• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Gryphon

Status
Not open for further replies.

waterfaller1

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
carole

tammie

Rollerblading along the road
Real Name
Tammie
I enjoy reading this thread and learning about the mouse bird. Now I want to see one and hold it to see what it feels like.
Are the mouse birds rare? Are there many breeders of them? Do they like aviaries best or is living in a huge cage like Gryphons ok?

waterfaller1

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
carole

srtiels

Ripping up the road
Mayor of the Avenue
Avian Angel
Real Name
Susanne
Carole...I got a email back from Teresa on the mousebird list...Hopefully she will be posting soon. She has blue-naped too.

In regards to mousebirds there are far less breeders and petbird owners of mousers than parrots. A careful search on the internet will help to locate some breeders, finding available birds/babies is harder, especially since with different locations and setups, the breeding times may vary between each locale.

If mousers are going to go to nest I don't think they are too choosey (especially the WB) on when and where. Last year this time I wasn't even setup for breeding in my WB flight and one day found an egg on the bottom of the cage of the WB colony. I found more eggs laying precariously on the wire platform above. I incubated those under tiels to see if they were fertile. And put some bedding in the WB cage and they went to nest again. The fostered eggs were good, but that is when I painfully learned it was near impossible to handfeed a mouser from day 1 :( I got the BN from an importer later in the year, and found that they were real picky on what they would use as a nesting site, so it was trial and error and found at least something that works for us...though still needs improvement.

waterfaller1

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
carole
I forget:o:...where did Gryphon come from?

srtiels

Ripping up the road
Mayor of the Avenue
Avian Angel
Real Name
Susanne
Gryphon came from Paula Strauser whom is in CA. I think Teresa is in CA too, I'm not sure. Kateri is in Oregon. And I have sold/shipped WB to IL, UT, CO, and locally.

It would be great to compile a database of existing mousebird breeders, and the species they keep.

Kristy

Welcome to the Avenue!
Susanne your making us all want a mouser of our own now.

Must stop that thinking, must resist, must resist. lol

waterfaller1

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
carole
What do you think Susanne?

srtiels

Ripping up the road
Mayor of the Avenue
Avian Angel
Real Name
Susanne
Carole, I saved and enlarged and examined the little fellas poop. As you said on the phone it looks like the darkest is earlest in the day and it looks like it lightens up and changes as he eats. I'm not sure what is causing the dark poops, if it is not from berries or pears. I'll place papers down where my mousers poop the most and watch them as I change foods during different times of the day.

waterfaller1

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
carole
Thanks Susanne, for all your help.:hug8: I bet we talk about poop more than anyone else on AA.:rofl:

srtiels

Ripping up the road
Mayor of the Avenue
Avian Angel
Real Name
Susanne
Yes...I was looking thru my poop pix and I think the dark may be the banana. I'm wondering if it starts to oxidize or something once out of the body.

waterfaller1

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
carole
An interesting development on King Gryphon...most spoiled mouser in all of the world.:p
Remember Susanne, we discussed that he had stopped eating blueberries? Something he seemed to love when he got here. So just a bit ago, he was riding on my shoulder while I prepared fruits and veggies for everyone. I decided to see if he would try a blueberry if I peeled it for him. Sure enough! Even if I just open it most of the way. He will begin by nibbling it, then biting harder until he pulls it from the skin, then swallows it. So..what do you think? Spoiled or what?:rolleyes:
Actually, it could be as I say....they can go bad fast and maybe even though I try to check, he has run into a couple bad ones. Since he swallows them, maybe he likes it better this way. With the nibbling he can check if it's good.:)

Archiesmom

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Natalie
WOW, no thats a tail!

srtiels

Ripping up the road
Mayor of the Avenue
Avian Angel
Real Name
Susanne
What a spoiled mouser:) You forgot to mention that that little bratty bird knows where the food is kept in the regrigerator and hops right down to check it out.

As to the blueberries, the skin may be too tart for him, plus they really don't digest that part too well. Poor baby has to have a little help in opening his berries. You may also have to do that with his grapes :)

You are definitely his designated Mouser Mom :)

waterfaller1

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
carole
WOW, no thats a tail!
Thanks, I know! Susanne says it will even grow more. I wish I could capture and show you how many pretty colors he has, especially his tail. There is a pretty golden color and a lot of iridescence in the tail.

What a spoiled mouser:) You forgot to mention that that little bratty bird knows where the food is kept in the regrigerator and hops right down to check it out.

As to the blueberries, the skin may be too tart for him, plus they really don't digest that part too well. Poor baby has to have a little help in opening his berries. You may also have to do that with his grapes :)

You are definitely his designated Mouser Mom :)
Yep, he has me trained! The refrigerator thing is soooo funny!:lol:
He hops in there so fast! I have to tell him.."what are you looking for Gryph? sorry..no pb&j or cookies":p
I might try peeling the grapes too. I also notice if I hold things for him, he will try it or take it and eat it. I love it when he takes things and holds it with his foot and gnaws on it lol. He LOVES figs! But I only give him a tiny bit once in awhile.

The birds are really liking that low sodium Ezekial bread. I might try toasting it this morning and add a tiny bit of peanut butter & red palm oil.:)

Last edited:

srtiels

Ripping up the road
Mayor of the Avenue
Avian Angel
Real Name
Susanne
The birds are really liking that low sodium Ezekial bread
---------------------------------------------
Can you post a pix of the pkg. label. I looked in Publix and couldn't find it.

waterfaller1

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
carole
Okie dokie:D

Status
Not open for further replies.