• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

TBD Cause of 11 Bird Deaths

Status
Not open for further replies.

rocky'smom

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
laurie
Here is the post from the Rescue, same toxicology report

This is what we have so far. What you'll see below are all of the answers we have, a full detailed checklist of events from that night, a short 2 minute video showing location of where birds were who lived and died, histology and food results.

Attached is a histo and a video
to support my case that the deaths of 11 birds (10 in under an hour, an 11th five hours later.) is not an aerosolized toxin. We are looking for more avenues to pursue to discover what happened that night. We do have an additional bird preserved in formalin with Dr. Derek Nolan at Cedar Creek Veterinary to run another histo on. If there is something we can test in the home to swab for toxins, sort of like the food broad spectrum tests – please advise.

History:

We run a parrot rescue in our home. On the evening of Jan 1, 2018 we fed a mix of zupreem fruit flavored pellets, lefeber’s nutriberries and Higgin’s Vitaseed Parrot to all birds in the rescue with the exception of 5 birds. Oki (Hyacinth Macaw) eats Macadamia Nuts, Flipp (Rainbow Lorikeet) eats nectar mixed with water, Chicken (Moluccan Cockatoo) and Sweetie (Military Macaw) got last batch food. All 4 of those birds survived.

Air:
The fire department came immediately and tested the air – no carbon monoxide or air toxins were determined. All birds were offered the same water, including the Lorikeet who’s food was mixed with the water.

We were not running any new heating, no new lightbulbs, no cleaning agents – the only thing we clean with and only if necessary is white vinegar. Otherwise we use water only and steam to clean. There were no new devices or machinery to emit toxic fumes. We have a radiant heat system that does not include vents throughout the entire house – read – there’s no air being pushed from one room to another. A new boiler system with a new ventilation system was installed over one month prior with no issues. Water runs through the radiators. We keep the home at a solid 70 degrees. We run Austin Air Pet model Air Purifiers.

Food:
The Zupreem and Nutriberries were purchased as two 12lb bags from Pet Supplies Plus in Kalamazoo on Friday. I removed the remaining food in our plastic, Rubbermaid bin and set it aside for use in quarantine. I do not mix batches of food. I added the Zupreem and Nutriberries on Friday and that was fed Friday, Saturday, Sunday.

On Sunday, my Amazon order of Higgins Vitaseed Parrot arrived, and I dumped that on top of the food in the bin. It was NOT mixed well, and I fed off the top of the seed Sunday.

On Monday, just before feeding, my husband picked the bin up and mixed it very well for me (it’s too heavy for me to pick up) and then we transferred the days ration to a large stainless steel bowl for distribution.

Due to a busy holiday schedule, no fresh fruits or vegetables had been given from Christmas Day to New Years Day.

We fed between 5-6pm on the evening of the 1st. Each bird got the above listed mix of food. We had mixed it really well prior to feeding.

Symptoms:
Symptoms were birds looked drunk, were wobbling, vomiting, seizures and then death. The surviving Nanday conure, Male eclectus from the aviary, and Blue Front Amazon from the aviary took about 48 hours to recover from the symptoms.

Birds fed between 5-6, first bird dies at approximately 10:10pm. Nine more pass by 11pm. The final, the nanday conure passed around 3:50am.

We have the rescue set up in 4 rooms. (See video)

In the aviary with closed doors and no vents/air return – we lost 7, 3 survived.

In that room:

Lived:
Blue Front Amazon (Symptoms)
Male Eclectus (Symptoms)
Lilac Crowned Amazon (Symptoms)

Died: (all these birds died within about 10 minutes)
Blue and Gold Macaw
Catalina Macaw
Miligold Macaw
Lesser Sulphur Crested Cockatoo
Moluccan Cockatoo
Yellow Nape Amazon
Yellow Nape Amazon

In the next room over – the Living Room, through closed doors 5 birds were housed, 2 died:

Lived:
Blue and Gold Macaw - No Symptoms(caged with Greenwing Macaw who died – Always eats after the Greenwing has his fill)
Hyacinth Macaw- No Sumptoms (Didn’t eat this food.)
Scarlet Macaw- No Symptoms(Picky Eater)

Died:
Greenwing Macaw – Died first
Harlequin Macaw (caged between two who lived) – Died after the aviary birds, exhibited symptoms longer. Is known to gobble his food.

