• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Pictures Help!

MiniMacaw

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Lisa
I just talked to the Drs office. They got busy after we left and still haven’t finished the notes/pharmacy portion but I have the first two meds.
TMS SMZ (48mg/ml) 0.75 ml twice daily
Meloxicam (2mg/ml) 0.37 ml once daily

He got some pretty potent intramuscular injections today as well to help.

Macawnutz

Seriously Nutz!
Super Administrator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Sarah
Just remember you will have to be the bad guy in his eyes to do the right thing.

He will get over it, the meds and toweling.. Just be the nurse for now. I know it's hard but put the emotions aside and do what you have to do.

Hankmacaw

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Mary Lynn Skinner
I hope that he can tolerate that TMS SMZ (it is a sulfa based antibiotic) It Wouldn't even hit Hanks's stomach and back up it would come. Anyway, be ready. Jasper tolerates it fairly well.

Macawnutz

Seriously Nutz!
Super Administrator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Sarah
I hope that he can tolerate that TMS SMZ (it is a sulfa based antibiotic) It Wouldn't even hit Hanks's stomach and back up it would come. Anyway, be ready. Jasper tolerates it fairly well.
Oh yah, that's the yucky one. My son and Korbel have sensitivity to sulfa.

MiniMacaw

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Lisa
Oh no...well here’s hoping he tolerates it. Poor guy doesn’t need to add retching to his list of problems today.

Macawnutz

Seriously Nutz!
Super Administrator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Sarah
Yah.. Like ML's experience if Korbel doesn't tolerate something... it hits the bottom and comes flying back out. My son gets rashes.

rocky'smom

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
laurie
Poor big guy, he has found his guardian angel with you all. Because his mouth is so tender from the infections, I wonder if some really soften (mushy) pellets would help. Almost to baby cereal stage of mushy. I know that Nicky had feed little Eddie with soften pellets for awhile because Eddie had cracked beak.

aooratrix

Macawaholic
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Matthew
A lot of his behavior is due to feeling awful, as you know. Like Sarah said, you may have to be tough with him to medicate him, but he'll realize that you saved him. Once he heals and starts to feel better, he'll improve by leaps and bounds. So glad you took him in.

MiniMacaw

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Lisa
Poor big guy, he has found his guardian angel with you all. Because his mouth is so tender from the infections, I wonder if some really soften (mushy) pellets would help. Almost to baby cereal stage of mushy. I know that Nicky had feed little Eddie with soften pellets for awhile because Eddie had cracked beak.
This is what I’m trying tonight. He’s just sleeping a lot now, but he’ll have mush pellets when he wakes up as an option. :heart:

MiniMacaw

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Lisa
Awwww he is so sad...

Do you have 60cc syringes?
He’s feeling it a bit now. But he does look better at least without all the rot in his beak.

They gave me only little syringes. I don’t have a 60cc hanging around but I can get one first thing tomorrow.

Macawnutz

Seriously Nutz!
Super Administrator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Sarah
I'll link you the good ones tomorrow. Maybe get a few in case he wants to bypass touching that beak with food. Maybe a few syringes and some handfeeging formula. Poor guy.

Shezbug

ASK ME FOR PICTURES OF MY MACAW!
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Shez
Poor boy! I can't wait to see his health and happiness transformation now he is with you. I won't say he is lucky to have found you because he deserves all the love and excellent care that he will get from you, I sure am glad your paths crossed though :)

MiniMacaw

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Lisa
Well, in case this post hasn’t made you sad enough, this should do it. I received this pic today of Seamus before his previous owner got the excess beak removed. That’s his lower beak that grew an excess portion up and over his nostril. Who knows how long he lived that way? No wonder his upper beak is slanted to the side. This pic was taken back in 2017. Constant meds (different ones, sometimes repeats) since on and off. The owner declined most diagnostics (and I’m not condemning them, things happen, budgets happen and they did the right thing by finding him a new home eventually) and so the problem grew because who knows if those meds did anything...his dr said today the one he was on wouldn’t affect his infections so he may have been toweled and given oral meds to the point of his extreme towel and syringe phobia for nothing, every time. 175AC013-2548-4F05-AC47-C9B27F10772E.jpeg :sad2::bash:

Last edited: