• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Beak issue

zoo mom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Elaine
:grouphug: Lots and lots of virtual hugs to you, Chirp, and your father. You are taking awesome care of Chirp and your Dad is helping you. I wish I could wave a magic wand and make him healthy.

Love My Zons

Cruising the avenue
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Claire
You my dear, have been an amazing bird owner. You have been so diligent with his care it is amazing. The trips to the Vet each time are costly I am sure.

I look at life with our pets with challenges or issues as this. If they seem happy, if there is a quality of life as in eats, drinks, poops and pees there is life!

When these things begin to fade, it is no longer quality. But Chirp is living proof, that even with this disability, he is living a quality life because of you.

Keep him fed, and happy as he seems! We are all pulling for him and you. He is a little trooper and he's such a lucky little Guy! :heart:

tka

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Bee, you're an amazing friend, advocate and carer for Chirp. He wouldn't have got this far without your dedication, and you're doing all you can to help him enjoy life. I know how awful it is to have a sick pet and not be able to do anything for them except nurse them; it's such a helpless feeling. However, you're doing so much to keep Chirp happy and comfortable.

finchly

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Finchly
Bee, you're an amazing friend, advocate and carer for Chirp. He wouldn't have got this far without your dedication, and you're doing all you can to help him enjoy life. I know how awful it is to have a sick pet and not be able to do anything for them except nurse them; it's such a helpless feeling. However, you're doing so much to keep Chirp happy and comfortable.
And this, Bee, is what you need to focus on. It is a universal helpless feeling, when we can't wave a magic wand and make them feel better. (My hubby says "i'm always having to learn that lesson again, that I'm not in control"). Don't forget that others have been there, and are pulling for you, and will help you through this. YOU ARE NOT ALONE.

You're doing all that you can. When you break down crying, remember this. You are doing/ have done your best. In fact you're doing it better than most people! You're doing a great job.

Another point: Think of all the minors on this board who say "my parents won't take my budgie to the vet" but your dad has taken Chirp countless times. You've got a great dad.

Love My Zons

Cruising the avenue
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Claire
And this, Bee, is what you need to focus on. It is a universal helpless feeling, when we can't wave a magic wand and make them feel better. (My hubby says "i'm always having to learn that lesson again, that I'm not in control"). Don't forget that others have been there, and are pulling for you, and will help you through this. YOU ARE NOT ALONE.

You're doing all that you can. When you break down crying, remember this. You are doing/ have done your best. In fact you're doing it better than most people! You're doing a great job.

Another point: Think of all the minors on this board who say "my parents won't take my budgie to the vet" but your dad has taken Chirp countless times. You've got a great dad.
You all are great and Tanya. You rock sweet Lady, I think you spoke for all of us tight here! :hug9::wow:must be the writer in you :loveit:

taxidermynerd

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Bee (they/he)
This is his cage set-up right now. He's so much happier than in the little cage. He has his favorite grapewood perch, his little swing, his favorite toys and a nice platform to sit on.

Peachfaced

The Peachy Inkpress
JOLLY-PATROLLY
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Sadie
May I ask what you constructed the false bottom with?

enigma731

Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
I think that's an excellent setup. You'll be able to tell by his behavior what works best for him.

taxidermynerd

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Bee (they/he)
May I ask what you constructed the false bottom with?
It's plastic egg crate (light diffuser), it's like a plastic grid. I covered it in walmart fleece, secured with zipties. It's resting on top of 2 dowel perches, the ones that came with the cage. And it's covered in paper towels. It's not perfect, but for a one-night project it's not bad.

Peachfaced

The Peachy Inkpress
JOLLY-PATROLLY
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Sadie
It's plastic egg crate (light diffuser), it's like a plastic grid. I covered it in walmart fleece, secured with zipties. It's resting on top of 2 dowel perches, the ones that came with the cage. And it's covered in paper towels. It's not perfect, but for a one-night project it's not bad.
That's quite clever, and more secure than mine. Kinda wish I hadn't thrown out the dowels my cages came with.

finchly

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Finchly
Oh you're so much more technical than me. I made one from cardboard and hung it with zipties. :D The finches didn't care.

taxidermynerd

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Bee (they/he)
Today we saw the vet again, we're continuing with the clavamox. The vet says, her hope at this point is that the upper beak and mass come off, and he'll be able to live his life (albeit different). She agrees that the little bit that came off of Chirp's beak was a blood clot.

Rain Bow

Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Bea my friend, you've got this! I wish I could give you a big giant hug. I know this is scary but you are doing great in Chirp's care. One day @ a time & I'll keep praying for you both.

:bluhug:

Rain Bow

Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
I don't know how the heck I missed reading an entire page of posts & get to the bottom & I'm the last one that posted.... on the page... I never read? Did the group hiccup since last night?

taxidermynerd

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Bee (they/he)
I don't know how the heck I missed reading an entire page of posts & get to the bottom & I'm the last one that posted.... on the page... I never read? Did the group hiccup since last night?
Hmm, I don't think I've posted in this thread since your last post. Maybe something went weird with the forum.

Rain Bow

Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Yea, it was weird! Or I'm crazier than I thought! Lol... Anyhow, I'm just happy @ Chirppy's new digs!!! You did a GREAT JOB & YOU should be really proud of yourself, honey! You don't give yourself enough credit for all your hard work!!!

Patience

Meeting neighbors
I read this thread and have been trying to think of something to say. Prayers for you and Chirp.

taxidermynerd

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Bee (they/he)
Today we had a vet visit. The vet says his beak is looking pretty good (considering the circumstances). She's hopeful that after this round of Clavamox we might be able to stop giving it! I would like that and I'm sure Chirp would too (he gets it every 12 hours). So another 2 weeks of that.

I also gave her a few webpages we had talked about previously, Lil Monsters and Seriously Nutz, as well as AA itself and Danita's FB page with Coco. She told me they're always looking for good toy places to recommend to parronts.

So we go back in another 2 weeks!

taxidermynerd

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Bee (they/he)
Since the first vet visit of the WD Saga on 8/15/2019, we have spent $1,474.19 on Chirp's vet care/medications/beak trims/ER visits.

Folks, check into things like pet insurance. I sure wish we had it.

I can't remember if I've shared this with yalll but we applied for insurance for Chirp back in November. We got denied, saying that they would need a letter from Chirp's vet saying he was cured of liver disease. Well that's not gonna happen.