• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Help! - Rainbow lorikeet food

Lori_Love5

Moving in
Real Name
Sam
Hi, I have a male rainbow lorikeet I just recently started taking care of, I was feeding him apples and other fruits and didn’t know he needed nectar and pollen till recently, today I received his orlux Lori feed which contains both nectar and pollen, I wanted to ask as well as this feed along with apples and mangos, shall I be feeding my bird anything else that’s really important? Thank you.

Attachments

kitkat99

Checking out the neighborhood
Real Name
Kat
Welcome to the forum.

@kitkat99 ?
Hello- I've never posted on here before so apologies if I mess this up.

I don't have any personal experience with lorikeets, but a friend of mine has two. She feeds various bird-safe fruits and vegetables along with a nectar/pollen food. I believe the pollen is a good source of protein for them. Vitamin/mineral supplements may be necessary depending on whether the nectar/pollen has been fortified. It looks like the brand you posted is a fortified diet, though.
My friend really never feeds any sort of dry or pelleted food, but occasionally will use something like that for treats and training. It's not healthy for them to have the bulk of their diet be dry food.

If anyone else has suggestions or corrections, feel free. I'm more of a canary/finch person so I don't want to give any incorrect info.

Ripshod

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Linden
:hello::welave:

Lori_Love5

Moving in
Real Name
Sam
Hello- I've never posted on here before so apologies if I mess this up.

I don't have any personal experience with lorikeets, but a friend of mine has two. She feeds various bird-safe fruits and vegetables along with a nectar/pollen food. I believe the pollen is a good source of protein for them. Vitamin/mineral supplements may be necessary depending on whether the nectar/pollen has been fortified. It looks like the brand you posted is a fortified diet, though.
My friend really never feeds any sort of dry or pelleted food, but occasionally will use something like that for treats and training. It's not healthy for them to have the bulk of their diet be dry food.

If anyone else has suggestions or corrections, feel free. I'm more of a canary/finch person so I don't want to give any incorrect info.

Thank you so much!! I have been worried all day thinking I may of been feeding him everything wrong, your comment has really helped me out. Hope you have a great day

Appolosmom

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Bev
if you go on youtube there is a lady that has a show called love of pets and she has a topic on lorikeets, I find her very informative.

expressmailtome

Ripping up the road
Administrator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Matthew
Welcome, and enjoy the site!