• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Cockatiel tips?

sababab

Meeting neighbors
Hello!
Please I need advice!
I bought a cockatiel. I have had it for 2 or 3 weeks.
I am trying to do my very best for him!

I had a budgeriar for about 10 years, very very very! He was used to both hands and people! I don't even remember how I got it, I bought it when it was small.
I have cockatiel now for the first time.
At first he was very afraid, but got him somewhat used to hands.
I think he is a year and a half old, boy. That's what they told me.
Every day when I clean the inside of the cage, he no longer runs or farts, he is quiet by himself, he either sits or eats by himself and sings.
I regularly change the water and his food!

At first I used to feed him from a distance, now I feed him from my hand and he lets me caress/pet him sometimes but only when he eats
I made a comfortable swing that he loves very much, he really loves swinging on it

I got him used to fruits and vegetables, eggs, apples and sometimes I feed him some greens, he loves his swing.
The cage is small, so far I can't find a big one anywhere... if only it were cheaper, not 1000 GEL

When he wants to bathe, I change his tiny little bottle to a comfortable plate and he bathes himself.

I also play with him every day for half an hour,
I give him a small stick with my hand and he likes to chew, at that time he also sits on my hand and again lets me pet him and even sits and stands on the palm of my hand.

Then I even taught him to ask for food and to bite a little (letting him bite and give him food, so that he knows there's nothing bad in biting me).
Every night I cover with a small-medium blanket so that it doesn't get cold, I leave him a gap to look out from time to time

I made a mistake in the first days when I let him out, I was surprised when you know that he lived all the time in a cage and didn't have a chance to spread his wings, but I let him out and flew for one day, he didn't come down and kept sitting on the curtains, finally after hours, he sat down tired and calmly held my head .
After that, he didn't let me go anymore, but he runs, jumps, and cries
I had the previous bird outside all the time, he was very smart, he was very used to it, when I told him he would come in by himself, even if the window or door was open, he didn't react like crazy, I went out sometimes and he came back!

I'm still sad for him! he also wants to be let out and I also want to come out, but I don't want to have to catch him in the end! :(
Please, anyone who knows, advise me, what else can I do to get him used to hands and to us humans in general??

Thank you very much in advance!!!

Last edited:

sababab

Meeting neighbors
Do you have a picture of the cage? I could show you where I got my cockatiel cage. It looks like this:
Any tips for taming him more?
Or any mistakes from my side? anything I'm doing is wrong?

Also Sorry for the text, I google translated it and it might have lots of broken English, even though I sat and fixed some of them.

Aestatis

Walking the driveway
Avenue Veteran
A bigger cage like you plan to get will be a big help. With more room to move around he might be less reluctant to go back in, and a bigger cage will help him feel he has a safe space. When a cage is small a bird can feel like they are trapped when you put your hands near. If the cage is large enough, they feel like they can retreat to a safe distance when you put your hands close.

sababab

Meeting neighbors
A bigger cage like you plan to get will be a big help. With more room to move around he might be less reluctant to go back in, and a bigger cage will help him feel he has a safe space. When a cage is small a bird can feel like they are trapped when you put your hands near. If the cage is large enough, they feel like they can retreat to a safe distance when you put your hands close.
He doesn't runaway from my hands, he eats from my hand, even stands on my palm sometimes, he's completely calm, but yeah I'll get him a new cage, what's the bare minimum for cockatiel cage?

Burdlady48

Moving in
Maybe you should try harness training him. I'm definitely not an expert, but maybe don't teach him to bite you for food? Also letting him out more might make a difference. Idk, like I said I'm not an expert!

Burdlady48

Moving in
He doesn't runaway from my hands, he eats from my hand, even stands on my palm sometimes, he's completely calm, but yeah I'll get him a new cage, what's the bare minimum for cockatiel cage?
minimum cage dimensions are 20×20×24, and Ive heard if you can find the right kind of stainless steel dog cage you can turn it into a bird cage, but you have to be really careful with the bar spacing.

sababab

Meeting neighbors
minimum cage dimensions are 20×20×24, and Ive heard if you can find the right kind of stainless steel dog cage you can turn it into a bird cage, but you have to be really careful with the bar spacing.
Thanks, also I heard that cockatiels love wood , are these fine for him? I stripped em and cleaned them before. He seems to enjoy chewing wood a lot, just two little branches/sticks IMG_20240320_124654.jpg IMG_20240320_124654.jpg IMG_20240320_124651.jpg IMG_20240320_124635.jpg IMG_20240320_124629.jpg

sababab

Meeting neighbors
Maybe you should try harness training him. I'm definitely not an expert, but maybe don't teach him to bite you for food? Also letting him out more might make a difference. Idk, like I said I'm not an expert!
I don't have harness, nor I want to catch him and put it on him,
I want to let him out but what do I do? I don't want to catch him in the end to get him back in!
Do I just wait for him to go in himself?

