forward to your post in 6 months. And about the bird that "chose you" to come home.

Last edited:

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Banner Hoarder
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]

GabeCast

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Gabe
So what this says is you have absolutely no experience or even "exposure" to cockatoos (or any parrot for that matter) and have absolutely no reality to base any of this on. You have a "vision". You can't learn to ride a bike from reading a book. You have to actually get on that thing and pedal.
I have worked at a rescue in Rochester. It wasn't a bird rescue, just animals in general. They had 4 'toos and a couple macaws. One cockatoo was aggressive towards everyone, so I just stayed away from him. The other two were breeding partners, and at the time I was there they were only being cared for by their owner. The last cockatoo was named Mickey, he was 7 years old at the time when I was there. I did become close with him (not "bonded close", but he liked me.). I never really was with the two macaws.