• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Cockatiel feather plucking (scratching with beak) back feathers

michbird

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
michelle
A while ago she was laying dozen eggs but she has stopped. I'm now seeing her scratching (with her beak) the back feathers mostly.

I think it's called "feather plucking" but she's not bald or have bare skin. I have seen some feathers on the floor and on the cage. And, one or two feathers still on her body sticking a little bit up instead of flat probably from doing this.

Today, I took her outside to enjoy the weather and get some Vitamin D from the sun, as I heard this may be helpful. She didn't do this behavior while outside and I bathe her a little bit and cleaned the bottom of the cage with the hose. She has a cuttlebone that she is still going at it. I'm not sure if the cuttlebone still works but I'm guessing yes (It has two colors).

Shall I get her toys? I was thinking of a ladder or anything good for a cockatiel.

Cynthia & Percy

cockatoo mania
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avian Angel
Real Name
cynthia
yes get some toys some shreaders may help

Birdbabe

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
And try to mist her or get her to bathe, dry skin is itchy skin.

michbird

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
michelle
With just water? and is there any place recommended to buy toys / shreaders at a good price online?
Sometimes I don't find a lot of selection at the local pet stores.

Animallover03

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Audrey
:bump8:
The vendors here on AA probably have what you are looking for :)

sunnysmom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Michelle
Is she just preening? Cockatiels spend a lot of time preening. And toys would be great. There are a lot of vendors here that make wonderful toys. If you go under the Marketplace section they're listed there.

michbird

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
michelle
Yes preening! That's the term I was looking for. I don't know if it's just preening or itch.
In case it's something like bird mites what can I use?

I'll check out the Marketplace section and get her toys.

sunnysmom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Michelle
Yes preening! That's the term I was looking for. I don't know if it's just preening or itch.
In case it's something like bird mites what can I use?

I'll check out the Marketplace section and get her toys.
It's very uncommon for non-aviary birds to have mites, and over the counter mite medicine can actually be deadly. A woman from another forum actually lost her birds by using it. Also, birds should only be treated for mites if they definitely have them- it's not a preventative thing like dogs with fleas- and should be treated by a vet. A way to tell is to put white paper on the bottom of a tiel's cage at night. In the morning, if there are little specks on the paper it could be mites. My guess is your bird is just doing normal preening. A bath once or twice a week with water can help keep their feathers nice. Either misting or letting them bathe in some shallow water.