• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Green Cheek Conure or Senegal?

MChiper

Moving in
Avenue Veteran
Hi all,

I'd like all your opinions.

I'm interested in getting a Green-cheek Conure or Senegal Parrot. I have owned birds before, a Sun Conure and an African Grey who unfortunately I had to give up when I moved here (to Ireland) from South Africa. I gave them to a bird sanctuary with huge aviaries and flocks of their own.

My living situation: tiny apartment and a student. Not much of a social person, and love animal companions.

As I said, I'm thinking of getting a Green-cheek Conure or Senegal Parrot.

Do you think they're good cuddle-buds for apartment living?
If not, what are your suggestions?

Thank you!

Marvel_ous

Sprinting down the street
Real Name
Trinity
I don't know much about Senegals, but I do know that GCCs are lil lovebugs. The CAN be nippy, though, so watch out for that. As far as I know, both are pretty quiet.

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
Depends on the bird :) I know Senegals that are cuddly, but most are not. They do seem to vocalize less, but may be overall louder though. I also know Green Cheeks that are super independent and others who are very cuddly. They can be loud; mine was!

iamwhoiam

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Agree with Mizzely that it depends on the bird. My Senegal is generally very nice and friendly but he's gotten a bit grumpy as he's gotten older and by that I mean the past year or so. He is 32 years old. He talks, whistles and does a few sound effects. He isn't noisy, though, IMO.

MChiper

Moving in
Avenue Veteran
Hi all, thank you for your opinions. I probably should've stated this in the first post - I know it depends on the individual bird because each have their own personality.
I'm just asking about the general rule of thumb regarding these specific types of birds.

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
That's the problem. @webchirp has dozen of green cheeks and some are cuddly, some are not. some are noisy, some are not. So there is no general rule.

My green cheek was independent but noisy, while my friends was super cuddly and quiet.

They haven't been bred for specific traits like dogs have, so generalizations aren't as accurate.

Some threads to look at

The Good, The Bad and The Ugly about Green Cheeked Conures | Avian Avenue Parrot Forum

The Good, The Bad and The Ugly about Senegals | Avian Avenue Parrot Forum

hrafn

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
It's always hard to figure out which birds are suitable for specific living situations, because you never know what you'll end up with.
Macaws are generally considered terrible apartment birds and pionus perfect apartment birds, based on the noise both make, but my WCP is infinitely noisier and more prone to loud vocalisations than my macaw, and would probably cause issues in close quarters.
Your best bet is to meet individual birds at a rescue, and find one who is personally suited to your life.

webchirp

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Chandra
Mine are all fairly noisy being in a flock environment and competing with a sun conure. I can hear them all carrying on as we speak...but I know friends with one or two don’t generally have the volume I do. That being said, Carlton came to me from being too loud and he was an only cheekie. I think either bird would work for you. Unfortunately each bird is unique and you don’t know in advance about cuddle potential unless you go the adoption route and find one that already does.

Barbara jasko

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Barbara
IMO, I would get a smaller, quieter bird. Maybe a parakeet, parrotlet, lovebird, cockatiel. I have a Green Cheek and a Senegal. The bigger the bird, the larger the cage needed and the more noise they are capable of making. I had a lovebird and he was the most cuddly of all the birds I ever had and a huge personality. But he was handled alot. If you want one to bond with you don't get 2. I know about neighbors complaining about bird noise. Depending on your landlord, if neighbors complain, they may insist you remove the bird.

analliecat

Walking the driveway
Real Name
allie
it depends on the bird. i know that’s not what you want to hear but it truly does.

my green cheek is a cuddle monster. he wants to be on my shoulder, kissing me. my friend has one who will allow you to pet him but that’s the extent of it. i would go and visit shelters, stores, breeders before you get one because you can usually get a feel for their personality and independence.

karen256

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
I think either species could be a good choice for an apartment. Both are generally not too loud, but can occasionally be louder. Among greencheeks, females are usually quieter than males. I have a female, and she will scream when we wash dishes, but hardly makes a peep the rest of the time.
Both are smart, social, potentially cuddly birds.
The biggest difference might be if you plan on getting another bird in the future - greencheeks are more likely to accept another bird. Senegals are known for sometimes being very bird-aggressive.

javi

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
JAVI
Are you wanting a more active in your face bird or a calmer bird? Generally green cheeks are into everything and senegals are more reserved. However you may end up with a hyper Senegal or a reserve Green cheek. You just have to go on generalizations and hope for the best.