• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Pictures Help!

MiniMacaw

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Lisa
Kinda like cheating though... ;) I expect them to be completely in sync after so many years. Lol

Are those the meds from the compounding pharmacy? I always compound meds and flavor them peanut butter flavor. You will be doing meds for awhile Lisa. Get in good with that pharmacy and use them for everything.

I have a veterinary compounding pharmacy i use. They have all my info and cards on file. When a medication comes in they have my flavor and card on file and they know to ship it ASAP overnight to me.
Yes, this one is the compounded one. The pharmacy is a quick 5-10 min drive from me and works directly with the vets office. They didn’t offer a choice, but they did flavor his meds “tutti fruitie” which he seems to like randomly lol. The ones the vet gave me are cherry flavor and tropical fruit flavor.

He gets antibiotics twice a day, antifungal twice a day, and pain control and anti inflammatory once a day right now. They said that his bloodwork will be back tomorrow and they’ll call then to adjust/add anything. The other samples we sent off take much longer. But I’m interested to see what his bloodwork will show. I’d like to think he’s on enough meds already lol.

Macawnutz

Seriously Nutz!
Super Administrator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Sarah
Yah, you are waiting on the culture & sensitivities. Those take 7ish days or more. I can't see that they will add more but they may change the medications if the ones he prescribed will not be effective against the issues. If he has a favorite flavor remember it and ask them to use it. Just makes things easier on both of you.

I don't recall Bowser needing much other than love and care. I know you do much in the way of rescues but this is your biggest. Get a good routine with your medications. I have no doubt that you can do this but if you need something or have questions I will give you my number. A sick macaw is extremely time consuming and you can quickly become exhausted with remembering times/doses/bottles. Get a good routine going. Xoxoxoxo

Last edited:

MiniMacaw

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Lisa
Yah, you are waiting on the culture & sensitivities. Those take 7ish days or more. I can't see that they will add more but they may change the medications if the ones he prescribed will not be effective against the issues. If he has a favorite flavor remember it and ask them to use it. Just makes things easier on both of you.

I don't recall Bowser needing much other than love and care. I know you do much in the way of rescues but this is your biggest. Get a good routine with your medications. I have no doubt that you can do this but if you need something or have questions I will give you my number. A sick macaw is extremely time consuming and you can quickly become exhausted with remembering times/doses/bottles. Get a good routine going. Xoxoxoxo
Bowser did need meds, but as a baby he took it with his formula and gave me not an ounce of trouble. I’m giving him extra pine nuts today just for that :).

We sent biopsies too. Biopsies of the inside beak portion and some nasal growths. He said they trim the beak portion into thin slices and examine it under the scope with some specialized stains. Then we also did the culture and sensitivities from swabs. I think, lol. It’s a lot and I expect the call tomorrow to bring more clarity.

Thank you very much for the help! I can’t say enough how much I appreciate it. It’s priceless to come on here and have you and ML and so many people with so much experience be willing to help my little sick guy out.
:heart2:

Last edited:

aooratrix

Macawaholic
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Matthew
If you need to hand feed him, try a small Dixie cup and bend it so it resembles a macaw’s bottom mandible. That’s how I learned to hand feed back in the old days.

Hankmacaw

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Mary Lynn Skinner
You can also get some Pina Colada mix - non alcoholic to keep on hand for any meds that aren't flavored. Milk thistle doesn't taste horrible, but doesn't taste good - that's an example.

I hope you can get him to take meds from a syringe soon - you may become overwhelmed with coaxing him to take them and you are never sure if they are getting the full dose with putting it on other stuff.

I'm glad you are getting additional information from Dr. today. Every bit of info makes the problem clearer and easier to handle.

PS - I'm using the same pharmacy - Elements and they have been super responsive ever since Diamondback sold to Meadowland and came absolutely unglued.

Last edited:

MiniMacaw

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Lisa
You can also get some Pina Colada mix - non alcoholic to keep on hand for any meds that aren't flavored. Milk thistle doesn't taste horrible, but doesn't taste good - that's an example.

I hope you can get him to take meds from a syringe soon - you may become overwhelmed with coaxing him to take them and you are never sure if they are getting the full dose with putting it on other stuff.

I'm glad you are getting additional information from Dr. today. Every bit of info makes the problem clearer and easier to handle.

PS - I'm using the same pharmacy - Elements and they have been super responsive ever since Diamondback sold to Meadowland and came absolutely unglued.
The pharmacy is awesome. Super quick and very nice.

Still waiting on results but will update when I do hear something.

He has a phobia to the syringe. He throws himself around the cage if he even sees one. My husband put on gloves yesterday to fix a clog in the sink and had to walk by the cage...this set Seamus off like crazy, screaming and thrashing. He really has some issues when it comes to being restrained or given oral meds. When I give him the med topped food I sit and watch him eat until he’s done and he licks all the meds off before breaking apart the pellet so I feel confident he’s getting his full dose. It would be nice to be able to use the syringe someday; and I’m working on him not being such a big chicken around them, but that’s going to take a while.

