• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Pictures Help!

MiniMacaw

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Lisa
Ok guys, I said Bowser would be my only big macaw. Then I came upon a local listing for a 12 year old military macaw with many many health problems that needs a new home. A very wonderful lady was caring for him but she never intended to be his forever so was hoping someone would take him. She tried for years and no one wanted him. I just happened upon his posting and we decided to meet. He gave me air macaw kisses and she said everyone he’d met so far he hadn’t taken to. And you guys know me by now, I get air macaw kisses I bring my new military macaw home :hilarious:.

This is where I need help from people with more experience than I. We think he has aspers. Previous home was told he had “a fungal infection” years ago and he’s been on meds off and on ever since. He hasn’t gotten a whole lot of treatment because cost was a concern before (and this is nothing against his previous home, she’s absolutely wonderful but things happen) and I’ll be taking care of him now.

He has parts of his beak rotted away also with nasal discharge. (He is currently on 0.23 ml Voriconazole daily)
He has an appt with dr driggers at 815 tomorrow am. I’ll post more of his meds and records when we get home; we’re still driving since it was over an hour away.

But here’s the big guy. No name yet. 43FA87F4-CCBF-42E1-89EF-6118DB8B07F1.jpeg

Last edited:

greys4u

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
what about a name that was in Bowsers group??

faislaq

I have macaws and don't post enough pictures
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Karen

Hankmacaw

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Mary Lynn Skinner
@MiniMacaw Dr. Driggers is awfully good with aspers - Hank taught him with over 5 years of treatment. And Jasper had it twice too. Your baby may need some surgery - laparoscopic to clean up some of the spots and get rid of any granulomas. Don't worry about laparoscopy - my birds came out of several better than when they went in.

If you have questions don't hesitate to PM me.
The yellow in his mouth appears like it could be a vitamin A deficiency.

MiniMacaw

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Lisa
:loveshower:

I almost missed this! Such a sweet face despite the issues. Is it painful for him?
It’s bothering him for sure, but I don’t know how painful it is. He’s scratching inside his mouth pretty regularly. The top inside of his beak is just yellow brown slush. He seems to be doing ok right now though until his appt tomorrow first thing.

MiniMacaw

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Lisa
@MiniMacaw Dr. Driggers is awfully good with aspers - Hank taught him with over 5 years of treatment. And Jasper had it twice too. Your baby may need some surgery - laparoscopic to clean up some of the spots and get rid of any granulomas. Don't worry about laparoscopy - my birds came out of several better than when they went in.

If you have questions don't hesitate to PM me.
Thank you. The person who had him until now never got a diagnosis on him. They just treat with the antifungal regularly and declined any further diagnostics. So tomorrow we’ll find out which fungal infection they’ve been treating for so long. And I also think he has a few other issues with the nasal discharge, etc. He also doesn’t eat pellets (prob because his mouth is so sore) and has been living on a mix of nuts and fruits and seeds. So I’ll try to get some nutrition into him somehow.

Macawnutz

Seriously Nutz!
Super Administrator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Sarah
You are seeing driggers so you have nothing to worry about. He has found the best home ever so he has nothing to worry about. Both of you can sleep good tonight. ;)

And BTW I will now go take my heart medications after reading your thread title!

MiniMacaw

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Lisa
You are seeing driggers so you have nothing to worry about. He has found the best home ever so he has nothing to worry about. Both of you can sleep good tonight. ;)

And BTW I will now go take my heart medications after reading your thread title!
I’m sorry lol, I may have been feeling a little dramatic after seeing him. :hilarious: He really is a mess.

I had zero plans to get another large macaw. Zero. So naturally I happen upon one in maybe worse shape than Bowser was. I just couldn’t not take him. I still don’t know his personality too much, other than he’s terrified of literally everything. And I was told he won’t eat regularly or play with toys. So we have some work to do. :)

Macawnutz

Seriously Nutz!
Super Administrator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Sarah
You have the best vet so, trust him. Be ready for some expensive appointments though. Asper costs a fortune to diagnose and treat, all the fungal infections do. Let's hope for the best.