• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Help me decide...

jmfleish

Cruising the avenue
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Jen
I think your best bet would be to volunteer at a rescue if you have one near you and get to know the different species and possibly find your next bird there. The wonderful thing about getting to know an adult bird is that their personality is already forged and you know what you are getting for the most part. You will find the qualities that you can live with or even fall in love with and you know what you are bringing home and you give a homeless bird a second chance...two birds with one stone!:)

alshgs

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Hey love, so sorry for your loss. I have a 6 and a have month old male plum head parakeet who is the silliest boy. They can be loud at times, but no where near the call of sun. He's mainly loud in the mornings when he wants out of his cage to eat (he comes and goes as he pleases) Presently, he does not like to be touched, but will give kisses and absolutely loves to be on your shoulder and know what you are doing at all times. Have you considered a moustache parakeet? From what I have read, they are loving, quiet and generally very good birds. I recently put down a deposit on one that is soon to be hatched.

rompydompy

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Natalie
Yes I know. Thanks. My female yellow sided and him (6yrs)have been raised together since babies. The male cinnamon on top of the dogs head is a rescue. I've only had him since Oct 14'. I always supervise them. I have experience in dealing with unpredictable people and pets. :)
If you already know, why do you keep posting this photo? This is the second warning on this same picture you've had in a couple of months. To those who've lost birds to other pets, this is very upsetting. Please follow the rules, they are there for a reason.

Laurah

Sprinting down the street
Avenue Veteran
Yea I didn't mean to offend anyone. I'm going to cancel my account. Sorry for bothering anyone. I've lost a German Shepard that was very dear to me and have his ashes. I'm not a 20 something year old and have always had a muti pet home. I deal with severe depression on a daily basis. My pets are very happy and I take very good care of them. Don't throw stones at glass houses.....

Last edited:

ConureTiel

Sprinting down the street
Avenue Veteran
That's certainly up to you, Laurah, but I am so sorry that the feedback that that photo is going to cause some people to react negatively makes you want to leave the forum. I hope you will reconsider that! It really is a great forum, one of the best on the internet I've ever found, and definitely the best re: bird ownership and husbandry!

Truthfully, in the photo your dog is looking away, laid back angle of his ears - maybe he is one who doesn't like having a camera pointed at him (one of my Cairns immediately turns away if she realizes you have a camera on her), but in that photo (which is just a split second in time, I realize) -- your pittie looks to me like he is tolerating but not enjoying having the birds on him. So yeah, the photo makes me worry "what if," though I hear you when you say you are comfortable with the situation, always supervise, etc. Obviously, as the owner or "mom" to all the pets you know them best.

However, we have had sad losses to dogs/other pets here in this community, so again this picture is just going to elicit some virtual gasps and worry from some of the membership. But I don't think anyone wants you to leave or quit posting!

Greybeh

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Heather Jacoby
I've decided to bring home a green cheek conure. His name is "Spencer." I'm going to try to upload his holiday pics from the breeder! I think I can give him a wonderful home and make this little guy so happy! I'm going to do my best. He is all I think about anymore. I bring him home at the end of April. :)

Spencer St Patricks Day.jpg Spencer Easter.jpg

sunnysmom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Michelle
He's adorable! :) Congrats!

txdyna65

Rollerblading along the road