• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here
  • This forum is for advice about initial treatment given to your injured/sick bird until a qualified avian veterinarian is available.
    THIS IS NOT MEANT TO REPLACE VET CARE

911 Remove leg or let it fall off naturally? -Geralt

Lady Jane

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Dianne
Can they make artificial legs for little birds?

camelotshadow

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Christine
Luckily a one legged bird can with a little extra management live a happy life!

Garet

Rollerblading along the road
Real Name
Garet

faislaq

I have macaws and don't post enough pictures
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Karen
Does he need it? :shrug3: He seems fine. I'd think he'd just pick at it.

Lady Jane

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Dianne
I did a few hours of reading on this subject.

I found that one legged birds get tired if perching or standing. One guy made a contraption to put the birds stump in
. This contraption was a fixed to a perch.

One vet
wrote that artificial legs for birds are rare because they are so incredibly adaptable and can usually manage well which is the case here.

SandraK

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Palm Coast, FL. Carioca'55 when RJ was in GB.
Real Name
Sandra
It might help him get about, but I have no idea? I mean, if it can help him in even the slightest way, I'd go for it.
If you have a 3d printer you could make something I'm sure, but yes he'll adapt like he already is and do fine.
My youngest son has a 3D thingy that can make plastic shapes up to a certain size ... just ask Gerault what colour leg/foot he'd like? :blink: ;) :think1:

Garet

Real Name
Garet
My youngest son has a 3D thingy that can make plastic shapes up to a certain size ... just ask Gerault what colour leg/foot he'd like? :blink: ;) :think1:
;; That'd be nice of you, but I wouldn't want to impose. I think there are places near me that will print stuff for a person, and it isn't that expensive.

Platform perches & placement close to food/water will help greATLY
I'm working on that. He's currently got his food on the ground near the 'hut' he likes to hide in, along with a water dish on the floor and one near his basket, which I fill always put a little seed in. My brother was supposed to help me make platforms before he left, but he ditched me for a party. :sour: They would have been done and installed already, but I gotta work on them on my own now, and I'm not exactly known for being handy with sharp objects.
He does have a few things, like a 'swing' (which is a toy for a much larger bird that has a platform he can stand on and rope he can hold onto to keep from falling), his basket, a wood and cloth hut, a ladder, and the large cardboard thing he likes to hide in, as it's tall, durable, and soft on his foot. Once the Fisher Price toys I have are dry, they're going in there, too. They're the ones made of non-toxic plastic that we used to race large toy cars down as kids and has a sort of dish/platform ontop where you put the cars.

Hotpockets

Strolling the yard
I'm sorry but this is the best thread. It's got drama, action, comedy and mystery (did the dog really get it or will it surprise Garet one day in his underwear drawer?!) All we need now is romance! :roflmao:

He's one tough little bugger and lucky to have you.:starshower1::yourock:

Last edited:

Peachfaced

The Peachy Inkpress
JOLLY-PATROLLY
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Sadie
...Tune in next week to find out in the next episode of All My Lovebirds!

faislaq

I have macaws and don't post enough pictures
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Karen
I'm sorry but this is the best thread. It's got drama, action, comedy and mystery (did the dog really get it or will it surprise Garet one day in his underwear drawer?!) All we need now is romance! :roflmao:

...Tune in next week to find out in the next episode of All My Lovebirds!
:popcorn2:

Garet

Real Name
Garet
Maybe little Hawke and Geralt will fall in birdie love?
Well, Hawke and Geralt HAVE been screaming their heads off at each other from across the house... But Geralt also shows off for Triss and Yen, so who knows what'll happen next?

did the dog really get it or will it surprise Garet one day in his underwear drawer?!
.... Oh god, wouldn't that be something? I'm fairly certain he did get it, though. He.... had a lil something caught in his beard before licking his chops. There IS a little Geralt... "trimmed" off while in his cage, though. Not looking forward to finding that tomorrow. :sad5:

SandraK

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Palm Coast, FL. Carioca'55 when RJ was in GB.
Real Name
Sandra
;; That'd be nice of you, but I wouldn't want to impose. I think there are places near me that will print stuff for a person, and it isn't that expensive.
I'm working on that. He's currently got his food on the ground near the 'hut' he likes to hide in, along with a water dish on the floor and one near his basket, which I fill always put a little seed in. My brother was supposed to help me make platforms before he left, but he ditched me for a party. :sour: They would have been done and installed already, but I gotta work on them on my own now, and I'm not exactly known for being handy with sharp objects.
He does have a few things, like a 'swing' (which is a toy for a much larger bird that has a platform he can stand on and rope he can hold onto to keep from falling), his basket, a wood and cloth hut, a ladder, and the large cardboard thing he likes to hide in, as it's tall, durable, and soft on his foot. Once the Fisher Price toys I have are dry, they're going in there, too. They're the ones made of non-toxic plastic that we used to race large toy cars down as kids and has a sort of dish/platform ontop where you put the cars.
I've used timothy grass mats and rigged them with zip ties as platforms or even ramps. Something like this - https://www.petsmart.com/small-pet/...-small-pet-timothy-mat-21629.html?cgid=600208. I've also used this type of mat on the floor of my tiels' flock cage as I have a couple of tiels with old leg/foot injuries - https://www.petsmart.com/small-pet/...en-grass-small-pet-mat-14518.html?cgid=600208.

Maybe also look into cork/wood perches - I know these vendors on AA carry them. Natural Wood Perches for Parrots and Birds from Things for Wings Natural Handcrafted Bird Perches in Canada! - Parrot Supplies l The Parrot Shop Pedicure & Platform - Perches & Play Gyms - Products

You can wrap vet wrap around them which will give Geralt a little more grip and fill in any spaces between bars on a platform perch. I was wondering if the non metallic wire netting would work if it were rigged as a ramp or platform.