• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Bird Hemp (Hempwell) for Plucking

Birdy05

Moving in
Real Name
Camila
I think this is just pure hemp seed oil (without the CBD). I was going to suggest flaxseed oil a better oil to use because of the higher Omega 3 (anti-inflammatory) but interestingly after Googling, it is said the hemp seed oil also has "omega-3 SDA, which is a more potent form of the fatty acid" whereas flax oil doesn't:

Okie, thank you for your input! :)

Shezbug

ASK ME FOR PICTURES OF MY MACAW!
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Shez
If you don't mind me asking, what does OP mean? Also, thank you for your feedback. I have noticed a change in my bird, surprisingly. She's bitten me less often and is calmer when I take her out of her cage, but she still plucks. Now that I have been thinking about it I think what made her get worse in her plucking is this whole quarantine. Since I am around all the time, she thinks its okay for me to be playing with her 24/7; so anytime I'm not paying attention to her she plucks.
So is it hemp oil or is it CBD oil?

Monaco

Rollerblading along the road
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Kelly Hill
So is it hemp oil or is it CBD oil?
It's most likely hemp. The price tag is a big indicator. Word play is one thing for the marketing, but much more specific in the ingredients list.

I'm really worried about your bird. The weight-loss/ inability to maintain healthy weight WITH the plucking is just too much to ignore the need for a vet's intervention. I know you are in a position that's dependent upon your parents, but please try to inform them of the gravity of the situation. Your supplement, while may benefit a healthy bird in tiny dosage is unlikely to make an impact on the current list of issues.

I strongly urge you to seek out a vet that can get to the bottom of the weight issue and hopefully the plucking can then be addressed.

Birdy05

Moving in
Real Name
Camila
It's most likely hemp. The price tag is a big indicator. Word play is one thing for the marketing, but much more specific in the ingredients list.

I'm really worried about your bird. The weight-loss/ inability to maintain healthy weight WITH the plucking is just too much to ignore the need for a vet's intervention. I know you are in a position that's dependent upon your parents, but please try to inform them of the gravity of the situation. Your supplement, while may benefit a healthy bird in tiny dosage is unlikely to make an impact on the current list of issues.

I strongly urge you to seek out a vet that can get to the bottom of the weight issue and hopefully the plucking can then be addressed.
I really appreciate everybody's comments. Just today I sent an email to my local avian/exotic vet to see how much a visit could cost. I keep talking to my parents about it, but they are worried about the price. My birthday is in four days and I already have some money saved up; I told my mom I would pay for everything and she's reluctant to let me do so. Again, I am grateful for the support everyone has provided for me. I never knew how helpful this could be. :)

Shezbug

ASK ME FOR PICTURES OF MY MACAW!
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Shez
If it is hemp then there will be no likely chance it is making the bird calm..... maybe the change in activity level is more due to illness or something.
I really hope you can get something sorted for your bird in the way of vetting and find out from the AV if the supplement you’re giving is indeed helpful.

Travis726

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Travis

They very well may have labeled it discreetly to get it on amazon. Like I said they cant sell cbd on amazon (or couldnt last i checked). and as far as price. a gram of pure cbd isolate costs 30 bucks to buy. I dont remember the mg/ml it came out to, but a gram would make 2 strong (for human consumption) 30 ml bottles. It would probably make 10 at "bird dosage". I used to make them for family at cost since they try to charge like 90 bucks for a bottle you can make for $15. My point is, it could have cbd in it and still be very profitable at that price. you could taste a little. If it has a nutty or seedy taste it is hempseed oil. If it more or less tasteless, it is probably "cbd oil" (mct oil + cbd isolate). There is also whole plant oil " cbd oil" but unless it says something about using the whole plant (full spectrum) on the bottle it likely isnt.

I agree that a vet check wouldnt hurt, even if everything is ok it would ease your mind.

Monaco

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Kelly Hill
They very well may have labeled it discreetly to get it on amazon. Like I said they cant sell cbd on amazon (or couldnt last i checked). and as far as price. a gram of pure cbd isolate costs 30 bucks to buy. I dont remember the mg/ml it came out to, but a gram would make 2 strong (for human consumption) 30 ml bottles. It would probably make 10 at "bird dosage". I used to make them for family at cost since they try to charge like 90 bucks for a bottle you can make for $15. My point is, it could have cbd in it and still be very profitable at that price. you could taste a little. If it has a nutty or seedy taste it is hempseed oil. If it more or less tasteless, it is probably "cbd oil" (mct oil + cbd isolate). There is also whole plant oil " cbd oil" but unless it says something about using the whole plant (full spectrum) on the bottle it likely isnt.

I agree that a vet check wouldnt hurt, even if everything is ok it would ease your mind.
The ingredients are listed as "hemp oil" only. It's beyond illegal to not list ingredients with very few exceptions none of which apply for products intended for oral consumption.

