• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Pictures Help!

Macawnutz

Seriously Nutz!
Super Administrator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Sarah

The O ring Syringes last forever. If you buy the plunger type syringe they are garbage after two washings.

sunnysmom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Michelle
Oh yah, that's the yucky one. My son and Korbel have sensitivity to sulfa.
I do too. I didn't know it effected birds also. I hope Seamus starts to feel better soon.

Hankmacaw

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Mary Lynn Skinner
How did it go with trying to give him his meds without toweling him last night? How's he feeling this morning - prettty crappy, I imagine?

He's in my mind all of the time.

rocky'smom

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
laurie
Were you able to get some food in? Along with meds?

MiniMacaw

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Lisa
It took many many hours and tries until we discovered he would take a peanut butter pie...which is a dollop of peanut butter, a center of meds, topped with another dollop of peanut butter. I don’t know if that’ll keep working and I know peanut butter isn’t the best, but it got his meds into him so far.

He seems to be hurting a bit today. Less appetite which the dr said to expect. He kept me up until the sun came up. He just didn’t want to sleep even with the lights off. He stayed on the side of the cage next to me just mumbling. So I stroked his beak and finally around six am he went to perch on his favorite one and sleep. This afternoon we’re all tired and cranky lol but he is drinking well.
Still waiting on the compounding pharmacy to get the final meds finished so I can pick them up.

I’m going to get those 60cc syringes and some handfeeding formula today. I think even if angrily bites at it I can get something in him at least just for this painful period he’s in. He did the feed me motion with his head last night like a baby so it’s worth a try.

I’m exhausted, he’s exhausted but we’re working on it. He will get his meds in him no matter what. Whether or not I get sleep is another issue :goodnight2:.

Hankmacaw

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Mary Lynn Skinner
While you are out and about, get a bottle of Almond Butter (Walmart has it for about the least). He will probably like it as well and there is no saturated fat in it.

I have to feed Jasper by hand quite often, when her weight drops. I use Harrison's or Roudybush pellets ground fine in the blender then I add Almond Butter and Tofu (high protein) and Olive oil ( high calorie, high fat - no saturated fats) and you can use the oat milk as liquid. He needs lots of calories, but not lots of bad fats. He needs to gain most of his weight from protien. Even at that age they like it at 105 f.

Maybe he will sleep tonight.

Last edited:

MiniMacaw

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Lisa
While you are out and about, get a bottle of Almond Butter (Walmart has it for about the least). He will probably like it as well and there is no saturated fat in it.

I have to feed Jasper by hand quite often, when her weight drops. I use Harrison's or Roudybush pellets ground fine in the blender then I add Almond Butter and Tofu (high protein) and Olive oil ( high calorie, high fat - no saturated fats) and you can use the oat milk as liquid. He needs lots of calories, but not lots of bad fats. He needs to gain most of his weight from protien. Even at that age they like it at 105 f.

Maybe he will sleep tonight.
I’ll give this a try. I’m trying to find syringes locally until our shipment of better ones arrives. The vets office may have some but I had to leave a message.

My husband said he just ate a whole bowl of softened Harrison’s (which a whole bowl for him is about ten pieces but it’s a start).

Hankmacaw

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Mary Lynn Skinner
Shhh - don't tell Sarah, but I use a 3cc syringe. Jasper just doesn't like the big syringes.

MiniMacaw

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Lisa
Shhh - don't tell Sarah, but I use a 3cc syringe. Jasper just doesn't like the big syringes.
In my case I’m hoping he doesn’t associate the huge syringe with the tiny ones he’s been using. If he even sees someone across the room holding a small syringe he screams and flings himself to the back corner of his cage to huddle. He has an actual phobia to them. If I even put an empty one on a perch he will scream and run, flinging himself into the cage so I don’t even try that anymore. But maybe if it’s huge and filled with warmed formula he can find some comfort in it since he’s never had that size before.

The vets office got back to me and they have a bunch of different syringes for me to try so I’ll update if anything works.

MiniMacaw

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Lisa
Next issue...He very purposefully uses his foot to separate the smaller inner feathers from the longer flights and puts them over his head. Then he gnaws on them. I was told by his previous home that he has a habit of chewing those feathers. Is it just a self soothing mechanism? 46083BE2-661A-4B45-B06D-E184BDE36863.jpeg 2E752A0C-FFE1-48AB-881E-DCD71D47FE68.jpeg D3ED8957-CDC4-47FB-A109-E626172ED9B3.jpeg 2E3EFEA9-E340-44B8-88DC-FCA58799CCE3.jpeg 9D746817-1179-4B80-9C2F-674A0771A659.jpeg

Hankmacaw

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Mary Lynn Skinner
@rocky'smom Actually the cashew butter has less saturated fat than peanut butter too. I tried it once and picky Jasper didn't like it.

@MiniMacaw I wonder if he is doing that out of a need for protien or just hunger like Bowser. Could be habit, but I don't think so. Good queation for Dr. Driggers

Macawnutz

Seriously Nutz!
Super Administrator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Sarah
Leave the feather thing alone for now. Cha does that and has since she was a baby. I can correct it by clipping those few feathers out. ( she doesn't fly anyway ) but it soothes her so I let that wing be a mess.

MiniMacaw

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Lisa
He isn’t normal lol. We put drops of medicine on top of his hard and crunchy Harrison’s pellets. He loves it! He ate every piece and got all the medicine. (This time antibiotic and pain meds). I know wisdom says make it soft but he is refusing it softened right now. He wanted crunchy and he ate it great.
He seems to have perked up too after his real meal.

Macawnutz

Seriously Nutz!
Super Administrator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Sarah
USER] was right again. :)
Terbinafine every day for the next 30 days to start.
Kinda like cheating though... ;) I expect them to be completely in sync after so many years. Lol

Are those the meds from the compounding pharmacy? I always compound meds and flavor them peanut butter flavor. You will be doing meds for awhile Lisa. Get in good with that pharmacy and use them for everything.

I have a veterinary compounding pharmacy i use. They have all my info and cards on file. When a medication comes in they have my flavor and card on file and they know to ship it ASAP overnight to me.