• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

GCC Regurgitating for a Budgie: Normal or not?

JFin25

Moving in
Real Name
Jeanne Findlay
Hello everyone!

Something strange happened today and I was wondering if it’s normal that my green cheek conure Korben was regurgitating for his budgie neighbor. I know that birds regurgitating for one another is a normal thing and a sign of bondedness but is it normal (and a good thing too) for different species to exhibit this behavior?

They only recently started to have outside-of-the-cage hangout time and they’ve taken to each other quite nicely. Just wanted to know your thoughts and if you’ve experienced this as well with cross-breed regurgitation.

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
It is certainly not unheard of. I mean, they regurg for us and we aren't even in the same order!

JFin25

Moving in
Real Name
Jeanne Findlay
It is certainly not unheard of. I mean, they regurg for us and we aren't even in the same order!
Very good point! That being said, I’m a little jealous that he didn’t started regurgitating for us, hmph! I’m glad he’s showing this (gross) form of affection for SOMEONE at least. Gaige the parakeet recently lost her cage mate. :(

Feather

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Don't be jealous. The best companion for a bird is another bird, after all. It can be pretty damaging if humans are the only creature a bird knows how to bond with. ;)

My red-bellied and maximillian pionus have been at it for years. Just be sure to keep a close eye on them since that size difference could pose a problem in any lover's quarrel.

JFin25

Moving in
Real Name
Jeanne Findlay
Don't be jealous. The best companion for a bird is another bird, after all. It can be pretty damaging if humans are the only creature a bird knows how to bond with. ;)

My red-bellied and maximillian pionus have been at it for years. Just be sure to keep a close eye on them since that size difference could pose a problem in any lover's quarrel.
Yeah you’re right. I’m happy that they’re happy, especially given the recent circumstance of Gaige losing her cagemate. They love to eat together and just be out and about from their respective cages.

I always supervise when they’re out at the same time. The first time I got them out together and they were sorta “feeling each other out” I was sooo nervous because the size difference of a GCCs beak and a budgie parakeet is really scary. Even though they’re good friends now, I still get paranoid and pensive watching their beaks together because of the possibility of the GCC “being too rough” you know?