Through the foyer and into the Dining room and through closed French doors, 10 birds were housed, 2 died, some of the living showed symptoms.

Caged Independently:
Lived:
Male Eclectus- Symptoms
Congo African Grey-No Symptoms
Jardine’s Parrot -No Symptoms
White Bellied Caique – No Symptoms – didn’t eat that food, was offered but had filled up from human food off my plate
Rainbow Lorikeet - No Symptoms (Didn’t eat this food. Ate nectar that night)

Caged together in 6x6x4 Large Oak Aviary surrounded in glass
Lived:
Quaker Parrot – No Symptoms
Blue Crown Conure – No Symptoms
Black Cap Conure – No Symptoms
Sunday Conure – No Symptoms
Nanday Conure – Most seriously ill of all birds – survived.

Died:
White Eyed Conure - Died second
Nanday Conure

Through the kitchen to the back of the house, there were an additional 2 birds housed in our Quarantine area. Neither were offered this food, and both survived.

Moluccan Cockatoo (No Symptoms)
Military Macaw (No Symptoms)

HISTO ON BIRD:

Case No.: G18-0045 Obtained: NA, rec'd 01/04/18
Reported: 01/09/18

Dr. Derek Nolan Patient ID: Umbrella Cockatoo
(“Rosie” Birds & Beak Rescue & Rehab)
Cedar Creek Veterinary Clinic Account #: MI 422G

HISTORY: This male umbrella cockatoo is from a bird rescue facility. Approximately five hours after evening feeding, birds became ill, and eleven birds died within an 11-hour timeframe. Not all of the birds were housed together. Air and water quality testing was within normal limits. Food was new, some of which was donated.

CLINICAL DIAGNOSIS: Open.

GROSS: Received in formalin are 19 tissues to 8 cm. in greatest dimension that are processed in seven blocks.

MICROSCOPIC: Lung: The parenchyma has congestion, marked hemorrhage, some edema, and varying degrees of atelectasis. Hemorrhage extends into the air sacs and between the fascial planes of the syringeal muscles. Blood vessels: Mural vessels of the heart have mild arteriosclerosis. Heart: The heart has numerous petechiae throughout the myocardium. Kidney: Mild tubular necrosis is noted. Brain: The white matter tracts of the cerebellum have mild perivascular hemorrhage and myelinic edema. Skeletal muscle: Acute moderate rhabdomyolysis is noted. The following tissues are histologically within normal limits: intestine, pancreas, liver, proventriculus, ventriculus, ganglia, great vessels, and adipose.

HISTOPATHOLOGIC DIAGNOSIS: 1. Acute pulmonary congestion, hemorrhage, edema, and atelectasis.
2. Petechiae, heart.
3. Acute renal tubular necrosis.
4. Acute rhabdomyolysis.
5. Mild perivascular hemorrhage and myelinic edema, white matter tracts of cerebellum.

COMMENT: Histologic findings are consistent with acute intoxication but are otherwise not particularly specific. Principal differentials include exposure to an aerosolized toxin or possible exposure to an ingested toxin, such as an organophosphate or organochlorine. Some mild arteriosclerosis was the only underlying chronic lesion and was considered incidental. This bird was in excellent nutritional status at the time of death.
View attachment 265643

View attachment 265644
note what dr Zzz I

Garet

Rollerblading along the road
Real Name
Garet

4 birds, and only the 4 birds that ate the same food were affected. Shannon (11 bird rescue) called Tanya (one of our own members who has a rescue) to let her know what happened and Tanya said that Shannon described exactly how her own had died just prior.

