• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Gryphon

Status
Not open for further replies.

waterfaller1

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
carole
I am sorry about the bread pic. I thought I charged up my camera but it was just sitting on Troy's dresser not plugged in:rolleyes: I will get a pic later. Going to lie down for an hour or so and make dad the birdy watchdog.:p Be back later...

waterfaller1

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
carole
Gryphon is 56 g.:dancing:

srtiels

Ripping up the road
Mayor of the Avenue
Avian Angel
Real Name
Susanne
Yes...the figs would be good this time of the year. I sent Kirby out for some and they were out of them.

waterfaller1

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
carole
Gryphon hanging out while I attempt to work..:p

srtiels

Ripping up the road
Mayor of the Avenue
Avian Angel
Real Name
Susanne
LOL...has he tried to eat the keyboard....LOL!

I can see his facial mask is getting pebbly like a mature males is. The little boy is growing up :)

waterfaller1

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
carole
Hehe..he won't get off the darn keyboard. He likes to sit in the middle, flattened down on it. I have been trying to get a pic, but when I pick up the camera he gets wary and moves. His face is a mess today from where I tried to wash it off.:rolleyes::p

Missi

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Missi
:heart: BAH! Cuteness overload! :laughing12:

southernbirds

I am just so amazed that these mousebirds are so friendly and tame. Do you have any dogs or cats? His name really suties him.

waterfaller1

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
carole
Aww thanks. Yes, I have a dog Heartly. He is the one who found Kismet. I would never trust a cat.And of course, I keep my dog in check.;)
He is really friendly, that's part of what makes them so fascinating to me. What small bird can you take from it's cage with a cupped hand, then when you open it they hop onto you instead of fly away. They can hold food with their feet, another strange thing for a softbill. He just is so different than any other bird.:)

Last edited:

southernbirds

Continue to enjoy and I'll continue to comment about how amazing they are...esp Gryphon!

waterfaller1

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
carole
Thanks Cherry!:p

southernbirds

You are welcome Carole. Like I said...one of these days I will have to see mousebirds in person. Have a great weekend.

Bokkapooh

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Mercedez
Gryphon is a darling!!!

Softbills are the best :D

Whats his diet consist of?

How old is he?

What's his story?

akijoy

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Monica
What an intriguing creature! Wish I could see him in person.

Do they go on boings and such? I'm wondering how they maneuver around with that loooooooong tail.

Anne & Gang

Riding the Skies
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Real Name
Anne
he is such an enigma!!! a wonderful, colorful charismatic birdie!!!

waterfaller1

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
carole
Gryphon is a darling!!!

Softbills are the best :D

Whats his diet consist of?

How old is he?

What's his story?
Thank you Mercedez. He is awesome.:D Gryphon has become somewhat spoiled since coming here. Some foods he used to eat with gusto, I now have to hold for him or he won't touch them.:rolleyes: Another reason I feel he needs a companion.:)
His favorites are banana, papaya,
romaine lettuce, gala apple, blueberries, wheat bread{I use low sodium ezekial bread} and small fruity pellets. He will also eat pear, prickly pear, peach or nectarine, shaved carrot, strawberry. Any fruit just about, as long as it's not acidic, and some veggies. Susanne's seem to depend on each other to encourage each other to eat. They are a very gregarious bird, the main reason I am leaning strongly towards wanting another. How to convince Troy another bird in the same cage, won't be any different than one? I promised he was the last bird.{It seems I said that a few times last year.:o:
In fact the second bird would probably eat the food Gryphon wastes. I felt for awhile he wasn't eating enough anymore, because without competition, he does not eat as greedily as he used to. I have been monitoring his weight though, and it's good and holding at 56g.
Susanne got him from a lady in CA I believe. He was handfed & raised, whereas most of the others are imports. He was her sentry, and would sit at the outside edge of the cage and call and call. She said he just wanted to be a pet. So I drove to south Fl in the beginning of December, and met Susanne..an amazing woman, and brought him home. I am so glad I did.:heart:
I think he is around 2 years old.

What an intriguing creature! Wish I could see him in person.

Do they go on boings and such? I'm wondering how they maneuver around with that loooooooong tail.
Hi Monica. He is so different and has such unique characteristics. He does have two rope perches. One hangs like a boing, the other is stretched and fastened on both ends. Amazingly that tail does not slow them down. They can fly quite well in fact.:p

he is such an enigma!!! a wonderful, colorful charismatic birdie!!!
Wow Anne, a wonderful,colorful, charismatic enigma? I am going to tell him you said that. Enigma would be a great name for a female.:)
Thanks everyone. He is really, really a neat bird.:hug8:

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.