• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Karla2023

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Karla
Good afternoon,

I got a cockatoo umbrella female in October 2022 she is 1 year old. I decided to take the bird to an avian vet for an anual wellness exam to see why this bird is not waiting much during the day. And they did fecal. And blood test. Her fecal came back negative for parasite and bacteria, but her blood test came back with some abnormal range for her bile acid is high and her beta globulins are also high. This parrot I don’t feed it seeds every week only every two weeks I give her very little . And I barely give her any nuts . She is mostly eating vegetables, quinoa, kale, squash, spinach, chia seeds, pumpkin seeds, carrots, green peas, sweet potato. Chili pods peppers dried and also 1 egg weekly and bananas . At the pet shop they had her on zupreme color pellets. She is a picky eater and she doesn’t want to eat the Harrison’s or tops pellet. I give her the same water I drink is filtered. And I dont give any human junk food. This bird weight 396 grams. She eats very little alone in the morning I basically have to feed her with a spoon or she will go the whole day without eating much. I did notice that at night she has very wet droppings not sure if that is because of the vegetables. The vets sent me a few medication like milk thristle. The vet also recommended a liver biopsy. Can anyone be able to tell me what to expect. I am not understanding why would a very young cockatoo have liver disease if I feed her mostly vegetables. She is also low in Calcium. He bile acid is 93.4 and the beta globulins is 1.17. if anyone have had any experience similar to mine or know of any information I would appreciated. Thank you

Pixiebeak

Biking along the boulevard
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Laura
Parrot's need a certain amount of carbs protein and fats in their diet .
What did veterinarian say about your diet?

That's why a pellet is a good base.

If you do mostly fresh then you will need to research what will give the right amount of protein and fats and mineral and vitamin into the diet daily. And it's more complex than I'm comfortable with. But kinda looks like your diet is low in protein and fats as a guess ...

I feed my birds pellets, seed mix ( they are more seed eaters than your species) and lots of veggies, with soaked cooked legumes, sprouts when gett off my butt, some boiled egg, light in some fruit, occasionally nuts.

all species have some unique diet needs. Lots of research and we all talk diets lots here too .

But I use pellets to cover what I'm missing

Last edited:

Karla2023

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Karla
Parrot's need a certain amount of carbs protein and fats in their diet .
What did veterinarian say about your diet?

That's why a pellet is a good base.

If you do mostly fresh then you will need to research what will give the right amount of protein and fats and mineral and vitamin into the diet daily. And it's more complex than I'm comfortable with. But kinda looks like your diet is low in protein and fats as a guess ...

I feed my birds pellets, seed mix ( they are more seed eaters than your species) and lots of veggies, with soaked cooked legumes, sprouts when gett off my butt, some boiled egg, light in some fruit, occasionally nuts.

all species have some unique diet needs. Lots of research and we all talk diets lots here too .

But I use pellets to cover what I'm missing

Hi thank you for taking the time to respond. She is on zupreme color pellets. He said he doesn’t know what could be causing it. Because my bird is no obese she is underweight but her bile acid is high :(

Karla2023

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Karla
Does anyone think that maybe she is over eating Amin the evening her vegetables and pellets and that is why he bile acid and beta globulins are high because she might be over feeding? she eats a lot and drinks lots of water. She has urine excess in the evening when she is eating. I don’t know if her problem might come from the bird shop. Since I have always seen this like this since she got home. I also give her tops and Harrison pellets. But she will scream in the evening if she doesn’t see her colorful zupreme pellets in her dish with the vegetables.

Pixiebeak

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Laura
All this is complex and I defer to your avain veterinarian.

Was her WBC high? Infection can raise liver values. With being thin , and with being young, and you reporting low energy level.. something is going on to raise liver values...

I feed zoopreem with other pellets. But as a personal antidote..I had 3:birds come to me on zoopreem only or with zoopreem and a few veggies...all 3 we're under weight with lack luster feathers... I feel zoopreem is missing something or not balenced correct.( Personal opinion here) When I got them eating other pellets and really reduced zoopreem plus more veggies and such they all turned around in I'll say 3 months weight gain to normal increased feather luster..