So yes coincidence, maybe, but seems weird that both are rescues where you would think they would be very aware of airborne toxins had the exact same symptoms upon death.

I don't know that it means its the food. But it's interesting and makes it harder for me side with any theory.
If it had been something in the food, though, it would still not have killed 4 birds in one day, especially not right after eating it the contaminated food, though.

Weren't most of Shannon's birds who passed away littles? They're often more sensitive to airborne toxins. I'm not saying that Shannon did something or that her family deliberately killed them, but I am saying that we can't always smell chemicals in the air. Someone off her property could have been doing something completely unaware that it was affecting the birds.

Last edited:

Garet

Real Name
Garet
I'm not sure what the walkthrough is supposed to prove? I doubt her windows and doors are airtight and hermetically sealed. Think about it; if someone's cooking in the kitchen with the door closed, you can smell it. If the doors kept out all air flow, and no fresh air would reach her birds if she has them shut.

Last edited:

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Banner Hoarder
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
If it had been something in the food, though, it would still not have killed 4 birds in one day, especially not right after eating it the contaminated food, though.

Weren't most of Shannon's birds who passed away littles? They're often more sensitive to airborne toxins. I'm not saying that Shannon did something or that her family deliberately killed them, but I am saying that we can't always smell chemicals in the air. Someone off her property could have been doing something completely unaware that it was affecting the birds.

No it was mostly large birds, amazons, macaws and cockatoos.

Symptoms:
Symptoms were birds looked drunk, were wobbling, vomiting, seizures and then death. The surviving Nanday conure, Male eclectus from the aviary, and Blue Front Amazon from the aviary took about 48 hours to recover from the symptoms.

Birds fed between 5-6, first bird dies at approximately 10:10pm. Nine more pass by 11pm. The final, the nanday conure passed around 3:50am.

We have the rescue set up in 4 rooms. (See video)

In the aviary with closed doors and no vents/air return – we lost 7, 3 survived.

In that room:

Lived:
Blue Front Amazon (Symptoms)
Male Eclectus (Symptoms)
Lilac Crowned Amazon (Symptoms)

Died: (all these birds died within about 10 minutes)
Blue and Gold Macaw
Catalina Macaw
Miligold Macaw
Lesser Sulphur Crested Cockatoo
Moluccan Cockatoo
Yellow Nape Amazon
Yellow Nape Amazon

In the next room over – the Living Room, through closed doors 5 birds were housed, 2 died:

Lived:
Blue and Gold Macaw - No Symptoms(caged with Greenwing Macaw who died – Always eats after the Greenwing has his fill)
Hyacinth Macaw- No Sumptoms (Didn’t eat this food.)
Scarlet Macaw- No Symptoms(Picky Eater)

Died:
Greenwing Macaw – Died first
Harlequin Macaw (caged between two who lived) – Died after the aviary birds, exhibited symptoms longer. Is known to gobble his food.

Through the foyer and into the Dining room and through closed French doors, 10 birds were housed, 2 died, some of the living showed symptoms.

Caged Independently:
Lived:
Male Eclectus- Symptoms
Congo African Grey-No Symptoms
Jardine’s Parrot -No Symptoms
White Bellied Caique – No Symptoms – didn’t eat that food, was offered but had filled up from human food off my plate
Rainbow Lorikeet - No Symptoms (Didn’t eat this food. Ate nectar that night)

Caged together in 6x6x4 Large Oak Aviary surrounded in glass
Lived:
Quaker Parrot – No Symptoms
Blue Crown Conure – No Symptoms
Black Cap Conure – No Symptoms
Sunday Conure – No Symptoms
Nanday Conure – Most seriously ill of all birds – survived.

Died:
White Eyed Conure - Died second
Nanday Conure

Through the kitchen to the back of the house, there were an additional 2 birds housed in our Quarantine area. Neither were offered this food, and both survived.

Moluccan Cockatoo (No Symptoms)
Military Macaw (No Symptoms)

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Banner Hoarder
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
Also how is it that ONLY the birds that ate the food died in BOTH cases. That's what I don't get. Its a heck of a coincidence.

