• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Pictures Help!

rocky'smom

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
laurie

MiniMacaw

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Lisa
I’ve been trying to wait on his bloodwork to come back before updating but I still have not heard anything on it yet.

So I’ll update just the good things :) .

He’s eating great; even trying out new foods like fresh cantaloupe and mango. He is looking brighter to me and seems to be getting used to his new home. He kept sleeping on the floor and not touching the blanket I put there...until today. :heart: He finally tried it out and even ate lunch on it. Hes doing good for all he’s been through.

90D7B580-1A26-40A0-BC29-B73963FA72C6.jpeg D1329AEA-8B41-4F2E-A22B-00037C827266.jpeg

MiniMacaw

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Lisa
If you’re wondering how excited Seamus gets when he sees a plate of fresh fruit on the desk by his cage (before I get his bowl cleaned and refilled) here he is... :rofl:

faislaq

I have macaws and don't post enough pictures
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Karen
I love his happy dance! And he's clearly feeling much better already! :pinklol3:

MiniMacaw

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Lisa
How is Seamus doing today?
Seamus is doing really good. :heart:

I got a call from Dr Driggers just a few minutes ago. He told me he’s only seen one other patient in his entire career with a worse beak than Seamus, which says a lot. He said he’s happy to say that his bloodwork isn’t terrible. High end of normal for a few things. Calcium is low but not terribly so. His bacterial culture showed flourishing colonies of a variety of bacteria. The stains are still pending and will tell us if his meds are the correct ones or if we need to change/adjust them. The fungal cultures are also still pending.
Mainly Dr Driggers said his concern is that since Seamus went so long being poorly treated that the vascular system of his mouth may be compromised. And then the antibiotics and antifungals will have a harder time traveling to the infected areas so we’re looking at a long term medicating plan and frequent cleanings of his mouth/beak...but we knew that.
He also recommends a listerine mouth rinse for Seamus daily...we’ll see how that goes. :rofl:

Hankmacaw

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Mary Lynn Skinner
That may no go over very well with Seamus. LOL

I can't believe this current lab. You and I need to get together and start some competition - that's what happened with Elements - Diamondback got so bad that Elements just slid right in and took over the compounding pharmacy business.

MiniMacaw

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Lisa
That may no go over very well with Seamus. LOL

I can't believe this current lab. You and I need to get together and start some competition - that's what happened with Elements - Diamondback got so bad that Elements just slid right in and took over the compounding pharmacy business.
Dr Driggers said it’s been running about 48 hours behind on the stains. It is frustrating.

I’m excited to show off Seamus to him on the next appt. I think it’s going to really surprise him how clean Seamus’s beak is now.

Hankmacaw

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Mary Lynn Skinner
I’m excited to show off Seamus to him on the next appt. I think it’s going to really surprise him how clean Seamus’s beak is now.
No doubt about, Dr. Driggers is going to be pleased with Seamus' progress. I hope that the ones he saves compensates a little for those he can't save.

MiniMacaw

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Lisa
Seamus update:
The Dr called me with his bacterial cuture and histopath. We are still waiting on the fungal culture, which takes a few additional days.
He said Seamus has 3 fourishing colonies of bacteria. The most serious of which is e-coli. He has a 2+ count, which is very high. The good news is we also tested to make sure that Seamus has no immunity to the antibiotics he's on, and the Dr says that he doesn't. So for 3 months he'll stay on the meds he's currently on. Then at that point, we'll switch him to a second, equally as strong antibiotic so his system doesn't get too used to one and it stops being effective.
The second bacteria he had was related to fecal material, so I was told he had to have had his own feces in his mouth. Which, I'm guessing, was from his cage not be cleaned regularly.

Weighing him is going to a big thing too, since he's eating so well. If he gains a lot of weight (which he should) then his dosage will need to be upped so it's not diluted. He needs to gain at least 70 grams to be on the low end of normal for a Military.

Other than all that lol, he's doing really well. He's getting out of the cage every day and feeling more comfortable being around people.

faislaq

I have macaws and don't post enough pictures
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Karen
Seamus’s first beak grind attempt.
Probably the first time he's felt pain-free enough to attempt a beak grind, not to mention content enough. Y'all are doing such an amazing job with him! :loveshower:

I love Seamus' sweet, sleepy, happy eyes and his big ol' feet. :xflove:

Have he and Bowser been talking through the house much? :bgm: :mil: (we need a better military macaw emoji)

aooratrix

Macawaholic
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Matthew
I am glad to see he's improving. He's got a long row to hoe, as you know. I can't imagine giving a bird listerine orally. Good luck with that.