• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Beak issue

Lady Jane

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Dianne
Why wont animal control do their job? I know here in MD the animal must be contained or they will not come.

CrazyBirdChick

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Diane
Why wont animal control do their job? I know here in MD the animal must be contained or they will not come.
We have coyotes here to help contain the rodents. There are somewhere between like 1500 - 2000 of them and they're all tracked. They usually don't cause any problems as long as people don't leave their smaller dogs unattended. Though this week on the news there was a couple of instances when a coyote attacked a small dog right in front of it's owner. I have a feeling that particular coyote may have been fed by people and thus feels braver. They're usually not a problem though and animal control wouldn't try to remove them.

taxidermynerd

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Bee (they/he)
Good question. I know last year a local pet store had a dog running loose in front, they got him inside the store and called the animal control. They told them to let the dog loose, right on the street, which is a major roadway. Obviously they didn't, ultimately they found him a person to stay with. All the animal controls here are so useless. If you call them they basically tell you to figure it out.

rocky'smom

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
laurie
We have coyotes all over the place. Friend of mine rides her bike to work, saw mama with 5 little ones trying to take on snapping turtle. They the coyotes will hunt our dumpsters and will walk the sidewalks in the complex.

taxidermynerd

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Bee (they/he)
Today we had to make an ER trip to the vet.

At 11:30, I went to give Chirp his ointment (the only med he needs today). I got him in his critter carrier, got him in a washcloth and proceeded to pick the dried pellet mash off of his beak. I saw a little part of the mass that wasn't there before, and I went to touch it and it came off onto my finger. It was the size of maybe half a grain of rice, probably smaller.

I had dad call the vet to ask if we could bring it in (for possible testing), then I ran back into my room and saw Chirp was bleeding, a fair bit. I got him out and packed some yunnan baiyao on there. It didn't stop the bleeding. Shoot. So I had dad tell the vet we were coming in right away.

We got Chirp in the car and hightailed it there. I packed on some more yunnan baiyao, which seemed to work that time. They took us right back. Our normal vet wasn't there today, so we saw the other exotics vet (who is also very good).

She took a good look at him. She thinks the thing is a blood clot that came off- she's saving it to show to our regular vet. She said there isn't much they could have done, other than what I did- make sure the bleeding stops and that he's stable.

She said it's time for him to go into his small cage. He's in there right now, he's not happy but he's safe at least. I will ask at the next visit (the 23rd) if our vet thinks I could put a false bottom in his flight cage (so he could have more space).

So now we're home. Nothing has really changed in the care I need to give, it's just part of what he's dealing with. I'm just thankful that it wasn't catastrophic blood loss.

This pic was at the vet- the dark part is dried blood and yunnan baiyao. Second pic is his little cage. It's not as dark as the photos make it look. He has a heat lamp on the one side, and light from my bedside lamp is coming in on the other.

Zara

♥❀Livin´ in Lovebird Land❀☼
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Aww poor chirp!
You are doing great at taking care of him and being so attentive :hug9:

Shezbug

ASK ME FOR PICTURES OF MY MACAW!
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Shez
Gosh Bee, how scary for you :(
:gbh: Big hug for you and best wishes for no more emergencies for Chirp.

Mockinbirdiva

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Andrea
Gosh.. I'm so sorry for your fright with Chirp. He's just the prettiest little budgie and quite the trooper! Just as you are Bee.. we're all very proud of you and your care for such a precious little being!

taxidermynerd

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Bee (they/he)
And how are you doing?
I'm doing, not well, but still doing. It's hard but I'm trying my best to stay strong for him. When we got to the vet as soon as we got in the room I just broke. I was so scared I was gonna lose him- I knew this could happen at some point but no matter how well you prepare, you're never really ready, you know?

Chirp was so agitated in the little cage, he wouldn't stop climbing around and yelling. So I put him in the flight cage again, with the false bottom in. He's now sitting happily, nibbling on toys. I think that might be the way to go, it's much bigger and just a couple inches higher. And he's so much happier. I was actually worried he might hurt his beak while doing all the climbing.

Also that Super Clot got here. Really coulda used that just a few hours before.

Last edited:

Love My Zons

Cruising the avenue
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Claire
You are both in my prayers for total healing. I am sorry you had this setback. Maybe it was the bad part shedding off.

I look forward to an update on your next visit.

I hope you find some peace and comfort tonight and relax!

Last edited:

camelotshadow

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Christine
:sadhug2: :angel2: Poor Chirp & you...It must be so hard on him that beak is really messed up...He;s the guy who used to fly into walls head first? Guess somehow he damaged it...Looks so bad but hopefully with all the love you give him & some strength from him in time that will grow out...

taxidermynerd

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Bee (they/he)
:sadhug2: :angel2: Poor Chirp & you...It must be so hard on him that beak is really messed up...He;s the guy who used to fly into walls head first? Guess somehow he damaged it...Looks so bad but hopefully with all the love you give him & some strength from him in time that will grow out...
Yes, but that's got nothing to do with it. To cut a long story short (the entire thing is chronicled in this thread), Chirp's beak has gotten worse and worse over time, since his initial diagnosis. The mass is attached to the beak, but it does not grow out. The upper beak has pretty much stopped growing altogether.

We don't know if this is cancerous or what, if it is then there's nothing we can do. And really, we've exhausted all of our medical options.

Currently, I'm providing essentially palliative care. I will continue to do so for as long as Chirp needs me. I don't want to sound pessimistic, but there has been a definite downwards decline over the last few months.

Tiel Feathers

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Deanna
:sadhug2: :sadhug2::sadhug2::sadhug2:
You are doing awesome by him, and he’s so lucky to have you.:heart:

rocky'smom

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
laurie
Oh sweetheart I'm so sorry comon chirp you can do this.