Again, I don't know that it is the food. But with that information I see why Shannon is so sure that it is.

Last edited:

Garet

Real Name
Garet
Also how is it that ONLY the birds that ate the food died in BOTH cases. That's what I don't get. Its a heck of a coincidence.

Again, I don't know that it is the food. But with that information I see why Shannon is so sure that it is.
I stand corrected on their sizes, but I still don't think it was the food. Again, nothing was found on it and no home is air-tight. How did she know that some of the ones who didn't get sick didn't eat their food? Did she measure and weigh each scoop meticulously?

IE: The Blue and Gold who ate after their cagemate presumably ate from the same bowl and didn't show any symptoms, unlike her cagemate.
The Hyacinth may have eaten after she left, same with the caique and lorry and other birds she said didn't eat. Unless she took their food away, they had access all day, and birds don't only eat when people are watching.

Why did only one of the birds in the oak aviary get sick and not the others?

You have five asymptomatic birds who shared meals with birds that either died or became seriously ill. Even if they somehow ate all the pellets and left none for the other birds, the food they left could have been cross-contaminated or coated by crushed pellets from the bag.

Last edited:

camelotshadow

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Christine
Its tragic & needs to be looked into by the qualified personal with all the facts. None of us are qualified to be making conclusions but this needs to be resolved. I can see how emotions can be stirred but lets not be so hard on those that are just out to want to know & protect our birds.

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Banner Hoarder
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
From the rescue:

I'd like to reiterate again that it's ONLY two batch numbers of Zupreem that are under scrutiny.

10287 865309107 Use By: 3/31/19

09137 862908047 Use by: 2/28/19

JUST those two batches. Naturals are fine. Other batches are probably fine. JUST THOSE TWO BATCHES.

If your bird won't eat anthing else - get a different batch. That's all you need to do.

No need for hysteria. Just avoid THOSE batches.

And it's always good practice to keep your bag, even if you put it in another container until that bag of food has been completely consumed.

rocky'smom

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
laurie
What i heard is it can take 5 business days so be patience.

Theresa

AKA TMS
Administrator
Chief of Police
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award

4 birds, and only the 4 birds that ate the same food were affected. Shannon (11 bird rescue) called Tanya (one of our own members who has a rescue) to let her know what happened and Tanya said that Shannon described exactly how her own had died just prior.

So yes coincidence, maybe, but seems weird that both are rescues where you would think they would be very aware of airborne toxins had the exact same symptoms upon death.

I don't know that it means its the food. But it's interesting and makes it harder for me side with any theory.

3 died, one survived. That is also what keeps me wondering. Even if inhaled I wonder if it could have been the dust off the food, or off whatever was on the bags that they may have transferred to the food while mixing into their bins.

Garet

Real Name
Garet

3 died, one survived. That is also what keeps me wondering. Even if inhaled I wonder if it could have been the dust off the food, or off whatever was on the bags that they may have transferred to the food while mixing into their bins.
But there were also five birds who had direct access to the food dishes of two birds who were affected. (4 birds in an aviary with a fifth bird who became ill and nearly died, 1 with a cagemate who died). These five didn't show symptoms at all. If it was dust or something on the food, then they should have gotten sick as well.

Theresa

AKA TMS
Administrator
Chief of Police
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
But there were also five birds who had direct access to the food dishes of two birds who were affected. (4 birds in an aviary with a fifth bird who became ill and nearly died, 1 with a cagemate who died). These five didn't show symptoms at all. If it was dust or something on the food, then they should have gotten sick as well.

I can only speak to what happened at Tanya's house.

rocky'smom

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
laurie
That is different rescue @Garet. Shannon is at Bird and Beaks, Tanya is different rescue.

rocky'smom

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
laurie
So I have this clear there was 11 birds at Shannon's, 3 at Tanya's, how many possible birds across the USA????

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Banner Hoarder
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]

Thanks for clarifying. :hug4:

Status
Not open for further replies.