• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Budgies being food aggressive?

rebecca252

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Rebecca Tiplady
Hi! I’m the owner of three budgies who live in a large flight cage together (we previously had four, but unfortunately one passed away), and they usually get along pretty well, but they get aggressive with one another when food is involved , I.e when I hold millet, they often squabble and even jump on each other, and crouch over it, even though there is plenty enough for all. Is there anything I can do to stop it?
Any help is appreciated.

Shezbug

ASK ME FOR PICTURES OF MY MACAW!
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Shez
More than one feeding and watering station is usually best and spread them apart so they’re not so close together.

Chomskypom

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Chom (pronouns they/them)
I had a really food aggressive budgie at one time. I had multiple food and water stations all throughout their cage with visual barriers between them, but eventually he got so bad that I would take him out and have him out alone for half an hour or so at feeding time so the others could get some uninterrupted eating in.
For millet, I would stick the sprays between my fingers like Wolverine’s claws so there was distance between them :roflmao: or I would cut the millet spray into inch-long pieces and give each bird their own, either via separate out-of-cage time or by putting the pieces a few feet from each other so each bird felt less threatened.