• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

HELP WITH SECOND BUDGIE

Bbybleu

Moving in
Real Name
Tanya
I need help! So I bought my old budgie (who had now been with me for 1 year) a new budgie and he is being aggressive towards me. He is NEVER like this. Me and him have such a strong bond and he never acts like this. Now it’s attacking me and biting me when I come near his new friend. Anyone know why? Or any suggestions?

Sunni Tiel

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Rachel
He could be jealous. He's used to having you all to himself, and now you're sharing your time with somebirdy else.

Bbybleu

Moving in
Real Name
Tanya
Yes the one I I’ve had for a year (bleu) is a male. The one I just bought is too young to be sexed. But the new one has a pink cere and bleu also had a pink cere when he was younger

Sunni Tiel

Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Rachel
I'm not very good at identifying, but @camelotshadow might be able to help... Can't think of anyone else off the top of my head...

Sparkles99

Biking along the boulevard
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
I agree with ParrotNuts. Looks like a gorgeous, little guy! But others will know for sure.

Ripshod

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Linden
Yep, he's a little fella.
Budgies always tend to prefer the company of another budgie, and with this one being young and bonded with your older budgie the older one may get defensive/protective.
If you can, continue your existing relationship with your older budgie on his terms and hopefully he will eventually encourage the new guy to interact with you once he sees you're not a threat.
No guarantees though, it's like forecasting the weather 3 months ahead.

Bbybleu

Moving in
Real Name
Tanya
Yep, he's a little fella.
Budgies always tend to prefer the company of another budgie, and with this one being young and bonded with your older budgie the older one may get defensive/protective.
If you can, continue your existing relationship with your older budgie on his terms and hopefully he will eventually encourage the new guy to interact with you once he sees you're not a threat.
No guarantees though, it's like forecasting the weather 3 months ahead.
Thank you so much! Do you think I should return the little guy if he still acts this way? I also noticed that my older one is okay when he is not around the little one. He bites me when I’m around the little guy.

Ripshod

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Linden
Thank you so much! Do you think I should return the little guy if he still acts this way? I also noticed that my older one is okay when he is not around the little one. He bites me when I’m around the little guy.
Why return him? You'll likely still have this problem if you get another budgie. Budgies tend to prefer the company of another budgie over a human.
Keep working with him. You can see what the issue is so just avoid those situations. He'll relax, you'll relax.

Destiny

Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Destiny
Yeah, I think you should just give your older budgie more time and space. It sounds like he is being over protective and "guarding". He will probably calm down and loosen up in time.

Avoid putting yourself in situations that provoke bites. Let him know that you are not going to take away his new friend and you are not a threat, by respecting his boundaries. Be patient. He knows you and will figure it out.

Whenever you add a new bird, it is always going to upset the existing flock dynamic, for better or worse. It takes a little while for the drama to die down sometimes, but it usually works out in the end.

Sparkles99

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
I agree about giving the budgies & yourself time. Chances are things will work out. I thought my two males would never get along. The other day I saw them preening each other's heads (they're moulting). :)