• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Pictures Vets are stumped

Tiel Feathers

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Deanna
:sadhug2::sadhug2::sadhug2:

EkkieLuv

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Leslie
Finally got a copy of the latest xrays.... there are no words. But on a good note, he's eating well and pooping, etc. Got his new meds started last night. The veterinary pharmacy that compounds them now (some law passed about restricting vet offices from doing it themselves now??) flavored everything grape, which was the closest they had to pomegranate so hoping that helps him get them down!

Attachments

Hankmacaw

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Mary Lynn Skinner
It's very good that he is eating and pooping so well. The xrays are amazing - never seen anything like them, but I've said that before.

Give Peanut a kiss for me.

Tiel Feathers

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Deanna
I'm glad he seems to be feeling more comfortable. Peanut is a fighter!

EkkieLuv

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Leslie
Hey everybody. Thought I'd give a Peanut update. He's hating getting meds as usual but feeling well enough to fight me on it so I'll take it. We moved his cage bottom back down part way since he's stronger and to encourage him to move around. I was getting worried about his feet. Still have it padded though, just in case.

He has lost weight - down from 504 to 470g - this was before/after they drained the fluid off but I don't like the keel bone feeling. It's a big concern. He is eating like a pig and Dr. Chen said just give him whatever he wants at this point to get some weight back on.

Nothing else to report, really. I think the meds are at least keeping him comfortable. He has wanted to be out with us more and doesn't tire out quite as fast as he was. All good things except the weight.

Talked with Dr. Chen some about the eventual necropsy and she volunteered her services for it, which is a blessing. She has been working with a pathologist in Washington State and offered to look for funding to help with the testing, etc. I hope she find some because as much as I want as much to be done as possible, we just can't afford to throw more money at it. Wishing there was a research department somewhere that was interested!! If anybody has any ideas, let me know!

Kinda blurry but here's P munching on a carrot the other day. He loves being a taste tester in the kitchen!

20170202_185703.jpg

Chopper

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Mary lynn Snowman
Aww, I'm glad he seems to be feeling better.

Robin8888

Sprinting down the street
Real Name
Robin
So glad to hear Peanut is doing better. Still sending good thoughts.
You are a great birdie mom. :angelic:

SamandWilley

Walking the driveway
Real Name
DeAnna
He looks great! Glad he is feeling better and eating. Hang in there.

HawkEagle

Sprinting down the street
Real Name
Paulina
Aw, Peanut is such an adorable boy :) Glad he's better now

metalstitcher

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Rhiana
Just wondering how has he been doing?

Hankmacaw

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Mary Lynn Skinner
Hi Leslie - just wanting to know how things are going at your house.

EkkieLuv

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Leslie
Hey guys - thanks for checking on us. Things are about the same. He seems to feel better some days than others. We're off of 2 of the 4 meds so that eases things greatly! Hoping his poops stay normal so we can stay off of the famotidine (for gastric ulcers - was a "just in case" course). He has wanted out of his house more so I think that's a great thing! We're just spoiling him rotten and he's eating as many sugar snap peas as he wants and gets extra favorites. His weight was 478 last night which is about the same and he needs to put some on. His keel is still very sharp feeling and I'm worried about that. Overall just praying he continues to feel ok but at the same time we're both on edge anticipating another scary decline!

iamwhoiam

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Thanks for the update. Good that he is off some meds and has shown some improvement.

EkkieLuv

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Leslie
It has been a couple weeks since I updated y'all. P has been hanging in there but the last few days has been extra clingy and not eating much at all. Andy has the closest bond with him so I've sat back somewhat and let him say when it's time. He made that decision today. His biggest fear is Peanut suffering and it's obvious that he is really not feeling well now, even with the meds. I can't get out of work today or tomorrow so our amazing Dr. Chen is going in on Saturday just for us. She cares so much about P and this case and has just been wonderful. We know P has been in the best hands and will continue to be as they study this crazy horrible mystery that is taking him from us.

I just wanted to let you guys know the latest and that we'd really appreciate everyone's thoughts over the next few days and as we say goodbye Saturday morning at 11am. I can't tell you how much everyone's notes and support have meant to us through all of this! I truly hope we'll have answers eventually and promise to post whatever info I get. I hope it helps someone else down the road!

Chopper

Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Mary lynn Snowman
I am so sorry. :sadhug2::sadhug2::sadhug2:

:sad7:

Macawnutz

Seriously Nutz!
Super Administrator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Sarah
It is okay, you have done everything you can do.

Hankmacaw

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Mary Lynn Skinner
I'ts so very hard to let them go, but I think each of us knows when that time comes. My deepest sympathy to your husband and you.

Peanut, go fly high and free. You will be perfect with no illness nor pain. Give your Mom and Dad a fly by now and then - they will need it.

expressmailtome

Ripping up the road
Administrator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Matthew
I am so sorry.