• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Cockatiel With Bite- Nose Injury

Hannahb.55

Checking out the neighborhood
Shared album - Hannah Barfield - Google Photos
My 3 year old Male cockatiel, Alex, had an accident a few days ago with our male Pionus, Jack. The Pionus is very territorial, and although both of them get along just fine, Jack has a tendency to bite the closest thing to him when he's angry.
While shutting Jack in his cage, Alex was climbing up the door. Unfortunately, Jack didn't want to be put up- and he managed to bite a bit of Alex's face through the bars. It definately hurt him- he sneezed later and blood ran down his nostril. The wound looked external though, from what I could tell. I stopped the bleeding with a little corn starch and a day or two later carfully removed a detached hunk of dried blood Operation style. I've been lighly disinfecting the area with a little peroxide, then dabbing a little coconut oil to combat the dryness. I've noticed it's looking pretty swollen though, and they skin around his eye is looking red. I'm hesitant to think it's bone related because the bars are too small for the Pionus to have gotten a good grip.

For anyone whose had a similar instance, does this look infected/cause for concern? I'm considering calling the vet, but they're two hours away, so I'm trying to know somewhat definitively if I need to take him or not.

Thanks!

Last edited:

WendyN

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Wendy
I would call your Avian vet to get Alex checked out.
That looks painful.
Hope he gets better soon.

iamwhoiam

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Agree about a visit to the vet. The area could be infected. Best to get it checked out.

Tiel Feathers

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Deanna
What a cutie pie!:heart: I hope he will be okay, I think you should definitely take him to the avian vet. Please don't forget to keep us posted on how he's doing!