• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Feather disease unknown

Papple

Moving in
Real Name
Mash
So my lovebird (make) Lanana for the past month now has had feather plucking problem. It’s important to note he’s about 9 years old and lives with a female named Papple who is 10

lanana has picked his rump bald and also under his wings. He’s very itchy but no change in playfulness or eating habits. In fact he eats a lot and enjoys climbing on people but doesn’t like to be touched
He tested positive for giardia but was given an antibiotic

then the vet said it could be polyfolliculitis but wasn’t sure
Doesn’t have any cysts
The vet said she doesn’t think it’s PBFD but I’m worrying myself sick
I have pictures of plucked feathered. I thought I’d post the pictures here. If you guys need more info please please let me know. I’m just so scared I’m gonna lose my babies

Attachments

enigma731

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Those are plucked pin feathers. Can we see a pic of your bird?

enigma731

Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
He looks good there. Can you take and post some pics of the plucked areas?

Papple

Moving in
Real Name
Mash
He looks good there. Can you take and post some pics of the plucked areas?
I can try grabbing a pic tomorrow but he hides it and will not let me touch him to try and get pictures. Do these plucked feathers maybe look like PBFD or poly to u?

enigma731

Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Not PBFD. I don't know about poly until I see the areas he's plucking. Has he been tested for giardia or had any fecal tests done?

Papple

Moving in
Real Name
Mash
Not PBFD. I don't know about poly until I see the areas he's plucking. Has he been tested for giardia or had any fecal tests done?
Just to know for my own sake:
How do u know it isn’t PBFD?
He has gotten a giardia test done
We treated both birds for 5 days on metronidazole
The vet didn’t order another test because she said wanted us to go on another antibiotic for the feather plucking. It’s Biryl?? Or something like that and is supposed to take care of any bacterial infections.
his skin is inflamed so she also gave us an anti inflammatory

enigma731

Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Just to know for my own sake:
How do u know it isn’t PBFD?
Well, nobody can be 100% sure without a lab test but: Those are perfectly normal feathers that he plucked before they're fully developed. In PBFD, feathers don't develop normally. In fact, PBFD doesn't normally involve plucking at all, but feathers that come in weak and diseased and so fall out. Also, PBFD tends to affect large feathers first.

Papple

Moving in
Real Name
Mash
Well, nobody can be 100% sure without a lab test but: Those are perfectly normal feathers that he plucked before they're fully developed. In PBFD, feathers don't develop normally. In fact, PBFD doesn't normally involve plucking at all, but feathers that come in weak and diseased and so fall out. Also, PBFD tends to affect large feathers first.
Ugh thank you!
you have no idea how much of a weight I feel taken off my shoulders after reading that
I know he’s plucking because he screams a little after attacking himself
And I see him pulling them out and throwing them across the cage on purpose
I was so scared it might be PBFD but I suppose logically if it was the vet would have noticed it too...I’ll try to take pictures for the poly tomorrow

enigma731

Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
I had that same fear the first time I had a plucker in my flock. But it really is very different. Plucking is tough enough to deal with, don't add PBFD to your worry load if you can help it.

Papple

Moving in
Real Name
Mash
I had that same fear the first time I had a plucker in my flock. But it really is very different. Plucking is tough enough to deal with, don't add PBFD to your worry load if you can help it.
Thank u so much u have no idea
I’m very attached to these birds since I basically grew up with them
First time we’ve ever had problems
Feather plucking is frustrating since it seems even vets don’t know too too much about it all

enigma731

Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
It's one of those things that probably has a very big psychological component and so it's hard not being able to ask the bird what's bothering them. But I don't think you have any reason to worry that there's some horrific deadly disease going on here. At worst, this might be something that you'll manage as a chronic symptom.

Papple

Moving in
Real Name
Mash
It's one of those things that probably has a very big psychological component and so it's hard not being able to ask the bird what's bothering them. But I don't think you have any reason to worry that there's some horrific deadly disease going on here. At worst, this might be something that you'll manage as a chronic symptom.
Hi I couldn’t take a picture of the rump but I did find this today maybe you will have more insight after seeing this particular pin feather

Attachments

enigma731

Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
That does look like a poly follicle but it's hard to say whether he plucked it because of polyfolliculitis or if he has follicle damage FROM plucking.

Papple

Moving in
Real Name
Mash
That does look like a poly follicle but it's hard to say whether he plucked it because of polyfolliculitis or if he has follicle damage FROM plucking.
Hmmm yeah. I made a tele appointment with the vet today so I’ll update on what she says

enigma731

Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Good idea. I think my next move would be testing for giardia and other fecal parasites.

Papple

Moving in
Real Name
Mash
Good idea. I think my next move would be testing for giardia and other fecal parasites.
Okay, so he is giardia positive but we already did 1 weeks worth of antibiotics and the doctors, instead of retesting, just put him on baytril. The pin feathers, the ones he’s plucking out, is it because they’re trying to grow out and it’s Bothering him? Or itching, so he’s plucking more? Underneath his wings it’s like super bald, and I can see him plucking and screaming and itching. So maybe the stress of being o medication, being constantly itchy and everything, could all combined be causing him to pluck?? I’m really not sure he has any bacterial infections because poop and attitude is all fine. Like I’m just so lost with all this vet stuff.

enigma731

Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Wait, what did he take for the giardia?

enigma731

Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Okay, that's good. For how long?