• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

mariyatiel

Moving in
Real Name
Mariya
I have been wondering if my beautiful cockatiel named Marshal is actually a girl?

I thought ‘he’ was a boy since he is very vocal in the daytime and always does the contact calls. He is very energetic in daytime and plays and rips up everything! In the evening he is VERY calm.

BUT he is almost a year old and does not make ANY other noise except contact calls. This is why I’m wondering if he is a girl. What do you think? :bored:

Lastly, when will he start whistling? We have been training him to for months now with youtube videos and of course our own whistling. 89B01264-520C-4F78-85CA-0F478F6996B7.jpeg 7AE5D5B2-742F-4B2E-A703-E5629CC923CF.jpeg

Mark & Da Boyz

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Mark
On most Cockatiels the only way to be sure is a DNA test. BUT I've known a Bella The Fella and a Princess Buddy and a Sam, who should have been Samantha. But they were/are all good little ones and all are sweeties. OR brats as the case may be.

sunnysmom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Michelle
Oh my goodness! He/she is so cute! Is he a lutino? Or is he part pearl too? I'm having a bit of trouble seeing. Has he had his first big molt yet? Not all cockatiels whistle (not even all males). If he doesn't vocalize a lot, it could be an indication of being a girl. Doe he do heart wings?

1617289924168.png

Mark & Da Boyz

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Mark
They kept telling my Nibble was a girl when he first came home.

Now And Then.jpg The Millet Tree.JPG

Outstrech

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Erica
The first pic is so cute :) I'd assume it's a she, but I'm no expert.

mariyatiel

Moving in
Real Name
Mariya
Oh my goodness! He/she is so cute! Is he a lutino? Or is he part pearl too? I'm having a bit of trouble seeing. Has he had his first big molt yet? Not all cockatiels whistle (not even all males). If he doesn't vocalize a lot, it could be an indication of being a girl. Doe he do heart wings?

View attachment 377836
Thank you!! He/she is a lutino and yes Marshal has had his/hers first molt now! And no heart wings yet.

mariyatiel

Moving in
Real Name
Mariya
I have been wondering if my beautiful cockatiel named Marshal is actually a girl?

I thought ‘he’ was a boy since he is very vocal in the daytime and always does the contact calls. He is very energetic in daytime and plays and rips up everything! In the evening he is VERY calm.

BUT he is almost a year old and does not make ANY other noise except contact calls. This is why I’m wondering if he is a girl. What do you think? :bored:

Lastly, when will he start whistling? We have been training him to for months now with youtube videos and of course our own whistling. View attachment 377748 View attachment 377749
Honestly after thinking about this with my family for a few days now we think Marshal is a girl. She is quite territorial and gets moody sometimes. She doesn’t talk much at all. She’s also acts quite calm for most of the day other than her random bursts of excitement and playfulness. I guess we have to see when she gets older to truly determine as I don’t want to do a DNA test on her. :)