• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Vendor Etiquette?

Status
Not open for further replies.

rocky'smom

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
laurie
I don't think I would be comfortable with doing this kind of thing- I don't have any solid proof, at least nothing that would hold up in court. It's all anecdotal for me. Even my vet, we share the same opinion (that it was WD that started all this with Chirp) but we aren't able to prove it for sure.
@taxidermynerd Bee if we do this we may need whatever food you have stored to test, we plan to have the food tested, I believe ,before we do the video. If I'm wrong somebody let me know?

Karen

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
I don’t have anything to offer by way of pictures or packages. When I saw the basement pictures on her Facebook and the pictures of the Walmart non-organic peanut butter powder on the work counter everything I had went in the garbage.

I can be supportive by joining in the group endeavor to have food tested.

Beasley

Rollerblading along the road
Real Name
Maggie Beasley
I think what we’re looking for is your raw, unedited video footage for customer testimonial videos. @finchly has editing software. You simply explain your experiences with WD/MM and WD products, if you have the product, if your bird survived, then show it/them to the camera. If you have medical records and photos of the damage, you may wish to have that on hand to review during your testimonial video. If you have any recent pre-WD vet records use those to help make your point that you and your bird’s doctors have concluded WD is the deduced cause of your bird’s illness and or death.

Remember these are customer review videos not expert witness testimony given in a court of law. You are not speaking as a scientific or medical expert, you are speaking as a concerned citizen and customer and sharing your experiences as such. This is legal and expected customer behavior (see amazon, yelp, google, etc. reviews) we are going to extraordinary lengths to share this as appropriately posted reviews are deleted by WD. This is a PSA. Stay focused and speak your truth.

Leanna

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Leanna B
I would wait till you have the proof of the test results and include those in the video. It will serve as a stronger deterrent to warn people away.

Is her food completely sealed at least in shrink wrap or something? I can't remember but if it is, that's how it should be given to the lab. All labs will require multiple different samples of things for testing.

From a scientific perspective, nutritional testing is where I would go. It's the most readily accessible to the consumer and the most straight forward. If she's lying about ingredients, the lab will be able to tell you. Some tests are more straight forward than others. Probably the easiest will be known allergen tests like nuts, wheat and certain food dyes.

For example, if she says something is wheat free but it's actually a primary ingredient, the lab can prove that easily. There are guidelines for exposure levels vs ingredient levels with these things.

Hawk12237

Biking along the boulevard
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Michael
OK.
If you have a bird that has been made ill or died through the use of these products, please make a video. Include your bird! (If possible) and yourself. If you don't want to be on-camera we can blur out your face. If you have the product packaging please show it, otherwise name it.
If your vet is involved, share that information. If you just had spoiled food, at least share the name of it and a photo. And the date if you know, or at least "July 2019".
Don't worry about bloopers in videos, just start over; I can even cut those out (sometimes I start over with the camera still rolling). Be as specific as you can.

@taxidermynerd
@Mockinbirdiva
@Hawk12237
@Mizzely
@Karen
@EkkieLu

Who have I missed?

Yes. "If you meet the requirements for a civil action, you can sue someone for defamation, whether libel or slander, if they have written or said something bad about you. However, you must be able to prove the necessary elements of a defamation suit if you wish to collect damages."

In other words -- SHE has to prove we were slandering or whatever. That we were making false accusations. That's why we need the testing and the vet's reports.

Remember too, the vet has to specifically state in report that without a doubt in vets mind the illness came from those products of WD's.

Love My Zons

Cruising the avenue
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Claire
Remember too, the vet has to specifically state in report that without a doubt in vets mind the illness came from those products of WD's.
Should be a no brainer if molds and or aflatoxins are present in the samplings. Many bacterial and fungal infections can be caused by these.

It would be very interesting to find out the sugar content, fats from oils etc.

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
Most vets will not say it was without a doubt the food without solid evidence of such. Bloodwork helps, but it's still guessing if they don't have matching bacteria, etc from both the bird as well as unopened, properly stored product.

JoJo&Loki

Real Name
Kelly
Most of the food I have (chop, medley)is in the zip-loc type bags. The Better Balls are in a tub, but no wrap around the top. I’m not sure if there’s anything under the lid as I haven’t opened it. I have a feeling that’s not the case though... if so, the lab may not even want that because how can I prove I didn’t open it if I’m telling them it was sent to me without any shrink wrap?! The mealworms came in a paper bag with a window...but it’s sealed at least. I doubt they would provide much info for testing as their only dried mealworms. Or at least that’s what they’re supposed to be...

