• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Green Cheek and Jenday possible offspring?

ScarredAngel6

Moving in
Real Name
Samantha
We brought home our female 5 month old Jenday 3 days ago and we're doing the whole quarantine thing from our 7 year old male Green Cheek. We're hoping to make them cage-mates if they get along, but I'm worried about them breeding and producing offspring. I have heard of Sun and Green Cheek hybrids, so its not impossible for a Pyrrhura and a Aratinga to have babies... right?
Should we leave them in separate cages anyway to avoid the chances of offspring? Or should we just take our chances? This is all hypothetical btw. Only if they're willing to get along and share a cage for sleeping.
Thanks in advance :D

Feather

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
I would be far more concerned about the size-difference and potential for misunderstanding between the two species than any potential for eggs, personally. I never recommend housing two birds of different species in the same cage.

Granted, neither one is a conure, but my Rowan and Zyda are an inter-species bonded pair and I cage them separately.

ScarredAngel6

Moving in
Real Name
Samantha
Thats true, I forgot about the size differences. I've just seen many people on facebook housing their Suns and GCCs together so I didn't think it would be a problem if they bonded. I may just keep them in separate cages overnight but I'm still scared of them mating.

LSA

Rollerblading along the road
Real Name
Leslie
The answer is yes. Most breeders suggest that if one starts laying eggs, the best response is to trade them for fake eggs. Remember though, your Jenday won't reach sexually maturity until the fall nearest 2 years.

There's a good chance they may not get along. Pyrrhuras and Aratingas differ greatly mentally and emotionally. My two grew up together and are bonded cagemates that tolerate my BCC that's about 20 years older only because she's willing to play Mama. I keep toys sized for each in each cage.

In addition, they eat different size pellets and chop. If you feed them together, try ZuPreem Naturals. Chop should be small enough for the GCC.

Best wishes!

LSA

Rollerblading along the road
Real Name
Leslie
Most of the Sun-GCC bonding are birds like mine that were put together from hatching.

They're actually more likely to sleep together than anything, but your GCC is considered middle-aged and set his ways. He probably will be more bothered by a chick hanging around than anything. You never know though... Conures, particularly, can surprise you!

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
Possible for sure :) Just get fake eggs to keep on hand, and intend to cage them separately. When birds are out and about it is easier for a smaller bird to get away, but when caged together that option is removed and issues can arise.

Monica

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Monica
Are they confirmed male and female?

As others said, it may or may not happen... but hybrids don't tend to be healthy... some of them are, but there's just a high chance of birth defects or other unknowns.

webchirp

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Chandra
Yes the non healthy part...I know a breeder that tried this. They lost all babies and babies that got older. Many health issues. One of the only one that lived has lost toes to circulation issues. It may be tempting to have babies if they do but be aware and prepared for deaths or high vet bills.

Reactions: LSA