• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Pictures Vets are stumped

metalstitcher

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Rhiana
Hun I am so sorry. I wish I could give you a hug in person. I know it is so hard seeing your baby like this. Sending you lots of love during this hard time From Gracie and me :bluhug:

Hankmacaw

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Mary Lynn Skinner
Poor baby Peanut. Won't he take food/water from a syringe?
I hope he rallies a little from his sleep last night. Give him lots of love from all of us.

EkkieLuv

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Leslie
He HATES syringes. That's the only reaction I got out of him last night when I tried to get some water in him. I could tell he wanted to bite it in half but couldn't muster up the strength. He is drinking water from a bowl this morning so I put some pom juice and he's drinking that too.

He perked up when Andy got home from work - definitely a response for his chosen human. :) Wanted to step up for him but was too weak. I'm just happy he's drinking for now and praying for the best. Dr. Chen's office called to check on him and offered assistance with feeding if we wanted to bring him back in today. I just don't know. Andy wants him home. The last time we had to make that decision with a sick dog we took her to stay overnight at the vet and she died in her sleep. So he fears leaving him there. :(

Will try some yogurt and mashed sweet potato in a little while and hope to get meds down that way.

EkkieLuv

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Leslie
I promise I won't post every 5 minutes today. Just wanted to thank you all again for all the love and support and private messages. Holding back the tears, trying to be normal for P - they're so intuitive. Mr. Spock and Tigger are worried about him - and probably me, too. They were both as close as they could get to him, watching him until I covered P's cage some so he'd stay warm. They're in there smooching and saying "Peanut" and "I love you" over and over. My heart is in shreds.

Hankmacaw

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Mary Lynn Skinner
Of course your heart is in shreds. How could it be any other way.

Post as much as you feel like posting. There are some of us (me) who are watching and hoping every five minutes.

Macawnutz

Seriously Nutz!
Super Administrator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Sarah
We are all thinking of him and you.

Hankmacaw

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Mary Lynn Skinner
A couple of ideas to get food into him. Could a vet tech come to your home and crop feed him? Can you just run him in, get him crop fed, and come right back home?

EkkieLuv

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Leslie
A couple of ideas to get food into him. Could a vet tech come to your home and crop feed him? Can you just run him in, get him crop fed, and come right back home?
I didn't think to ask that but we live so far from the office I'm not sure they would do that. They were only open until noon - only the emergency department is open now until Monday but I could call and ask if they will do it if we take him in. Since he's perching now - and back to beak-tucked napping - he seems a little bit stronger. I would feel ok about transporting him.

Andy works 5-9am and is napping, himself. When he gets up I'm gonna have him try to offer some food. P accepts things much better from him. :)

Hankmacaw

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Mary Lynn Skinner
Maybe one of the techs lives in your direction and could come by to feed him.

Macawnutz

Seriously Nutz!
Super Administrator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Sarah
You might be surprised what techs and interns are willing to do at your vets office. Call the after hours line and see if anyone would be available.

Tiel Feathers

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Deanna
I'm glad you are updating, and it's good to hear that he's a little stronger now. I kept thinking of the picture of him in his carrier last night and checked how he was doing first thing this morning. Peanut:heart:.
:hug8:

metalstitcher

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Rhiana
I'm so glad he is starting to show some signs of strength. Sending lots of love and positive thoughts your way.

EkkieLuv

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Leslie
We did one last check before crashing tonight. It has been a taxing day for sure and I'm wiped out, despite not doing much but sitting on the couch. Not much change from earlier. We got him sipping water and juice as much as possible all day and he had a little bite of sweet potato but not much. He was a little more alert for Andy for a few minutes as we tucked him in so that was good.

Not much else to report. Will pray for improvement and try to get some sleep.

WendyN

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Wendy
Saying a prayer for you and Peanut.

EkkieLuv

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Leslie
Hey everybody. Nothing new here this morning. P has been napping most of the day with his little beak tucked in. It's so weird to actually see him sleep - we've rarely had that pleasure. But he looks so peaceful and normal that tears just don't stop. He got a dose of Meloxicam mostly down this morning and put up a little struggle for the dreaded syringe. I got excited that he was interested in a little dry mix I offered. He went right for the almond - his all time fave - but just turned it over a couple times and dropped it. Hopes dashed.

I have to work early tomorrow and so does Andy but when he gets home around 10am I think I'll send him to Dr. Chen and get a crop feeding or at least see what she thinks. This sudden and severe decline took us all by surprise. It just doesn't make sense. Andy is feeling like something happened at the vet that they didn't tell us about but I can't imagine that. The staff there has always been stellar and Dr. Chen has invested a lot in this case. I think the stress of getting the fluid drained and then xrays may have just been too much. Maybe?? I don't know.

We don't want him to suffer and his quality of life has obviously drastically diminished. Tomorrow may be a day of very hard decisions...

Hankmacaw

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Mary Lynn Skinner
I don't think anything happened at the vet's - Peanut is just a very, very sick bird. Yes he definitely needs some food in him. Birds just can't go all that long without eating. Peanut's xrays were testament to just how sick he is.

My best thoughts to Peanut, you and your husband.

Tyrion

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Annette Thompson
Sending healing thoughts and hugs :hug8::hug8::hug8: