• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Cockatiel tips?

sababab

Meeting neighbors
If he likes chewing on wood you could give him toothpicks or wood skewers in the meantime. Just make sure to blunt the sharp ends if you have them stuck through the bars so he doesn't hurt himself.
Can I give him matches? Reckon I have to cut the red parts though

zoo mom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Elaine
Not sure what tree species you have but pine is safe after being disinfected.

Aestatis

Walking the driveway
Avenue Veteran
Can I give him matches? Reckon I have to cut the red parts though
I wouldn't give matches just because it's hard to know if there is some sort of treatment on the non-red part.

There are bird shops here that sell platforms/perches made out of non-pressure treated pine. Basically, lumber that is not specifically treated with poisons to repel bugs. That's something you could theoretically get at a hardware store, but I also know that wood is more commonly found in the US than certain other countries (not sure about Georgia)

sababab

Meeting neighbors
If he likes chewing on wood you could give him toothpicks or wood skewers in the meantime. Just make sure to blunt the sharp ends if you have them stuck through the bars so he doesn't hurt himself.
I wouldn't give matches just because it's hard to know if there is some sort of treatment on the non-red part.

There are bird shops here that sell platforms/perches made out of non-pressure treated pine. Basically, lumber that is not specifically treated with poisons to repel bugs. That's something you could theoretically get at a hardware store, but I also know that wood is more commonly found in the US than certain other countries (not sure about Georgia)
Huge Thanks guys once again!

sababab

Meeting neighbors

Guys help my curtains were a bit opened, he didn't have too much speed, he smashed into it a bit, he's fine though hopefully, I picked him up, he flies as usual, chirps, I fed him afterwards I showed him a bit of outside, up close to window, he was really curious, didn't fly into it anymore

I put him into the cage now, he's eating as normal, just begging to be let out again haha, any suggestions?? No lost feathers, no blood, no signs of concussion, he's cleaning himself now, jumping around, and chirping to be let out, should I be worried??? It won't happen again!!

sababab

Meeting neighbors

Guys help my curtains were a bit opened, he didn't have too much speed, he smashed into it a bit, he's fine though hopefully, I picked him up, he flies as usual, chirps, I fed him afterwards I showed him a bit of outside, up close to window, he was really curious, didn't fly into it anymore

I put him into the cage now, he's eating as normal, just begging to be let out again haha, any suggestions?? No lost feathers, no blood, no signs of concussion, he's cleaning himself now, jumping around, and chirping to be let out, should I be worried??? It won't happen again!!
He's grinding his beak, also can I give him very very shredded/crushed egg shells? I heard they're good for them as well as regular boiled egg

sababab

Meeting neighbors
Is it okay if I catch him from time to time? Cause I have to leave and he'd not go in for like half n hour, in the end he got tired and let me softly and gently handle him back into the cage.

How do I introduce him to other rooms? He's scared of almost everything, and he doesn't really fly around the rooms, he mostly climbs onto his cage and sits there, should I force him to fly sometimes? (Slowly pull him down when he's on my finger)

Last edited:

Aestatis

Walking the driveway
Avenue Veteran
Sorry to hear he had a hard fall. If he is acting normal then he should be ok. My cockatiels bonk into the walls sometimes and while it is upsetting to see, they are perfectly ok. He might just need to learn over time.

If you need to leave I don't think it's traumatizing to have to catch him if you do it correctly. I would avoid using gloves at all costs. Use a shirt or thin towel if he is on the ground, carefully scoop him up, and open the shirt/towel into his cage. If he is up high you can hold a long perch/stick to see if he will climb on.

If he's nervous in new rooms I wouldn't force him to fly. He might end up on a high spot you can't get him down from. It's great he sees his cage as "home base". You could always use that small cage as a carrier of sorts and bring him into new rooms. Just hang out in there together while he gets familiar.

sababab

Meeting neighbors
Sorry to hear he had a hard fall. If he is acting normal then he should be ok. My cockatiels bonk into the walls sometimes and while it is upsetting to see, they are perfectly ok. He might just need to learn over time.

