• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Pictures Vets are stumped

Chopper

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Mary lynn Snowman
I have learned that you always know when the time is right. You think you won't know but then it comes and goes you realize that it was the right time.

I'm sorry you are so stressed.

iamwhoiam

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
So sorry about Peanut.

jmfleish

Cruising the avenue
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Jen
I read most of your story a while back and was going to post but never got to it and then just read the updates. My Cooper SIE was diagnosed with a weird growth in his lower abdomen five years ago last June. They tried to do a biopsy but couldn't get anything. We decided to do surgery to see if it could be removed or at least biopsied in surgery but it was far to vascular to even do a biopsy on. Rather than try to do anything with it and risk losing him, I said just leave it, so, to this day, I have no idea what it is. I thought for sure we would only have a few more months with Cooper, maybe a year. He's still with us and seems happy and healthy! So, you just never know!

Hankmacaw

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Mary Lynn Skinner
Thanks for giving us an update on Peanut. His current xrays most certainly have heavier calcification. What in the world causes that? Glad that he is still feeling pretty good. That's a blessing for you and your husband.

I know it's silly to say, but try not to stress and enjoy him every minute. I try not to stress with Jasper.

EkkieLuv

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Leslie
Thanks guys. I do my best not to stress outwardly. I know they are so perceptive! Can't help but worry, though. And we've done all the testing we're going to do for the most part. We'll keep an eye on his bloodwork but there won't be any more surgeries/biopsies. We know we can't fix his liver and with no new ideas to go on we're just in a holding pattern of keeping him as happy and pain-free as possible.

Thanks for giving us an update on Peanut. His current xrays most certainly have heavier calcification. What in the world causes that? Glad that he is still feeling pretty good. That's a blessing for you and your husband.

I know it's silly to say, but try not to stress and enjoy him every minute. I try not to stress with Jasper.
I wish to God I knew what causes this craziness. I've researched until I'm cross-eyed, have read everything I can find from ancient avian medicine journals to the most recent studies from every angle I can think of. I don't logically think I'm going to come up with anything a dozen vets haven't thought of but I tried... We'll just keep enjoying the time we have.

Thanks for the support!

Tiel Feathers

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Deanna
I'm sorry you and Peanut are going through this. I hope he feels fine for a very long while.
:sadhug2:

metalstitcher

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Rhiana
Sending you and Peanut a huge hug :hug8:

I know it has to be stressful for you and your husband because he is your baby and keeping your feelings hidden is hard. I will be keeping you in my thoughts.

DQTimnehs

Ri-DQ-lously crazy 4 TAGs!
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Jennifer
Sorry to read about Peanut! I'm glad he doesn't seem in distress. Hopefully it is something he can be cured of or live with comfortably. :hug8:

EkkieLuv

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Leslie
Has anyone ever experienced their bird having a crackling noise when they breathe? I've heard it before when P had been flying but now it is audible at rest. He's been on a long course of both Baytril and Azithromycin so it's hard to imagine an infection.... but everything else about him is so weird right now I wouldn't rule it out. He's due for a follow up pretty soon anyway and I'll email Dr. Chen tomorrow but just wondered if anybody out there knows anything.

enigma731

Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
My bird with a history of rhinoliths makes all kinds of weird breathing noises due to the damage to his sinuses. Can you determine whether it's a sinus noise or a lung noise?

EkkieLuv

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Leslie
Doesn't seem to come from his sinuses.

enigma731

Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
I wonder if it might have to do with the calcification affecting his air sacs? I'd definitely check with the vet.

Robin8888

Sprinting down the street
Real Name
Robin
I am new on here so just seeing this post & reading most of the comments.
I am so sorry. Sending good thoughts for Peanut & your family.
:angel1:

Hankmacaw

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Mary Lynn Skinner
@metalstitcher When my birds had Asper and various other severe lung infections they would both crackle while breathing. It was due to congestion in their lungs.

It's really hard to say what is causing the problem with Peanut and his unusual mineralization issue. Perhaps nebulization would help him.

EkkieLuv

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Leslie
Dr. Chen thinks it may be fluid buildup in his belly again - called ascites, caused by his liver failure. Today his breathing is more shallow, like it was before when there was fluid, but the crackle noise is much fainter. Either way, she is seeing him tomorrow afternoon. In the meantime he just chowed down on some Unpellet mix from Phoenix Foraging... his appetite has certainly not suffered any. :) I'll let y'all know what the outcome is tomorrow.

expressmailtome

Ripping up the road
Administrator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Matthew
Best of luck tomorrow.