Regarding the testing... can anyone point me to some places I can start calling? I’d love to get the ball rolling on this ASAP, as stated we need these results before we can proceed with the rest. I’m in Pittsburgh- Monday I will call the Universities here to see if I can luck out and find something local. However, as we know this may be expensive so if we find a good place anywhere in the US I’ll gather all our samples and send them. If you have unopened products you’re willing to send please pm me. I’ll start a list of what we have and we’ll narrow it down from there!

If anyone has any ideas at all of labs that will work for this, please let me know! I’ve never done anything like this before, so all suggestions are appreciated :highfive:

Attachments

JoJo&Loki

Real Name
Kelly
If anyone is interested, my White Elephant contribution can be an unopened and still sealed bag of 100% Organic, Non-GMO carrot pasta wheels and treats :) Comes with receipt regarding date of purchase.

View attachment 316603

I forgot about it in my cool, dark cupboard.
Forgot to add...no need to ask if I want this one. You know I do! :lol:

rocky'smom

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
laurie
anyone point me to some places I can start calling? I’d love to get the ball rolling on this ASAP, as stated we need these results before we can proceed with the rest
My suggestion is this, call universities, any place that has chemistry labs that is willing to look at this ,trash

JoJo&Loki

Real Name
Kelly
Here’s what I have that’s unopened:

Ultimate Herb Medley
Bountiful Bouquet Chop
Sunsational Chop
Better Balls Combo
Lentil Sprouts
Minestrone
Mixed Berry Live Oats
Fiesta Corn Bread mini muffins
Tropical Mash Mix
Ethically farmed Dried Mealworms
Herb Salad (this has absolutely NO label stating what it is)
PB &J Mash Mix (please note I obviously have the 100%organic version received in July before the sh*t hit the fan!!) :rofl:

I’m still angry at myself for opening all that I did or I would’ve had- Daily Advantage Shaker (never even used but I just HAD to smell it) :bash:

5 other bags of chop- one of which (Little Beaks Autumn Blend) smells and looks NOTHING like the sample I received with my 1st order. My birds loved the sample but wouldn’t touch the full size bag. (Blessing in disguise!!) I know “homemade” chops differ a bit with different batches but the sample was mostly brown and smelled like cinnamon while the full size looks just like the Wintergreen AND smells like mint as well! Someone said they had a chop that smelled like the mint in those seasoning mixes, that is what this smells like too.
Soo many bags of sprout mixes as well! I was actually contemplating still sprouting them when this first started but I couldn’t bring myself to do it. Not to mention the Little Bird Blend did have a bug in it but since it was open I can’t say for sure it came with it...although I’m pretty OCD about food storage and double fold all bags and then seal with chip clip every single time. Oh well, at least I can throw away all the opened junk now and know that we’re putting the rest to good use.

This is for all the Happy Wings Sanctuary babies, for Poppers, for Chirp, for Sergei, for @finchly babies and all the others who have suffered! :heart:

JoJo&Loki

Real Name
Kelly
Also, if you can please let me know the date you purchased (or should it be date shipped?)
I’ll document this info for all the items we submit. It will be interesting to see if there’s a difference between items sent before and after the move. For example, I have the PB & J mash sent in July before the Walmart powdered peanut butter was called out...anyone have a newer one?
This could also be helpful in figuring out if a certain item(s) caused the bacterial infections... if they were indeed caused by this food of course :angel3:

rocky'smom

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
laurie
Just my thoughts here for @JoJo&Loki
Date order
Date shipped
Date received
How purchaser store items
Is this item sealed
Has the seal been broken
Did their bird get sick
Veterinarian used
If so is there anything they would be willing to share information
Symptoms of illness
Diagnose by veterinarian
Ingredient list
Store by date
Instructions how make
Minimum ratios
Analysis of food

Ok that's a lot information to pick and choose from

Peachfaced

The Peachy Inkpress
JOLLY-PATROLLY
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Sadie
Oh-ho! I just looked at the FB page. Did you know they were rolling better bites by hand previously? Now they've changed their system. (Doesn't say to what)

All who believe they were rolling dough by hand, you owe me your favorite bird. PM for the address; you can HAND deliver.

Otherwise, take a look at those better bite log things and tell me what food they are? Rabbit pellets? Dry dog food?

View attachment 316570
I do find it a bit ironic that they're an alternative to pellets, and yet now they are absolutely pellets now. Why do you think big companies make them shaped like that? Oh, yeah, because hand rolling and cutting just isn't going to get your product out fast.

Screenshot_20191005-144253_Facebook.jpg
Screenshot_20191005-144313_Facebook.jpg
Screenshot_20191005-143235_Facebook.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.