If you need to leave I don't think it's traumatizing to have to catch him if you do it correctly. I would avoid using gloves at all costs. Use a shirt or thin towel if he is on the ground, carefully scoop him up, and open the shirt/towel into his cage. If he is up high you can hold a long perch/stick to see if he will climb on.

If he's nervous in new rooms I wouldn't force him to fly. He might end up on a high spot you can't get him down from. It's great he sees his cage as "home base". You could always use that small cage as a carrier of sorts and bring him into new rooms. Just hang out in there together while he gets familiar.
Thank you so much for your replies once again!
I'd not say he's too nervous, he does climb on my hand in case of anything, it's just that when I take him to one room he instead of sitting somewhere, goes flying into the room with windows, he is really curious about what's going on outside, today's a sunny day and I opened up the curtains just a bit.
outside at a nice green scenery, clear sky and butterflies flying, birds chirping, warm beams shining as I was softly petting and talk to him haha he absolutely loved it! :D

sababab

Meeting neighbors

Also I found a good cage it's like regular budgie cage but its bigger for cockatiels 33x44x65 it is big, hopefully Enough. I don't have much room for bigger at home..
33 width, 44 length, 65 height
Thoughts?

zoo mom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Elaine
Also I found a good cage it's like regular budgie cage but its bigger for cockatiels 33x44x65 it is big, hopefully Enough. I don't have much room for bigger at home..
33 width, 44 length, 65 height
Thoughts?
Inches or cm?
If inches it is a great size as long as the space between the bars are ok.

sababab

Meeting neighbors
Inches or cm?
If inches it is a great size as long as the space between the bars are ok.
Cm, he looks small in it, but I think he's small and I think he'll grow, what do you think? The seller told me he's maybe a year old if more maybe a year and a half and that's it.

Attachments

zoo mom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Elaine
It is on the small size but not every country has large cages available. It is definitely better than the original cage. He needs a couple natural branch perches and a couple shreddable toys. You can visit the DIY (do it yourself) drive forum for inexpensive ideas.

Aestatis

Walking the driveway
Avenue Veteran
While not ideal it's definitely a step up from the previous one and he should be much more comfortable (especially since birds can be nervous in round cages) :). Definitely see if you can find perches of different diameters. The dowel perches of the same size can hurt their feet after a while. If you don't have access to other perches you can try wrapping one in vet wrap/non-adhesive wrap to make it a bit wider + cushioned.

sababab

Meeting neighbors
It is on the small size but not every country has large cages available. It is definitely better than the original cage. He needs a couple natural branch perches and a couple shreddable toys. You can visit the DIY (do it yourself) drive forum for inexpensive ideas.
While not ideal it's definitely a step up from the previous one and he should be much more comfortable (especially since birds can be nervous in round cages) :). Definitely see if you can find perches of different diameters. The dowel perches of the same size can hurt their feet after a while. If you don't have access to other perches you can try wrapping one in vet wrap/non-adhesive wrap to make it a bit wider + cushioned.
Thank you and thanks for understanding, he loves it, he goes in more calm and freely himself or with my help

Once again I wanna ask if very crushed egg shells are good for them? He loves boiled eggs, but hopefully eggshells are good too, he tries to eat them everytime he gets a chance

Aestatis

Walking the driveway
Avenue Veteran
Thank you and thanks for understanding, he loves it, he goes in more calm and freely himself or with my help

Once again I wanna ask if very crushed egg shells are good for them? He loves boiled eggs, but hopefully eggshells are good too, he tries to eat them everytime he gets a chance
Aw that's awesome he's happy to go back now! :D I know they can eat crushed egg shells, but I usually hear about people feeding them to females. I don't think it would hurt him like overdosing on a vitamin though. If he is insistent on eating them he might be craving the calcium after all.

I think as long as the eggshells are from a cooked egg it is safe.