• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Pictures Vets are stumped

EkkieLuv

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Leslie
We noticed that our Peanut's abdomen seemed enlarged or like there was a mass a few weeks ago. Off to the vet we went. After bloodwork and barium contrast xrays and a lot of group effort research by the 2 avian vets and their staff we have at Gulf Coast here in Houston, they have no idea what's going on. The working diagnosis is dystrophic calcification. His blood calcium is not high so they're not as concerned about metastatic calcification. His liver values were very, very high so they are looking at that... but so far nothing is explaining the mineralization and inflammation that is widespread. They were shocked that he is not acting ill and that he looks very good from the outside. They're also surprised he isn't struggling to breathe because his air sac space is diminished by all the swelling.

There are 2 masses they are concerned about as well. This mama is STRESSING OUT. We are doing a 4-week course of antibiotics, milk thistle and vitamin k12 and will then repeat xrays and see if there are any changes. Dr. Chen wants to scope him and get biopsies of the masses. That is very expensive and of course comes with several risks (sedation is always risky but she's also concerned about bleeding) so we are really hoping the meds at least have some affect.

We just went through several months worth of mystery illness with one of our dogs and in the end she got very sick and we had to let her go. Now facing another mystery is tough to handle.

Attaching Peanut's xrays in case y'all are interested or if anyone has seen something like this before!

xray1.JPG xray2.JPG

Wasabisaurus

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
I am sorry you're going thru this. Peanut must be a tough little guy. My vet suggested scoping Sashimi many times. Sashimi, a male tiel, has since passed, but that was from a second stroke. He's been ill for several years, but I felt a scope might kill him. He had quality of life, so we took the medicine route. I hope that works for you.

We have spent untold amounts of money of meds and vet care, so I know the strain it can be.

I hope Peanut keeps doing well and that whatever it is can be treated.

Clueless

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
So sorry for your stress level......poor little guy

Birdbabe

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
My one tiel had a mass,tumor in her abdominal cavity , it was suspected liver issues. Her air sacs were similar looking to his. The milk thistle regiment did help her for bit, but the mass got so big she had to be released from her sickness. She never acted sick, just got harder for her to breathe. I dearly hope that he will heal and get better.

Macawnutz

Seriously Nutz!
Super Administrator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Sarah

Hankmacaw

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Mary Lynn Skinner
The closest I've seen to those xrays was when Hank's AST was 3,000 and his liver was so swollen that his heart and lungs were compromised by the swelling. He recovered and lived for several more years. Massive doses of Milk Thistle and cessation of Itraconazole brought him back to normal. The calcification in those xrays is amazing and I have had no experience with that.

A word about laparoscopy, my birds have had numerous laparoscopies (both of them) and they came through with flying colors. Hank's first laparoscopy saved his life as the Dr. found several Asper colonies, spread throughout his body that weren't apparent by xray. He flushed the entire body cavity with Amphotericin B and saved Hank's life.

Sedation is much better and safer today than it was even five years ago. The decision is up to you, but don't let fear enter into the decision.

Tiel Feathers

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Deanna
I'm so sorry Peanut is ill. I hope the meds work, and that he will get better soon. Big hugs and prayers for you and Peanut!
:sadhug2:

Macaw Lover

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Renee'
Send that info along with the x-rays to Dr Scott McDonald and see what he might have to say. He is on the road again so it might be a while before he gets to answering your email but you don't have anything to loose. Tell him Renee' with Jody, Kalea and Donovan asked to take a look.

Scott E. McDonald

Tyrion

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Annette Thompson
So sorry to hear this ..sending best wishes and prayers :hug8:

EkkieLuv

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Leslie
Send that info along with the x-rays to Dr Scott McDonald and see what he might have to say. He is on the road again so it might be a while before he gets to answering your email but you don't have anything to loose. Tell him Renee' with Jody, Kalea and Donovan asked to take a look.

Scott E. McDonald
Does he have a specific form to submit this kind of thing? Or a charge for it? Or do I just email him? Thank you all for your support. We've only had one minor illness with these guys years ago - a sinus infection! This is much bigger and worrying me half to death! Peanut was a stray so we know nothing about his history or age, etc, which makes narrowing down a diagnosis a little more difficult. Just hoping they find some answers soon!!

cassiesdad

Ripping up the road
Weather Authority
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Real Name
Bob Weisman
Sending out healing thoughts to Peanut and calming thoughts to you...

Ziggy Stardust

Jogging around the block
Real Name
Jodie Reed
I am so sorry that you are going through this with Peanut but I'm happy that he seems unaffected so far. Those X-rays are impressive. Just want to send healing thoughts and prayers and hoping that someone has an answer for you and that beautiful Ekkie.

Newbie GCC

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Heather
Hope they find out what is going on and Peanut gets on the road to recovery! Hugs, prayer, good thoughts and well wishes coming your way!

EkkieLuv

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Leslie
Thanks again, everybody. We are on day 12 of the 4-week course of meds. He's getting wise to my tricks. LOL Wouldn't come out of his cage last night for me. Had to bribe him with a pistachio. He hates being toweled, hates the little syringes and is too smart for all the sneaky ways we've tried in the past (hiding it in bread, etc). He had a sinus infection once and we ended up with bright pink medicine on ceilings and walls, he slung it far and wide. LOL

Spoke with our vet last night. She took Peanut's case to their staff meeting and microbacteria was brought up so that is now a consideration on the table. When we go back in a couple weeks to follow up after meds, they'll send blood to test for that. Here's a silly pic of my 3 boys. Peanut is the one in the front. He tries to eat the other two! :)

my boys.jpg