• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

TBD Cause of 11 Bird Deaths

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
I just don't like the Zupreem fruity and I'm still skeptical of it's part in the whole thing. If you think Zupreem fruity is fine, fine feed it to your birds - I wouldn't feed it to a dog (never have, never would) and I don't like dogs. But really and truly it is far past time to be banging on Shannon.

So far the fruity is all I can get Ripley to eat as far as pellets go :( So I'll probably tuck tail and buy some while I try to convince her other stuff is just as good. I'm willing to put my personal feelings aside if it makes her feel better quicker :heart:

Hankmacaw

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Mary Lynn Skinner
Mizzely - I'm not criticizing what anyone else does - others seem to be able to express their opinions so I expressed mine. I sometimes use stronger language than others. Especially when folks just continue to beat and beat and beat a dead horse.

Jasper eats Harrison's High potency. Harrison's Power Treats and she really likes Caitec oven bites and Veggie Nutriberries.

cassiesdad

Ripping up the road
Weather Authority
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Real Name
Bob Weisman

Clueless

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge

finchly

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Finchly
Just got back from a vet who I :heart: that made a big point about Zupreem being fine. He said yeah, it has some sugar and food coloring but it's one a lot of birds will eat, you can get it on the weekend, etc. It is a well rounded diet and has a lot of research behind it, was the gist of it. Sorry sick bird = can't quite remember the wording.

His favorite is Harrison's (which none of mine will eat), and approved of our using mostly Roudybush/TOPS but he was basically saying don't knock the zupreem.

TikiMyn

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Robin
Just got back from a vet who I :heart: that made a big point about Zupreem being fine. He said yeah, it has some sugar and food coloring but it's one a lot of birds will eat, you can get it on the weekend, etc. It is a well rounded diet and has a lot of research behind it, was the gist of it. Sorry sick bird = can't quite remember the wording.

His favorite is Harrison's (which none of mine will eat), and approved of our using mostly Roudybush/TOPS but he was basically saying don't knock the zupreem.
Oh no, hope your fid has nothing to serious going on! Who is the sick baby?

TheOddFlock

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Melissa
It could be years before the cause is found, maybe never.
Sad as it may be, nothing can be done about it, maybe they'll give up if nothing is found several times. Most people will forget about it over time, not many will care at that point.

That's all I've got to say.

rocky'smom

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
laurie
The Department of Agriculture has completed their investigation for the tragedy that occurred here on January 1, 2018. Unfortunately, they are at a stand still and have basically ended as "inconclusive" without more evidence.

This has been a long journey. 8 months. And obviously, my heart is broken that we will never know with certainty what the cause of the worst night of my life was.

But, I told you guys I'd tell you, and I'm telling you.

The good news is that the deaths that have been regularly reported to me have slowed way down to none.

What have we learned?

1) That when our birds pass away suddenly, a necropsy and histopathology are necessary.

2) Finding a substance without knowing what that substance is, is like looking for Jimmy Hoffa.

3) That people on the internet can be cruel and terrible. That it doesn't matter how much good you've done in the world, there are people who just want to tear you down.

4) That while the above is true, there's many, many more perfect strangers that are kind and good. And that's always what we should focus on.

5) It wasn't air, disease, water, or sickness that killed 5 macaws, 2 cockatoos, 2 amazons and 2 conures that night.

6) That I'm stronger than I ever knew.

7) Lines were drawn in the bird community, and I'm not really sure why that happened. All we ever asked for were for people to avoid 2 batches of food. Just 2.

8)Our rescue is strong and moving ahead. That hasn't changed, nor will it.

I am blessed to have so many of you as friends through this tragedy. That's the real silver lining here.

I appreciate every single one of you and your words of kindness.

And to Zupreem, we will never know what happened that night. I apologize for the bad press that resulted from our tragedy, and the words I wrote. I did what I thought was the right thing to try to save as many lives as I could. I cannot regret that decision to go public.

I am sorry for the vitriol that happened as a result of it though, towards you, your company and your products. I don't feel like it had to be this way. There were several things on both sides that happened that caused that part of this to ripple out of control. I am so very sorry for that.

At the end of the day, we both have the same goal: to protect the health and welfare of companion parrots. I don't think that has changed. I wish you the very best as you continue on, and hope you will accept my apology. It was never my intention to cause harm to a company, I simply wanted to save as many lives as humanly possible.

<3

Now. Let's get this year over with. 2019 for the win.
Ok I heard from Dr Tony this afternoon these are his words, 'just because the Dept of Agriculture had closed their case does NOT mean that FDA has closed their case or research on the possible food contamination.'
He is sad there was no conclusion, and feels bad for Shannon and her loss.

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
Mizzely - I'm not criticizing what anyone else does - others seem to be able to express their opinions so I expressed mine. I sometimes use stronger language than others. Especially when folks just continue to beat and beat and beat a dead horse.

Jasper eats Harrison's High potency. Harrison's Power Treats and she really likes Caitec oven bites and Veggie Nutriberries.

Sorry, wasn't thinking you were critcizing. More agreeing with you, but sadly putting aside my own issues with the food and company right now! :)

jimg

Checking out the neighborhood
Real Name
Jim Glidewell
So, it has been months and months since the die-off was first reported. As far as I know, there have been no other die-offs that can be attributed to any of the foods initially suspected, and there is zero direct evidence that any of the foods were contaminated. Is that correct?

I had no objection to the way the initial warning was distributed - there was a reasonable possibility that it was contaminated food. But at this point it seems pretty obvious to me that there was zero chance that this was a case of a widely distributed contaminated food issue. (Due to the lack of similar reports at other locations).

But it is near impossible to find anything anywhere on the web that states as much.

So I’ll state it here - as of November 2018, there is zero direct evidence that the bird die-off at Birds and Beaks rescue was caused by contaminated foods. Subsequent analysis of the food, as well as necropsies performed on the birds, do not indicate any clear evidence of food-borne toxins.

Corrections welcome.

Hankmacaw

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Mary Lynn Skinner
LOLOLOL - don't have any idea what your purpose is in this post, but you must surely realize that there is no PROOF that the cause wasn't food toxicity.

LunaLovebird

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
LOLOLOL - don't have any idea what your purpose is in this post, but you must surely realize that there is no PROOF that the cause wasn't food toxicity.
There’s no proof there isn’t an undetectable giant teapot orbiting Mars either, but it would be ridiculous to assume that it is true just because you can’t prove it isn’t. That’s just not how science works.

Hankmacaw

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Mary Lynn Skinner
@LunaLovebird - I would expect a much better analogy than that from you. Petty week, pretty week.

rocky'smom

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
laurie
Holy c#@▶, @jimg did you read through the entire thread? Just because the dept of ag has closed their case doesn't mean that FDA has closed, to my knowledge that case is still open.
Restarting this fuss and feathers, is NOT going help bird and beak rescue or Shannon or anybody else. The cause was listed as undetermined by dept of ag.

Status
Not open for further replies.