• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Beak issue

enigma731

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Since the first vet visit of the WD Saga on 8/15/2019, we have spent $1,474.19 on Chirp's vet care/medications/beak trims/ER visits.

Folks, check into things like pet insurance. I sure wish we had it.

I can't remember if I've shared this with yalll but we applied for insurance for Chirp back in November. We got denied, saying that they would need a letter from Chirp's vet saying he was cured of liver disease. Well that's not gonna happen.
I feel your pain. My birds were all adopted with chronic medical conditions so none of them would qualify.

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
Since the first vet visit of the WD Saga on 8/15/2019, we have spent $1,474.19 on Chirp's vet care/medications/beak trims/ER visits.

Folks, check into things like pet insurance. I sure wish we had it.

I can't remember if I've shared this with yalll but we applied for insurance for Chirp back in November. We got denied, saying that they would need a letter from Chirp's vet saying he was cured of liver disease. Well that's not gonna happen.
That is a chunk of change.

I want to say thank you on behalf of Chirp. For seeing him as more than "just a budgie" like so many others would. For knowing that he is worth it when others would just see the price tag.

I know that doesn't make it better. I know it doesn't make it right what has happened to you. But I just tear up thinking about the other birds out there that don't have a parront like you. :hug2:

taxidermynerd

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Bee (they/he)
Thank you so much guys :hug8:Many times I feel like I am not doing enough for him, like I am inadequate, but I come here and I am reminded that I am doing everything I can.

Yes @Rain Bow - that does not include special food things, cage setup items, things to adapt to his special needs, etc. That doesn't include testing either, other than an oral swab and 2 fecal gram stains. The option of taking him to UofI was discussed but he would be too small and fragile for testing or surgery (CT, blood draw, etc), so we decided not to pursue that.

So that figure is just things directly from the vet invoices, including his prescribed medications and beak trims.

Shezbug

ASK ME FOR PICTURES OF MY MACAW!
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Shez
I am so thankful that all it takes to remind you of the wonderful care you provide that little cutie with is for you to come here!
I think you’ll find many of us here are absolutely amazed at your levels of strength and the lengths you go to because of your unconditional love and responsibility levels for your little star!
You’re a legend Chirp caretaker and Mom!!
Bee, please never let yourself feel inadequate again- you’re amazing:heart:

finchly

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Finchly
The costs add up quick! We've spent nearly $10,000 on one dog, and who knows how many thousands on birds. I finally got (a little) smart with the other dog, and applied for insurance. So far it hasn't covered anything related to ears or skin, which are the problems. Not to mention the special food.... yikes.

We need to all mention this when new people, minors especially, come on the board saying they want a bird. I talked to a finch owner last week who didn't want to spend $65 taking her finch to the vet... it's so much more than that.

:hug2:@taxidermynerd

tka

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Bee, you are such a good parent to Chirp. You are doing everything you can - the way you've nursed Chirp through multiple challenges and set-backs is truly inspiring. I wish all budgies - no, all birds - had a human as dedicated and committed as you.

Ankou

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
Real Name
Sondra
Can I also add how awesome your father is? How many younger people end up on AA asking for veterinary advice for a critically ill bird who's parents won't take it to the vet because ""it's just a bird."" It's "just" heartbreaking. I can't comprehend how heartless some people are. I know money can be a serious issue but lack of compassion seems to be the problem more often...

He sounds like such a good/responsible person.

taxidermynerd

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Bee (they/he)
Can I also add how awesome your father is? How many younger people end up on AA asking for veterinary advice for a critically ill bird who's parents won't take it to the vet because ""it's just a bird."" It's "just" heartbreaking. I can't comprehend how heartless some people are. I know money can be a serious issue but lack of compassion seems to be the problem more often...

He sounds like such a good/responsible person.
I still remember way back when I first got Chirp. He said he would never in a million years take a bird to the vet, it's just a 25$ budgie. Then later that week we were at the vet for Chirp's first checkup, he asked our vet "Is it normal for people to bring their birds to the vet?", and she responded by telling us they had a little finch in the back on oxygen.

Since that time Dad has really bonded with Chirp. They were tv buddies for a good while, and Dad will often come in to just say hi to Chirp. He cares just as much as I do now, even if he doesn't fully get it.

Tiel Feathers

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Deanna
I love your dad! :heart: I guess the apple doesn’t fall far from the tree. You both are awesome in my book!:yes3:

Shezbug

ASK ME FOR PICTURES OF MY MACAW!
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Shez
I love your dad! :heart: I guess the apple doesn’t fall far from the tree. You both are awesome in my book!:yes3:
I think at this stage with how much we know about Bee’s dad it’s probably fair to say we all have a very high level of respect for him as a dad and a person and we all love him!! Not many dads would be as supportive- Bee and dad make a wicked team :heart:

Monica

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Monica
My mother wouldn't even spend $65 to take an animal to a vet... *UNLESS* it was her cat... first vet visit was around $1,000 I think???? which she required help to pay for. Then she refused to listen to the vet's recommendations.... 6 months later and another $600 down the drain... she listened THEN! But if it wasn't that cat, then it would only be an excuse as to why we can't take that animal to the vet.

I hated it. I freaking hated it. It was like, oh, we can't afford to spend $65 for a vet visit but here's a $100 grill! Can't afford to go to the vet, but here's a $600 shed!!!

You are beyond blessed to have a father like you do and Chirp is so blessed to have you as his human! We all mean it! Whenever you get stressed and feeling down, please remember we all cherish you for what you've accomplished and done for Chirp! :heart::heart::heart::hug8:Whatever happens will happen, we are all rooting for lil' Chirp and just keep being amazing Bee! Don't ever stop! :D

JoJo&Loki

Real Name
Kelly
I’m also on the Bea’s dad is awesome train! :cheer: He’s done a great job raising a wonderful human and supports her quest to give Chirp the best care.

This was a great update too, Chirp is AA’s budgie warrior:rpg3:

taxidermynerd

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Bee (they/he)
So it finally happened. The last little bit of his beak that was sticking down came off. I noticed it as I was getting him for his nighttime clavamox. I think he lost it at some point during the day, as he was fine this morning. I did notice during the day he wasn't eating as much, he was still eating though.

It's not bleeding, so we'll hold off on the vet until tomorrow when they open, I will check to make sure he can eat as well. Here are pictures of his beak. There is still a little spikey bit of beak left, that little black bit you see. I wonder if the vet might be able to file/Dremel that little bit off. Pics of what his beak was like previously are available in post #306 in the thread. There was part of the mass inside, but that is gone now (it was black, so I'm guessing no bloodflow?). I looked everywhere but couldn't find the little bit of his beak that came off.

(That little bit you see on the side of Chirp's beak is just stuff caked on feathers, don't worry!)

camelotshadow

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Christine
Bless Chirp & your Dad & you...A life is a life no matter how small the value is in our hearts...We never know what paths our life may take or whom we may meet along the way but its a blessing to find those who love us for what we have or have not,,,

Love My Zons

Cruising the avenue
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Claire
Awe, just a sweet boy. I hope all the bad tissue is gone now. I hope and pray new growth can come of this. A slight trim your Vet can determine this today, hopefully she can clean that up alittle.

Hugs to you both! :hug8: