• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Karla2023

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Karla
Ok that's good. They are definitely looking into everything.

I will be thinking of you guys on Monday. :sadhug2::bluhug:

Keep us updated.

Hopefully some other members will weigh in as well. Maybe they will have different insights
Thank you so much for chatting with me. I was in shock of all the test they did to my bird compare to the vet linked to the bird shop.

Karla2023

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Karla
Ok that's good. They are definitely looking into everything.

I will be thinking of you guys on Monday. :sadhug2::bluhug:

Keep us updated.

Hopefully some other members will weigh in as well. Maybe they will have different insights
I will post again after the biopsy. If anyone else has any info please share and thank you very much.

Karla2023

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Karla
Dropping prior to dinner please see photo. While and after dinner the droppings were mostly plain clear transparent liquid with almost no solid portion.

Attachments

Karla2023

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Karla
I want to also inform here that I offer clean fresh water three times daily to the bird and I clean the cage 2 time per day y scrub the bottom of the cage where the poop get stuck with a brush and vinegar with water daily in the morning and before bed time. I use for the bottom of the cage the flyer papers I get on the mail. I’m just saying this as I know many parasite and bacteria I have read that are because of poor hygiene. I also was wash my hand excessively every time I handle the bird. Even when I clean her cage I immediately go and wash hands with antibacterial soap. My bird gets baths with plain water 2-3 a week. I don’t know if I am doing anything wrong . I also clean the perches with vinegar with water and I change her toys and replaced with clean ones. I clean her play Stand she has in my room daily with water and vinegar.

Shezbug

ASK ME FOR PICTURES OF MY MACAW!
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Shez
Sorry @Karla2023 I am struggling to read this whole thread as my internet is dropping out with the storm we are having. I will try to read it later when the storm is over and let you know if I can offer any help.

Karla2023

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Karla
Sorry @Karla2023 I am struggling to read this whole thread as my internet is dropping out with the storm we are having. I will try to read it later when the storm is over and let you know if I can offer any help.
@Shezbug Thank you so much. No problem, I hope you are safe from the storm.
be safe!

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
Do you have a record of hatchday? Are you sure she's as young as they said? Just curious.

Sometimes they just have poor genetics and it's nothing we did. A liver biopsy seems like a really drastic next step...

Anecdotally, I've never had an issue with my birds with Zupreem, even as the bulk of the diet. If it were my bird, I would be probably increase the pellets and limit veggies to see if that increases the calcium levels, but I'm not sure how that would affect the bile.

Karla2023

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Karla
Do you have a record of hatchday? Are you sure she's as young as they said? Just curious.

Sometimes they just have poor genetics and it's nothing we did. A liver biopsy seems like a really drastic next step...

Anecdotally, I've never had an issue with my birds with Zupreem, even as the bulk of the diet. If it were my bird, I would be probably increase the pellets and limit veggies to see if that increases the calcium levels, but I'm not sure how that would affect the bile.
Hatch day was 3/22 they gave me papers at the store with DNA testing included. I’m so lost I have no idea what to do. And the doctor says a biopsy would be the only way to know. ☹

Karla2023

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Karla
I read on an internet website that some birds have iron storage in the liver. I do feed her khale and spinach almost everyday. . This is terrible . And I don’t think it would be a parasite because her test were negative for those.

Milo

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Jenny
So.... in a bird this young it could be something infectious. I personally don't like RAL as a lab to send out to. For chlamydia testing I'd recommend sending samples to the university of Georgia for a PCR test.

Was this a fasted bile acids test? They can be elevated if the bird has recently eaten, even just a snack. Before jumping to a biopsy rechecking a sample after an 8-12 hour fast would be a good idea. Her other liver enzymes are within normal range so that's good!

Essentially what you know right now is that your bird has inflammation in their body but determining the source can be tricky. It can be infectious or systemic, and the only way to figure it out is more testing. A less invasive next step could be radiographs or a CT scan to give more of a look into the body. Unfortunately the clinical signs require casting a wide net to try and figure this out because they're very nonspecific. Radiographs can also help rule out metal in her gi tract that she may have accidentally ingested. It happens more often than you think!

