• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

TBD Cause of 11 Bird Deaths

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hjarta5

Rollerblading along the road
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Jennifer
My local bird rescue, Birds and Beaks (Battle Creek, MI) just posted the message below on its FB page and I wanted to share, because they have not yet received the results from what caused 11 deaths in their rescue on New Year's Day. You can also follow on FB for more developments, at This will likely be the most... - Birds And Beaks Rescue and Rehab | Facebook Be careful and love your feathered companions.

---

This will likely be the most heartbreaking post I ever write.

On the evening of January 1, 2018, we lost 11 birds. Most of the birds passed within about 30 minutes of each other, with the last one, a nanday conure not passing until around 4am.

We originally thought maybe carbon monoxide or something in the air, and began evacuation to the garage and called 911. The fire department tested both for carbon monoxide and noxious gases and our results were zero's across the board.

The next logical thought was food/water. We pulled all the food and water and put them on the counter.

The next morning, we took those birds to our veterinarian and had necropsies done for them. The initial things our doctor found were hearts were good, lungs were good, all seem to be in good health, except their stomachs were inflamed, there was a green sludge in their GI tracts and their livers were rock hard.

Gross necropsies were submitted by our vet for 2 birds to determine official cause of death with food toxicity being the suspicion.

There are another 3 birds that we are unsure if they will make it or not.

Today, January 3, 2018, I took the in-bowl samples of food to Michigan State University.

Before we go further, I want to make it clear I am not pointing fingers. There were 3 foods included in our mix, and thankfully we are fastidious - we have the packages that food came in so that batches can be pulled and we have contacted the companies. The foods are:

Zupreem Fruitblend, large size for macaws, cockatoos etc.
Higgins Vitaseed
Lefeber's Nutriberries

MSU is in receipt of 2lbs of the food that was in the bowls and we should have results back for WHAT the toxin is within 5-7 days.

We spoke with another Michigan Rescue to tell them what's going on, and they also experienced a die off in the last week of 3 birds. The foods they were feeding are Zupreem Fruit Flavored Blend and Higgins Vitaseed.

Our hearts are broken. In a million pieces. We are not ok. We will probably never be ok again.

I am happy to answer questions. What I don't want is mass hysteria. We are awaiting results back from the lab and necropsies - and all we can do is wait. What I'm concerned with is that birds are dying and unlike us - you guys usually have one or two birds. If something happens, you're thinking it's your fault. That you've done something wrong. You don't question the food because you trust it.

You need to have necropsies done. You need to save your food, your bags, and you need to get it tested.

We don't know which food it was at this point, and we're not pointing fingers. What I can tell you is that the companies are being very cooperative, helpful and working WITH us.

My personal opinion is that for now, if you are feeding any of those brands, please stop and feed fresh/frozen foods only until we have the results back for why this happened.

Please keep us in your thoughts. Our hearts are broken. We lost 11 family members. Watching my children try to give CPR to the birds we all love and care for in vain may be the worst thing I have ever witnessed, only second to walking into my aviary and seeing all but 3 of my birds in there gone.

Charlie
Max
Guido
Zook
Oliver
Rosie
Eddie
Cheech (M2, boarder)
Cheech (YN Amazon)
Chong
Pebbles

My loves. Rest in Heaven my angels.

My request to you - ask your questions here. Don't flood my inbox. When I have answers, you shall have answers. I'm an open book. I'll answer anything here in this thread. We are a by-the-book rescue. We don't cut corners. So ask away.

If you're negative - I just don't have any energy for you. I really don't. Be supportive or be gone.

Information about the food batches:
Zupreem, Large for macaws/cockatoos etc:
10287 865309107 Use By: 3/31/19
Zupreem, Large for macaws/cockatoos etc:
09137 862908047 Use by: 2/28/19
Higgin's Vita Seed Use By: 4/5/19
Lefeber's Tropical Fruit Nutriberries: Use By Batch: 122218B

Last edited:

Peachfaced

The Peachy Inkpress
JOLLY-PATROLLY
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Sadie
Oh, that is heartbreaking! I hope the lab can figure out what did it and hopefully no one else will get hurt. I can't imagine how they feel.

faislaq

I have macaws and don't post enough pictures
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Karen
This information is appreciated. I am not sure which batch Buzzard's remaining Fruity Zupreem was from; we dumped the last of the final bag into his Zupreem Naturals to help the transition initially & now they are just an occasional treat. I will pick them out until we find out if they are safe or not.

