• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Vendor Etiquette?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Leanna

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Leanna B
Honestly the new pellets worry me the most. I'm worried that she used commercial artificial dyes meant for human consumption. There are certain dyes that are toxic to small animals and birds but are safe for humans.

Nikomania

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
hmmm. Aren't 'proofers' for baking breads? They don't cut and process out pellets!
She's full of it.

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
It's possible she is using the same kind of machine that TOPS does since they have a similar appearance and she says cold pressed.

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
hmmm. Aren't 'proofers' for baking breads? They don't cut and process out pellets!
She's full of it.

Yeah I'm not sure what kind of machine it is :/

Peachfaced

The Peachy Inkpress
JOLLY-PATROLLY
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Sadie
Honestly the new pellets worry me the most. I'm worried that she used commercial artificial dyes meant for human consumption. There are certain dyes that are toxic to small animals and birds but are safe for humans.
She mentioned the color in her post: "The Very Berry are purple because there are real strawberries, beets, blueberries, raspberries and blackberries mixed in them!"

I am dubious about the proofer. When I worked in a restaurant, we had a proofer. All it did was provide a warm, humid environment to encourage the bread to rise. Then we baked it after it reached the desired size.

Nikomania

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
She mentioned the color in her post: "The Very Berry are purple because there are real strawberries, beets, blueberries, raspberries and blackberries mixed in them!"

I am dubious about the proofer. When I worked in a restaurant, we had a proofer. All it did was provide a warm, humid environment to encourage the bread to rise. Then we baked it after it reached the desired size.

Exactly!

Love My Zons

Cruising the avenue
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Claire
She's full of it.
Yes, I had to Google what a proofer was. And all I could see between retail and commercial is they are used in bakeries.

So she's baking now, and making pellets. I do not see how these machines can cut or chop them up.

Unless she is using bulk pellets and adding colors and then baking them again.

They look too much like Roudybush IMO.

hrafn

Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Cold-press pellet machines exist for making wood pellets; that's the only machine I can think of that works as she explained it, but they're not intended for food and they certainly don't proof dough. There are also similar-looking machines made for processing grain into feed pellets for livestock, but they don't involve cold pressing. They're not small or inexpensive, either; they're industrial monstrosities.

ETA: I found a "miniature" feed pellet machine, which is about the size of a person, but it still doesn't involve cold-pressing.

pellet machines.png

Last edited:

rocky'smom

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
laurie
Where the HE double hockey sticks is she getting all money for all this^^^ " fancy" ^^^hardware?:jawdrop1::shy::jawdrop1:

Love My Zons

Cruising the avenue
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Claire
Cold-press pellet machines exist for making wood pellets; that's the only machine I can think of that works as she explained it, but they're not intended for food and they certainly don't proof dough. There are also similar-looking machines made for processing grain into feed pellets for livestock, but they don't involve cold pressing. They're not small or inexpensive, either; they're industrial monstrosities.

ETA: I found a "miniature" feed pellet machine, which is about the size of a person, but it still doesn't involve cold-pressing.

View attachment 316693
If there is no such thing, then because she can't keep up with this, she's using other pellets that aren't hers I would assume.

Feed Pellet Mill For Sale Low Price,Feed Pellet Making Machine

Knowing her, she probably scammed a farmer out of one.

Last edited:

rocky'smom

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
laurie
Here's another about making pellets, all the food that is put through a pellet making machine has to be ground up in something like hammer mill and them babies AIN'T cheap. Neither is pellet making machine cheap either. She buying something pellet wise and adding good Lord knows WHATEVER to it drying it out and passing off as her own creation.

Brittany0208

Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
The fact that this jacka** is still a relevant issue, ticks me off. There's a special place in the darkest pits of H E L L for this a**hole!

rocky'smom

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
laurie
Ok just talked to uncle, he belongs to local CO-OP feed and seed. The CO-OP just bought USED hammer mill, over $20,000 for small grain, such as oats, winter peas, barley. This doesn't include the filtration system for the dust, that is additional $10,000. This used equipment not new. They don't pelletize their foods but he said that the pictures I sent him looks like either rat pellets or bunny pellets.

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
This is her response on FB

I've gotten a few more questions about our new and improved Better Bites, so in everyone's interest I will again answer them here for all to see.

How are we making our Bites now? Well, we've employed the use of a large machine. This machine has two parts and I'll do my best to explain them!

The first part is called a "proofer" and it conditions the dry grains and ingredients we add to it. It applies steam to condition the dough, which then moves to the cold press pelleter which uses pressure to form the Bites and a blade that cuts them.

It is the same type of machine that other bird food companies use unless their pellets are extruded, which is a much different process.

Pellet machines are available for feed, grass, or wood depending on the type you purchase. We purchased a high end model made with food safe stainless steel and intended only for feed.

Our recipe is the same. The only differences are that we now add a very small amount of citric acid (an all natural preservative to maintain freshness, and prevent spoilage) and less liquid. The result is a firm, but not hard, shelf stable and delicious Better Bite made with Better ingredients than some of the other guys!

To dispel another myth that I saw, no we are not just using a competitor pellet and coloring it. First of all, if you add moisture to a formed pellet it will no longer keep its shape. Secondly, every other pellet out there uses either corn, soy, or alfalfa and we use none of those!

Not to mention this would actually be immoral and illegal!! And, a last note on this...buying another brand, coloring it, and redrying or rebaking would kind of negate the faster processing, wouldn't it? Plus, pellet recipes are proprietary remember!

Yes, our Bites are no longer baked. They are now cold pressed, meaning very little heat is used. Instead they are formed under pressure and as a result, all nutrients are maintained!

All pellets through any type of pellet machine are going to look very similar. What makes them stand apart are their Ingredients.

Status
Not open for further replies.