Unfortunately everything here is very nonspecific. I don't know that a liver biopsy isn't the best course of action (they may be able to get away with just an aspirate which is still invasive but less than a keyhole biopsy). But I can say that more digging is definitely warranted. Advanced imaging I think is a next logical step so at least you can see if there's something else going on in there.

For the diet I'd keep her on the pellets. Most of the veggies you're feeding her are great as long as she's actually eating everything and the grain portion of it isn't huge. I would absolutely cut out the egg though, our parrots aren't made to handle animal protein and that contributes to vascular disease later in life. I would suggest swapping out the dried peppers for a fresh option like jalapeno if she likes the spice.

Editing to add: Petstores do not have their animal's best interests at heart. Period. I don't care how good the animals look or how much the owner/workers seem to care, they are there to make a profit. I don't think that you were tricked per se but calling an animal healthy by simply doing a physical exam is doing medicine with 1.5 arms tied behind your back. If you signed a contract or health agreement with them I'd be reading it very carefully right now to see if you're within any sort of window to hold them accountable.

Out of curiosity where are you located?

Last edited:

Karla2023

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Karla
So.... in a bird this young it could be something infectious. I personally don't like RAL as a lab to send out to. For chlamydia testing I'd recommend sending samples to the university of Georgia for a PCR test.

Was this a fasted bile acids test? They can be elevated if the bird has recently eaten, even just a snack. Before jumping to a biopsy rechecking a sample after an 8-12 hour fast would be a good idea. Her other liver enzymes are within normal range so that's good!

Essentially what you know right now is that your bird has inflammation in their body but determining the source can be tricky. It can be infectious or systemic, and the only way to figure it out is more testing. A less invasive next step could be radiographs or a CT scan to give more of a look into the body. Unfortunately the clinical signs require casting a wide net to try and figure this out because they're very nonspecific. Radiographs can also help rule out metal in her gi tract that she may have accidentally ingested. It happens more often than you think!

Unfortunately everything here is very nonspecific. I don't know that a liver biopsy isn't the best course of action (they may be able to get away with just an aspirate which is still invasive but less than a keyhole biopsy). But I can say that more digging is definitely warranted. Advanced imaging I think is a next logical step so at least you can see if there's something else going on in there.

For the diet I'd keep her on the pellets. Most of the veggies you're feeding her are great as long as she's actually eating everything and the grain portion of it isn't huge. I would absolutely cut out the egg though, our parrots aren't made to handle animal protein and that contributes to vascular disease later in life. I would suggest swapping out the dried peppers for a fresh option like jalapeno if she likes the spice.

Editing to add: Petstores do not have their animal's best interests at heart. Period. I don't care how good the animals look or how much the owner/workers seem to care, they are there to make a profit. I don't think that you were tricked per se but calling an animal healthy by simply doing a physical exam is doing medicine with 1.5 arms tied behind your back. If you signed a contract or health agreement with them I'd be reading it very carefully right now to see if you're within any sort of window to hold them accountable.

Hi Milo thank you so much for your reply. They did not gave any health documents they just told me to go to this vet that is linked to them and told me that I would have to see their vet within 72 hours which I did. And he took blood sample and samples of her dropping and told me in 15 minutes that everything was fine. I am located in south Florida USA. The bird is acting normal she plays and talks. But what made me take her to the other vet this year was that she is very picky eater and doesn’t gain weight.

the labs lab was done fasting. Thank you so much for posting. You guys have no idea how worry I am. I barely sleep at night thinking about the worst.

BrianB

Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
It sounds like chlamydia is a possibility but I'm not a vet so don't take my word for it. There could be a congenital liver issue at play. I don't have a ton of experience with cockatoos other than the ones we have at the store and Saffy. The ones we have at the store have a mix of pellets available to them at all times, with a little seed in a separate dish. In the morning they each get a dish of chop that they have access to for about 4 hours before we discard it. With the exception of an Eclectus, the chop is a balanced part of their diet, not the majority of it. I would wait to see what the vet has to say, but please let us know.

Karla2023

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Karla

The samples were sent to the university of Miami (UM)

Milo

Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Jenny
The samples were sent to the university of Miami (UM)
The disease testing was sent to RAL. It’s the “quatri test” listed above the bloodwork that was sent to Miami (which is an excellent lab for bloodwork)