• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Dragonborn

Checking out the neighborhood
Real Name
Jake
My name is Jake. I'm a gamer, a hair stylist, and a parrot lover.

I have a Sun Conure (Drakos), a Quaker (Sky), and two budgies (Frosty and Storm).

As I'm sure most people don't join on a whim, I do have a little bit of a situation:
Currently I've had to downsize and my Sun and Quaker are living together. It's been a stressful year for us due to various events, but they are getting along well enough to feed each other occasionally. However, Sky likes to bully Drakos out of the way when I'm giving him affection and I'm not quite certain what to do about it. All of them were free flighted, but Sky is in a serious bratty phase and super aggressive and accustomed to biting and flying away. It's become quite an ingrained habit. She's also EXTREMELY cage-aggressive. She does this to humans and birds alike so I decided to give her a very light wing trim and she's already much calmer. She can still fly, but it's taken her attitude down a notch. Does anyone have any recommendations for training her to not focus immediately on Drakos when I'm giving him attention. Frankly I'm much closer to Drakos than her and as much as I love her and want to include her, she doesn't seem to understand the idea of personal space and I'd like to get her to enjoy her toys and such more and ask for attention from me more gently. It actually quite infuriates me when I see Drakos in any danger or come to any harm, even if it's a peck from a blustering Quaker.

Drakos was clipped one time by me. He kept dive-bombing my friend. I let him use that regrowth time to develop new habits when new people are around and while he's still standoffish with new people, he's much more reserved than the overly hostile and jealous adolescent dive-bombing he started to do before I gave him cause to really think about weather it was worth it to fly at someone. I never do complete wing clippings where my birds completely lose flight, but losing just enough to make him have to put in some real effort seemed to cool his attitude quite a bit. He seems to really think things out before he flies at anyone anymore, which he almost never does anymore. I'm hoping the same is true for Sky.

Does anyone have any other advice? I'm open to anything except a fully grounding clipping.

Thanks everyone!

Jake

sunnysmom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Michelle
Welcome to the forum!

I'm sure others will have some advice for you soon. :)

JessieW

Sprinting down the street
[Welcome! I don't have that issue. Although mine are not caged together. I hope someone can give some help to you soon!

Cynthia & Percy

cockatoo mania
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avian Angel
Real Name
cynthia
welcome

Beth In Alaska

Rollerblading along the road
Real Name
Beth
perhaps sky and draco could each have separate out of cage time with you?

CrazyBirdChick

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Diane
Hello & welcome!

I'm sorry I don't really have advice as I only have 1 bird at the moment, and I'm no expert, but I do believe quakers are known for being territorial and kind of bullies to other birds. Not always but I think it's pretty common.

How old is Sky? Is it possible she's just reaching sexual maturity (1-2 years old)? Hopefully, if so, she might calm down a little with age, and the seasons. I hope someone else comes along with some advice for you soon!

P.S. We love pictures around here

Tiel Feathers

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Deanna
:welcomesign:

Sylvi_

Rollerblading along the road