• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

7 weeks old macaw panting

maounm

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Aoun mahmood
The videos are from this morning. Early in the morning i nebulised him because he had clogged nostrils. His poop dosent look normal either. He was fine last night. I have hand fed him twice day with no problem his feeding response is normal and no respiratory distress follows

maounm

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Aoun mahmood
The room temp is 27 degrees Celsius and humidity is 54 percent

tka

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award

maounm

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Aoun mahmood
I don't know... he is sleeping. If you woke him would it return to normal?
Yeah if he is interacting with me or walking on the floor he is totally normal. He only does this when he is resting.

BrianB

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
It looks like there may be wood shavings in the poop. He may have eaten some by mistake, or maybe inhaled some while laying down. Try rolling up a towel and making a ring with it. That will give him something to rest against that is above the wood shavings and he won't have his head in it. If that is pine, you might change it out for aspen chips. Some birds are sensitive to the volatile oils in pine and that may be causing a respiratory issue. I think it's good idea to schedule an exam with a vet just to be more he doesn't have something inside that is blocking his ability to breathe when he's laying down.

What does the little one weight and how much is he eating at each meal?

aooratrix

Macawaholic
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Matthew
Is the baby at liberty in the room or is there a brooder or something you keep him in? If there is a brooder or something, what's the temp in there? Does he pant in the breeder, loose in the room, or both?

I didn't observe panting in the video.

macawpower58

Flying along the Avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Shutterbugs' Best
@aooratrix In his first post is a tiny little video right above the big video.
I missed it at first.
It's him sleeping and the breathing.

maounm

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Aoun mahmood
It looks like there may be wood shavings in the poop. He may have eaten some by mistake, or maybe inhaled some while laying down. Try rolling up a towel and making a ring with it. That will give him something to rest against that is above the wood shavings and he won't have his head in it. If that is pine, you might change it out for aspen chips. Some birds are sensitive to the volatile oils in pine and that may be causing a respiratory issue. I think it's good idea to schedule an exam with a vet just to be more he doesn't have something inside that is blocking his ability to breathe when he's laying down.

What does the little one weight and how much is he eating at each meal?
At each meal he takes around 120ml of hand feed 3 times a day. He weighs around 1100 grams. The shavings you see are not from his poop they were there already. Unfortunately we dont have an avian vet here. The general vet said it might be due to the warm weather he is fine.