:sad4:I am so sorry to hear about the birds who passed, but at least this information may be able to save other birds.

Hjarta5

Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Jennifer
For anyone not on FB, I will also try to update this thread with developments. I am worried too about the Fruity Zupreem (cockatiel sized) that I feed my guys but I dont want to cause unnecessary hysteria as the lab tests havent come back yet.
I adopted Luna, my Senegal, at the end of September from this rescue and my heart breaks for all those beautiful souls who recently passed. They were so charming and quirky, and now knowing they suffered is heartbreaking :sorrow:

LilSprout

Jogging around the block
Real Name
Phil
Charlie used to eat Zupreem Fruity Blend, now he and Sawyer eat Zupreem natural. I'll be watching this thread for updates too

saroj12

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
saroj
Thank you. I opened a 3 lb. bag of tropical fruit nutriberries of the batch you posted over the weekend. Little Scooter is the main consumer. When I got back today from work he was gagging. He has digestive and liver issues to start with. I think he will be fine in a while. I’ve put that new bag away until I call lafebers tomorrow. Luckily I have a bag expiring Jan 2019 so i opened that.
Thank you for posting this.

Tiel Feathers

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Deanna
This is heartbreaking! :sad2: Thank you for posting this and updating us. I hope no other birds are effected.

SandraK

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Palm Coast, FL. Carioca'55 when RJ was in GB.
Real Name
Sandra
@Hjarta5 I believe Danita just posted about this too. What a horrible, horrible way to start the new year. Hoping the other 3 will be okay.

EllaMay

Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
April
This is so sad, thank you so much for posting.

sunnysmom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Michelle
How heartbreaking. :sad4:

Sarahmoluccan

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Sarah
Very scary and heartbreaking :sad1:

JosienBB

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Oh no, what a tragedy :(

My bag of Fruity Zupreem (cockatiel size) has an expiry date of 2/28/19, which is one of the dates specified by the post. What should I do??? Do I call Zupreem??? What do I even say? I've stopped feeding it already. I hope it doesn't take too long for the lab results to come back.

Hjarta5

Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Jennifer
Oh no, what a tragedy :(

My bag of Fruity Zupreem (cockatiel size) has an expiry date of 2/28/19, which is one of the dates specified by the post. What should I do??? Do I call Zupreem??? What do I even say? I've stopped feeding it already. I hope it doesn't take too long for the lab results to come back.
Hopefully other ppl will come and provide better advice, but in my opinion, I think that's all you can do for now. I'm at the end of a bag so I will finish it this week but put off the new bag until I hear back about the tests. Mine usually gets their pellets and nutriberries as a supplement to fresh and defrosted chop every morning, so I'll just put off the new bags of pellets for now.

Birdbabe

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
I just bought a bag of Zupreem fruity at petsmart..the tiny ones..it's in the freezer..08077
860806257..expires 12-31-18..I thought the experatin date was 12-31-19... it was kinda smeared..but when I really looked at..it was 2018
Now it'll be in the freezer till I find out..

Dartman

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Terry
Dobby eats fruity Zupreem and Nutri Berries but the expiration date on the berries is 06-16-18. The Zupreem we've had a while and we put it in a moth proof jar. He has been fine so far and sounds like his food is too old to be affected. I don't think we still have the Zupreem bag but like said he's been his normal self.

Macawnutz

Seriously Nutz!
Super Administrator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Sarah
If I fed either of the ones in question and had new bags I would refrain from feeding until the results come back. If it were a bag that I'd been feeding for a few weeks then I wouldn't be as concerned unless the lot numbers/expiration matched.

Just my .02 cents if I fed them.

Peachfaced

The Peachy Inkpress
JOLLY-PATROLLY
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Sadie
If I fed either of the ones in question and had new bags I would refrain from feeding until the results come back. If it were a bag that I'd been feeding for a few weeks then I wouldn't be as concerned unless the lot numbers/expiration matched.

Just my .02 cents if I fed them.
If it was a buildup over time, I doubt it would kill all of those birds out on the same day, right?

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Banner Hoarder
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
If it was a buildup over time, I doubt it would kill all of those birds out on the same day, right?

I would be extremely surprised if it did. Each would have their own metabolism, resistances, etc

Status
Not open for further replies.