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Banner Hoarder
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
I'm not at all arguing that hemp oil isn't healthy, and I'm not anti hemp or marijuana by any means. But if it's marked as Hemp to get around Amazon selling rules, and still contains CBD, how are you supposed to know the dosage you are giving your pet when it doesn't list anywhere on the package or website how much is in it? They also don't say anywhere that it's made with the whole plant

There is dishonesty in this no matter how you slice it.

Furthermore, they actually DO have a blend specifically for anxiety that I actually COULD see helping a bird.

A proprietary blend of Chamomile, Thiamine, Lemon Balm, Hemp, Melatonin

Straight hemp? Heck no, I don't believe it. Hemp with other things we know actually help with anxiety? Yes. However, melatonin as a daily supplement seems wrong.

Travis726

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Travis
I get the vibe you guys think im saying "give this to your bird". I was responding to someone saying it was hempseed oil based on the price. Then gave some info on how it MAY have cbd in it.. The dosage... they tell you based on weight technically.. That being said I should probably say (thought i did in my original post but guess i didnt) is that while I know more than most about cannabis, I know less than most here about bird anatomy so I would do a ton of reading before giving my bird anything..

As far as it being illegal not to list ingredients, I dont know the law when it comes to "bird dietary supplements" because that is probably how they are selling it.

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Banner Hoarder
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
The CBD I buy is 250mg of CBD per bottle, or 8.3 mg/mL. So I know much I'm actually consuming. I take half a dropper worth, which means I take about 4.15mg per dose.

So my question about the dosage is about how much is the bird getting per the recommended amount given a day?

@Travis726 my comments aren't directed at you; I'm just using points you are bringing up to discuss the product is all :)

Travis726

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Travis
The CBD I buy is 250mg of CBD per bottle, or 8.3 mg/mL. So I know much I'm actually consuming. I take half a dropper worth, which means I take about 4.15mg per dose.
I dont want to get too off topic... but are you taking full spectrum oil? If not you can save a ton of money by buying isolate and mct oil and mixing your own.. A 250mg bottle would cost under $10 in isolate and mct oil. That being said I have always found the full spectrum hemp/cbd oil made from the entire plant to work the best when it comes to pain and anxiety at least for me. Not sure if it is an entourage effect of other cannabinoids/terpenes making the cbd more effective, or if its those other cannabinoids etc that work for me..

Give it a decade of real testing and we will know much more about cannabis and its benefits now that our country is starting to accept it as a medicine.

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Banner Hoarder
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
I dont want to get too off topic... but are you taking full spectrum oil? If not you can save a ton of money by buying isolate and mct oil and mixing your own.. A 250mg bottle would cost under $10 in isolate and mct oil. That being said I have always found the full spectrum hemp/cbd oil made from the entire plant to work the best when it comes to pain and anxiety at least for me. Not sure if it is an entourage effect of other cannabinoids/terpenes making the cbd more effective, or if its those other cannabinoids etc that work for me..

Give it a decade of real testing and we will know much more about cannabis and its benefits now that our country is starting to accept it as a medicine.
I'm not taking anything right now as I'm nursing :) But yes I use a Full Spectrum CBD normally.

Fuzzy

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Roz
I bought some ordinary hemp oil from the health shop yesterday. No CBD, just hemp oil - it was right next to the flax oil I usually get. Wanted to try it as the Omega-3 is meant to be more potent.

Birdy05

Moving in
Real Name
Camila
Hi everyone, I hope you are well! Just a little update on Coti (my birdy):
I feel she's doing alright; there hasn't really been a lot of change. Her chest looks to have more feathers, but I still see her pluck occasionally. Weight-wise, she is still the same. She eats all her veggies and fruit the second I give them to her; and she also eats her pellets and seed. She has taken to jumping on the table and shredding the napkins (she loves shredding toys!) She loves to cuddle on my shoulder with me when I watch TV. Here are some wonderful picture of her.

Attachments

OcGalRN

Moving in
Birdy05, how is your bird behavior now that it's been a while, is it better with the hemp oil? Did you stop using it? I have a Hans macaw that I've had since he was 6 months old. He's always been so sweet but a few weeks ago he started plucking his wing feathers to the point that it looks like skeleton wings. He also has a little bald spot on his shoulder. I had taken him to a physical and he had just started but the vet told me he was just learning to prune so we would keep an eye. He looked at his diet and habits and all was well. I just took him again about his plucking and the vet said he was going through puberty and didn't know what to do with the surge of hormones. He recommended an implant of Suprelin which is a hormone blocker that is used in children to stop or delay puberty. He had the procedure and I still don't see much of a change but he did say it would take a while.