Madday1234

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Mad
Your cockatiel sounds very sweet! I would say that you should take him into an enclosed room when you take him out so that he isn't flying throughout your house, that will probably make it easier to get him back inside the cage. If you want to get him more used to you hands and want to spend more time with him, then training is a great way to bond and he will most likely associate you with treats so he will enjoy being around you more. Also, I recommend some shreddable toys for the cage. My favorite place to get toys from is Planet Pleasures. And since you are looking for a bigger cage I recommend a cage size like this. You can also find bumpy perches which are better for their feet. Also what is your cockatiel's name? He looks so cute!

Aestatis

Walking the driveway
Avenue Veteran
I don't have harness, nor I want to catch him and put it on him,
I want to let him out but what do I do? I don't want to catch him in the end to get him back in!
Do I just wait for him to go in himself?
The new, bigger cage will help train this since you will have more space to train him to get on your hand or a perch reliably (just because they take treats doesn't mean they feel comfortable going to you). You will also have room to put lots of treats and goodies on and in his cage to convince him it's a good place to hang out.

You might still have troubles getting him inside, but if he's willing to go hang out ontop of his cage it makes things easier.

Burdlady48

Moving in
Thanks, also I heard that cockatiels love wood , are these fine for him? I stripped em and cleaned them before. He seems to enjoy chewing wood a lot, just two little branches/sticks View attachment 443894 View attachment 443894 View attachment 443895 View attachment 443896 View attachment 443897
First of all, WHAT TYPE OF WOOD IS THAT? some woods are poisonous to birds, so make sure it's safe (gosh I sound like a grandma sorry), and when they start splintering like that maybe remove them?

sababab

Meeting neighbors
Your cockatiel sounds very sweet! I would say that you should take him into an enclosed room when you take him out so that he isn't flying throughout your house, that will probably make it easier to get him back inside the cage. If you want to get him more used to you hands and want to spend more time with him, then training is a great way to bond and he will most likely associate you with treats so he will enjoy being around you more. Also, I recommend some shreddable toys for the cage. My favorite place to get toys from is Planet Pleasures. And since you are looking for a bigger cage I recommend a cage size like this. You can also find bumpy perches which are better for their feet. Also what is your cockatiel's name? He looks so cute!
The new, bigger cage will help train this since you will have more space to train him to get on your hand or a perch reliably (just because they take treats doesn't mean they feel comfortable going to you). You will also have room to put lots of treats and goodies on and in his cage to convince him it's a good place to hang out.

You might still have troubles getting him inside, but if he's willing to go hang out ontop of his cage it makes things easier.
First of all, WHAT TYPE OF WOOD IS THAT? some woods are poisonous to birds, so make sure it's safe (gosh I sound like a grandma sorry), and when they start splintering like that maybe remove them?
Thanks guys, me and my boy have gotten real close lately, I taught him to step up, taught him to fly on my hand, he entrusts me to pet his crest and whole body and trusts me that he even cleans himself on my hands, he sits on me and ,
I let him out the cage every now and then, the only thing I don't like is that he still reacts to birds outside and starts flying like crazy and onto curtains and looking out of windows, also he's still scared of some stuff in the house and I still have yet to introduce him to the other rooms.. Imo it's all going well so far! Thanks everyone if you guys have suggestions other than the cage, I can't yet buy it cause of bad weather lately, but I am working on it! Also ordered some house toys for him and his new house where it all should fit ❤

sababab

Meeting neighbors
Yeah I removed it the first time I got it, it was just from a simple tree, I just disinfected it, cleaned it and he liked it, but shortly after not being sure about the wood just threw it away, he loves millets sticks though, so we'll stick with those, thanks!

Aestatis

Walking the driveway
Avenue Veteran
If he likes chewing on wood you could give him toothpicks or wood skewers in the meantime. Just make sure to blunt the sharp ends if you have them stuck through the bars so he doesn't hurt himself.

sababab

Meeting neighbors
If he likes chewing on wood you could give him toothpicks or wood skewers in the meantime. Just make sure to blunt the sharp ends if you have them stuck through the bars so he doesn't hurt himself.
Could you please tell me what this is? IMG_20240326_115122.jpg
IMG_20240326_115120.jpg
It looks like feather but it's red

Madday1234

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Mad
I have no idea. Maybe a small blood feather? A cut?

zoo mom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Elaine
It looks like a blood feather that maybe got damaged. May I ask what country you are from. I am just curious, you don't have to tell if you are uncomfortable doing so.

Also your English is fine for us.

Also the cage dimensions someone gave are in American inches.

Last edited:

sababab

Meeting neighbors
It looks like a blood feather that maybe got damaged. May I ask what country you are from. I am just curious, you don't have to tell if you are uncomfortable doing so.

Also your English is fine for us.

Also the cage dimensions someone gave are in American inches.
I am from" independent country" Georgia :p