I still do feed zoopreem but limited as 3 if them came loving it....

You can sneak in other pellets by grind up damp with tiny amount of water then mix in with scrambled eggs or mix in with your quinon , steamed veggies. Or make burd muffins with them .

But she might have a health issues causing inflammation of liver. And polyuria

I personally don't think over eat is causing polyuria.

And pellets with veggies is good....I feel more than just diet is st play

Last edited:

Karla2023

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Karla
All this is complex and I defer to your avain veterinarian.

Was her WBC high? Infection can raise liver values. With being thin , and with being young, and you reporting low energy level.. something is going on to raise liver values...

I feed zoopreem with other pellets. But as a personal antidote..I had 3:birds come to me on zoopreem only or with zoopreem and a few veggies...all 3 we're under weight with lack luster feathers... I feel zoopreem is missing something or not balenced correct.( Personal opinion here) When I got them eating other pellets and really reduced zoopreem plus more veggies and such they all turned around in I'll say 3 months weight gain to normal increased feather luster..

I still do feed zoopreem but limited as 3 if them came loving it....

You can sneak in other pellets by grind up damp with tiny amount of water then mix in with scrambled eggs or mix in with your quinon , steamed veggies. Or make burd muffins with them .

But she might have a health issues causing inflammation of liver. And polyuria

I personally don't think over eat is causing polyuria.

And pellets with veggies is good....I feel more than just diet is st play
I am going to attach the labs result. This is terrible and the birdshop sent me to a vet that they send the people that buy their birds and this vet told me that everything was fine this was October 2022. I am very very worried

Pixiebeak

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Laura
I'm not a veterinarian.
But I see Chlamydia was listed as a rule out. And I went through Chlamydia in my flock . It can cause liver inflammation and polyuria.
And weight loss . And you can have a chronic infection vs acute ..

I would seek a second opinion from a different avain veterinarian practice. And ask them about Chlamydia. A young bird , from a pet store ( really it's a pretty common infection not just petstores) with weight loss/ low weight , high liver values and polyuria. It's definitely something to consider. Good news completely treatable! Just takes a long time on doxy. Plus super cleaning everything

One pretty classic sign of Chlamydia is green urine the liquid part of stool . Do you see that in yours? Nit first morning as can be green from fasting. And unfortunately liver inflammation from other causes can can cause the green ..

Can you attach fresh poop pic not first morning poop tho?

Can you ask your veterinarian to follow up testing for this?

Here is my saga with it

Last edited:

Karla2023

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Karla
I'm not a veterinarian.
But I see Chlamydia was listed as a rule out. And I went through Chlamydia in my flock . It can cause liver inflammation and polyuria.
And weight loss . And you can have a chronic infection vs acute ..

One pretty classic sign of Chlamydia is green urine the liquid part of stool . Do you see that in yours? Nit first morning as can be green from fasting. And unfortunately liver inflammation from other causes can can cause the green ..

Can you attach fresh poop pic not first morning poop tho?

Can you ask your veterinarian to follow up testing for this?

Here is my saga with it
her poop has different colors through the day, most of the time is green. Oh no worries I know you are not a vet. I just would like some insight I have never had a cockatoo before. I will take some pictures of her poop throughout the day. I think I have two photos I will post them. I hope this conversation will also help other people.

Karla2023

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Karla
Droppings. Lately it has been very watery. I am very concerned that this bird barely eats anything during the day. ‍ during the day I can’t feel her crop. Which mean she is not eating?

Attachments

Pixiebeak

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Laura
If you click this link it takes you to where I shared pictures examples of the green liquid around stool. Fecal colors can be wide range I'm talking the liquid being green not clear.

It can be difficult to test for...I see it listed as negative.. but I'm unsure what test type they used . ...my veterinarian will treat for it if she believes it matches and is a possibility even with negative test. But all vets are different and I'm really not knowledgeable on the testing part .

Pixiebeak

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Laura
Droppings. Lately it has been very watery. I am very concerned that this bird barely eats anything during the day. ‍ during the day I can’t feel her crop. Which mean she is not eating?
She can have a kidney infection or other , but yes this can match Chlamydia. I really suggest finding a different avain veterinarian practice nit linked to the petstore. Sooner than later...next week if you can .