He slept on the floor of his cage again last night with his wing over his head. I’m debating putting a blanket down in one corner to make it more comfortable for him, though I hesitated to last night because I didn’t want to encourage him. We’re both feeling our way through all this newness and trying our best not to mess up lol. Seamus is a good boy; never terribly loud unless scared, and he’s gently taking food from my hands now so that’s a good step.

Monaco

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Kelly Hill

:party1: at your house!?

MiniMacaw

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Lisa

I made a short video from when I first started trying to get Seamus used to pellets and hands. He’s so gentle.

Don’t mind the mess on the cage, we had a handfeeding attempt right before this lol.

Last edited:

Hankmacaw

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Mary Lynn Skinner
Did the Dr. do any xrays on him? He may have arthritis (Jasper had arthritis when she was 6 1/2) and 12 isn't too young with the life he's had. She sleeps in a big dog crate with a big dog bed and a flannel covering over it and has for 6/7 years now. It gives her arthritic legs and feet some rest. She loves the crate now and goes right in at bedtime.

Hank slept on the floor in the aviary about 1/2 of the time. I put blankets down for him in the corner and he would sleep there. He was 34 when he died, but had slept on the floor much of the time for several years.

MiniMacaw

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Lisa
Did the Dr. do any xrays on him? He may have arthritis (Jasper had arthritis when she was 6 1/2) and 12 isn't too young with the life he's had. She sleeps in a big dog crate with a big dog bed and a flannel covering over it and has for 6/7 years now. It gives her arthritic legs and feet some rest. She loves the crate now and goes right in at bedtime.

Hank slept on the floor in the aviary about 1/2 of the time. I put blankets down for him in the corner and he would sleep there. He was 34 when he died, but had slept on the floor much of the time for several years.
No, we didn’t do xrays. I’ll bring it up next time I talk to him. I’ll definitely put a blanket down tonight and see how that works. We’re still trying to get into a good routine. He seems very interested in the shower being on so I’m going to see how he does being let out tonight to just explore the room and maybe make his way to the shower like bowser likes to do.

Hankmacaw

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Mary Lynn Skinner
I'll bet that boy would love to have a shower. Probably hasn't had one for years. Did he have a home before the woman you got him from? Sounds to me like he's been hit.

faislaq

I have macaws and don't post enough pictures
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Karen
No, we didn’t do xrays. I’ll bring it up next time I talk to him. I’ll definitely put a blanket down tonight and see how that works. We’re still trying to get into a good routine. He seems very interested in the shower being on so I’m going to see how he does being let out tonight to just explore the room and maybe make his way to the shower like bowser likes to do.
Bowser's shower pics are some of mine and hubby's favorite pics on AA. :heart: Right up there with the picture of him eating his first mash. :swoon:

Last edited:

MiniMacaw

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Lisa
I'll bet that boy would love to have a shower. Probably hasn't had one for years. Did he have a home before the woman you got him from? Sounds to me like he's been hit.
Yes, he was in another home. The woman before me got him January 2017. I know nothing of his time before her other than that pic I showed some posts back where his bottom beak grew up and over the top being the condition they kept him in.

Hankmacaw

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Mary Lynn Skinner
Yep - he's had a rough life. The abused ones push a special button in me (part of it is the desire to maim someone badly) - Hank was badly abused for ten years and I was never able to get him to forget completely. Well Seamus is in birdy heaven now and has the chance to be the very best he can be. A long way to go, but you, Bowser, Seamus and your wonderful husband will get there.

Birdie Mama

Mayor of the Avenue
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Just my two cents worth ....

coild you disguise the syringe in a finger puppet or as toy ..stick with wingsand a bell...anything that will make him forget its a syringe. Something like when we play airplane to make kids eat....

all the best and thank you for taking him in...

MiniMacaw

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Lisa
Just my two cents worth ....

coild you disguise the syringe in a finger puppet or as toy ..stick with wingsand a bell...anything that will make him forget its a syringe. Something like when we play airplane to make kids eat....

all the best and thank you for taking him in...
Unfortunately he’s scared of toys and hands as much as syringes. I’ve just gotten him feeling safe taking food from me, but I can’t even put more than the two tiny toys I have in his cage now or he screams in fear. I am going to work on this though and maybe one day I can make a good disguise for his syringe med delivery. :)

MiniMacaw

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Lisa
Thought I’d end the nights posts with a pic of Seamus after his pain meds...his strong and nap inducing pain meds lol. He gets this in the afternoon all by itself so he can have a good rest. C04248D7-E945-4112-AE0A-E388A6E4CCEF.jpeg

Ulis_Beast

Real Name
Doroteja Lenassi
Thought I’d end the nights posts with a pic of Seamus after his pain meds...his strong and nap inducing pain meds lol. He gets this in the afternoon all by itself so he can have a good rest. View attachment 348137
The expression on his face, meds or no meds, priceless.
I think he knows he's home, that he's safe.