• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Gryphon

Status
Not open for further replies.

waterfaller1

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
carole
So nice to finally meet him!!! He's gorgeous...
*off to read about mousebirds*
What are they like personality wise as a bird?
Hi Audra, thank you.:) He is curious, fearless, sweet, funny, and just adorable. He is very smart for such a little guy. I find softbills to be very aware of everything. Not skiddish, he bolts right into anything new. If I walk in eating something, he will want to try it also. The thing where he shimmied around on my desk was so cute. Now he is learning there is a pane of glass beyond the blinds, so he is content to skip up each slat until he reaches his vantage point to observe the world outside. I am thinking of trying a tiny harness so he can go outside to get sun. I am just loving him.:cloud9:

f3ath3rs2

Sprinting down the street
Real Name
Audra
It makes me want to meet one so badly to see how they are, I can't even imagine it lol... soooo cute!!! I'm definitely watching out for more posts and pics of this cute thing!

waterfaller1

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
carole
Thank you Audra:hug8: He is so cool:p

southernbirds

Rollerblading along the road
He seems so cool. I am amazed at how he perches so nicely and is so attached to you so quickly. Is this one of their characteristics? Having never heard of one before you got Gryphon i'm glad we all have the opportunity to be introduced to such a cutie. I never have seen one even in the so called "bird exclusive" stores. I am really looking forward to all your posts about him. Enjoy all his growing up and then some!!

Allessa

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Janifer
Carole your flock is one of the most interesting/unique ones ive ever seen. I think he is absolutely stunning!

waterfaller1

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
carole
Thank you Cherry & Jani!:hug8:
Yes, I think they are sort of easy to tame, although this guy was domestic bred, I don't think 'handfed'. Have to double check with Susanne. She had told me that people did not have success handfeeding though. He did take to me really fast...I am the bird whisperer..
J/K..:lol:

Renae

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
He's so different which makes him so special. His tail is amazing, and his colors are so pretty together! :heart:

srtiels

Ripping up the road
Mayor of the Avenue
Avian Angel
Real Name
Susanne
Thank you Cherry & Jani!:hug8:
Yes, I think they are sort of easy to tame, although this guy was domestic bred, I don't think 'handfed'. Have to double check with Susanne. She had told me that people did not have success handfeeding though. He did take to me really fast...I am the bird whisperer..
J/K..:lol:
--------------------------------------------------------------

Since they are social birds and depend on flock members for attention, when a lone bird, a human is their flock.

The nice thing is they do not bite and lock onto your fingers like most parrot type birds. Even the wild caught and parent raised mousers tend to be docile when caught, and will squirm in the hand to be free, but no biting. Nipping can occur from a hungry mouser, or one that tries to be the dominant bird in his social human circle. They learn fast and realte to NO! to bad behavior.

Handfeeding failures occur when a person tries to handfeed from day one....somehow they don't make it to 3-4 days of age. If pulled at 10 days old they are fine as far as handfeeding. Any later and they will fight the handfeeder. I have learned to let the parents wean out the babies, and just handle them everyday. If one is to be a pet it can be clipped and handled AWAY from hearing or seeing other flock members. Within a week they seek human contact.

akijoy

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Monica
His is lovely.

Does he get along with the rest of your flock? or do you have to have them out separately?

southernbirds

I am totally in awe of of this unusual bird. How did you come to breed them Susan. Also, Carole, how did you come to want one:) Thanks for the explanation of "hand feeding". I really love the stories behind the birds and how and why someone would get attracted to a certain specie. Tight now ....I love them all and am just sticking to my English Budgie. But I am always searching for the next one,.

srtiels

Ripping up the road
Mayor of the Avenue
Avian Angel
Real Name
Susanne
I got into mousebirds because the dander from tiels had started to affect my lungs. Mousebird feathers are unique and they do not produce powder down.

Also...below is some mousbird pix's to show some tail lengths. These little birds sure have some long tails... They sleep hanging from the top of the cage by their feet.

Attachments

ncGreyBirdLady

They call Me crazy like its a bad thing!
Administrator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Bonnie
:omg:Carole,He is beautiful:)

waterfaller1

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
carole
Thanks, as always Susanne, you are great!!:hug8:
His is lovely.

Does he get along with the rest of your flock? or do you have to have them out separately?
Hi Monica, thank you.:) He seems to be ok with Kismet and the creepers, but the macaws could potentially harm him, so we don't even go there. I take him out at separate times.

Also, Carole, how did you come to want one:) I really love the stories behind the birds and how and why someone would get attracted to a certain specie.,.
It's all Susanne's fault!:lol:
I just thought he was adorable and interesting. He is definitely like no other bird I have encountered.
:omg:Carole,He is beautiful:)
Thank you miss Bonnie. I just love him!:loveshower:

Last edited:

waterfaller1

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
carole
Gryphon's cage
We are waiting for cajeput coffee table perches to arrive

southernbirds

Just an amazing kind of bird. Imagine...sleeping upside down like a marsupial or a bat:)
So, Susanne where did you hear of the mousebird?

srtiels

Ripping up the road
Mayor of the Avenue
Avian Angel
Real Name
Susanne
So, Susanne where did you hear of the mousebird?
------------------------------------------------

Since I like cockatiels I did a Google search for other birds with crests and long tails. A mousebird came up in the search, and them I did a search on Mousebirds.

They sleep with their heads up, hanging from the feet.

Attachments

f3ath3rs2

Sprinting down the street
Real Name
Audra
fascinating birds... i wouldn't be able to add one to my flock for a long time (if ever) but they are so pretty to see and hear about!! :)

rockoko

Squawk and Meow!
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Martine
Love Gryphon's cage set-up!! :dance4:

Status
Not open for further replies.