For supporting care Xtra warmth is always supportive fir birds. I use radiant heat panel sweeter Heater as found on Amazon. Smallest size is more than enough. I highly recommend this heater. But k& h bird heater panel is good to.

Also you can get baby bird formula. I prefer Katee exact. And make up a little thicker than recommend like Greek yogurt thick. See if she will eat from a bowl or your fingers or a spoon. You can try mixing it with her pellets and veggies too. It was well liked by mine and pretty easy to get mine to take . It's easy to digest and will help her weight loss .

Karla2023

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Karla
She can have a kidney infection or other , but yes this can match Chlamydia. I really suggest finding a different avain veterinarian practice nit linked to the petstore. Sooner than later...next week if you can .

For supporting care Xtra warmth is always supportive fir birds. I use radiant heat panel sweeter Heater as found on Amazon. Smallest size is more than enough. I highly recommend this heater. But k& h bird

panel is good to.

Also you can get baby bird formula. I prefer Katee exact. And make up a little thicker than recommend like Greek yogurt thick. See if she will eat from a bowl or your fingers or a spoon. You can try mixing it with her pellets and veggies too. It was well liked by mine and pretty easy to get mine to take . It's easy to digest and will help her weight loss .
Hi have a different vet that was the one who conducted the labs. He wants to do a liver biopsy next Monday. The test that he did is called

I have attached a photo of the tests names that were done in case anyone here knows.

For supporting care Xtra warmth is always supportive fir birds. I use radiant heat panel sweeter Heater as found on Amazon. Smallest size is more than enough. I highly recommend this heater. But k& h bird heater panel is good to.

I have taken a photo of the labs name that were ordered.I was reading Your story and this stuff is very scary. I dont have any other birds.I have not seen my bird vomiting.

Attachments

Karla2023

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Karla
My bird eats spinach and kale almost everyday.

Pixiebeak

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Laura
A liver biopsy is scary..... And not something I'd want to jump too.... That all is going to be how comfortable you feel with this veterinarian and discussing risks vs rewards .ask them what are they looking for and what t do they expect to see and pick up. What happens if they don't find answers . How rudky is the anesthesia and proceedure And asking if they feel any other non invasive options would give answers... You should feel comfortable with asking questions and how they answer them .

Or even if seeing if their was a response to doxycycline...or azithromycin... Both would treat if was Chlamydia tho doxy is the go to. Both are also broad-spectrum antibiotics that would cover other types of bacterial infections in birds.

But this is your baby . And avian veterinarian s know way more than me.

Pixiebeak

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Laura
The PCR and Elyssa tests have to be sent out in parrot's. Was your tests fir this sent out and take a week or 2 to get back ?

What meds did you get,?

Yes milk thistle is often given to support liver. But what other meds did they give?

And this veterinarian was different than the petstore referral vet? Did you feel comfortable with them and did they answer your question s and explain stuff?
They did do a lot of testing so that's good. And sometimes you have to go further if answers aren't found. I hate when things aren't clear and easy ...

Sorry you are going through this.

Last edited:

Pixiebeak

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Laura
Ok that's good. They are definitely looking into everything.

I will be thinking of you guys on Monday. :sadhug2::bluhug:

Keep us updated.

Hopefully some other members will weigh in as well. Maybe they will have different insights

Karla2023

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Karla
The PCR and Elyssa tests have to be sent out in parrot's. Was your tests fir this sent out and take a week or 2 to get back ?

What meds did you get,?

Yes milk thistle is often given to support liver. But what other meds did they give?

And this veterinarian was different than the petstore referral vet? Did you feel comfortable with them and did they answer your question s and explain stuff?
They did do a lot of testing so that's good.

Sorry you are going through this.
I got something called vetrisci and the other one is acetylcysteine 20%. This veterinarian is not linked to the bird shop.

it is very frustrating because I feel that the birdshop sort of tricked me. They sent me to their vet, vet took blood test and fecal and he told me in 15 mins that everything wasfine And that the bird is healthy. he did not send labs anywhere.