• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Continue what I'm doing or not?

Should I continue taming in this way?

• Yes (Reply something please!)

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

finchly

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Finchly
Just a little update on Mr. Bean: I took your advice, and looked even more into it. He's more trusting of me now and will hop over to my hand if I'm holding a treat in the cage :) It might be stressful for him but I'm going to move him into the bedroom, I believe the area there is safer and easier to make safe for him to explore so I'm just going to completely make the bedroom a safe place for him to be able to fly around and explore since I'm not clipping his wings anymore. I'm afraid he'l get stressed out that his cage isn't in the spot it used to be in, but it's for the better since my living room has so many places he could get stuck in or do something dangerous in and it's also attached to the front door and don't want an accident to happen with him. The bedroom is also a square/rectangle and the living room has spots where he could be and I wouldn't be able to see him. My cat is also currently not allowed in the bedroom for other reasons so it's good for him to not be around my cat because they both want to attack eachother, lol. I also taught him a "trick" haha. I put the drumstick I was talking about anywhere in the cage and he will hop onto it (and chew on my fingers lol) so all I need to do is establish that relationship with him but change the stick for my fingers as soon as he is comfortable with it. Thank you Avian Avenue for helping me!

:bpflb:<< Mr. Bean
I think he will like it, especially if you spend more time there with him. He'll have you all to himself!

Kiwi & Co.

Rollerblading along the road
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Last edited:

Leih

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Leih Pearson
Very slow and steady wins the race! My lovebird was 5 months when I got her and completely untamed. @HolliDaze said it best, you have to earn their consent. And it can be incredibly tedious. It took my lovebird a solid three months to step up, but probably more like 7 by the time she let me touch her cheeks. Let your bird set the pace and know you'll get there eventually. Especially since he's already taking treats from you. That took like a month for my girl!

VelocirapGirl

Sitting on the front steps
Real Name
Monique
Yup! Thanks for the advice. Do you have any tips for moving him into the bedroom? I am absolutely certain he'll get stressed out, but how can I minimize it and make him comfortable once he's there? Should I ignore him to let him know I'm not the source of the stress or should I try to comfort him with words and treats once he's in place? He has been in the bedroom before but only once and didn't take the room in completely. I think he's really close to trusting me enough to go on my finger because he'll chew on it, not a direct bite, but chewing (I think he looks for food since I give him treats with my fingers lol) and honestly that's better than having him run to the other side of the cage but I don't know exactly what will happen once he moves to the bedroom. Should I open the cage and let him fly around immediatley or should I wait for a few days until he's settled in? I'm not sure yet, but I'm still preparing the room and myself for his move :bounce3:

Yoshi&Raphi

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Raphi
Wait a few days, unless he’s showing signs he really wants out.

Ripshod

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Linden
Talk to him constantly while you're moving him, tell him what you're doing and about the great place you're taking him to. If he shows signs of stress stop where you are and wait for him to calm down. Reward him with his favourite treat when done.
If it seems like he wants out then let him, but maybe wait a couple of days otherwise, to take in the room and get his bearings. Make sure there's nowhere in there he can get stuck or hide.

VelocirapGirl

Sitting on the front steps
Real Name
Monique
Thanks! I'm absolutely making the bedroom perfect for him so he can explore all he wants without any dangers :laugh-bounce: Hopefully he gets used to it quick! It's definitley for the better :yahoo: I really don't think if his cage is moving he'll calm down at least for 10 min, I think I'll try to move him quickly and carefully and let him calm down in the other room. he's right by the door right now, he's moving a couple feet but I also need to move the cabinet his cage is on with him so I was planning to take his cage off and put it on the floor, move the cabinet, then put him back on top. I'll update when he moves! :cantwait: