• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here
  • This forum is for advice about initial treatment given to your injured/sick bird until a qualified avian veterinarian is available.
    THIS IS NOT MEANT TO REPLACE VET CARE

911 Remove leg or let it fall off naturally? -Geralt

TikiMyn

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Robin
Eeeek that Will be fun cleaning! But it’s good it has come of or not?

Garet

Rollerblading along the road
Real Name
Garet
@TikiMyn I guess it's good? I don't know. The vet said it might happen, but not so late in the game.

faislaq

I have macaws and don't post enough pictures
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Karen
.... Huh. I woke up and uncovered them today and the rest of the bone that was sticking out is gone. No blood, just.... gone.

:depressed: Which means it's probably in his cage. Uuuuuugh.

did the dog really get it or will it surprise Garet one day in his underwear drawer?! :roflmao:
At least it's not in your underwear drawer... :rofl:

Garet

Real Name
Garet
:dead: Found it. It was laying right in the middle of the cage, covered in poop. I think he was happy to have it off. I didn't really spend much time looking at it before I chucked the paper out, but it looks like he lost everything from the knee down. No signs of chewing, either. I don't know why it fell off, and I don't think I'm going to dig it out and inspect it further.

Just seeing the knee joint was enough to put me off my dinner.

It was roasted chicken legs.

:gag::gag::gag::gag::gag::gag::gag::gag::gag:

faislaq

I have macaws and don't post enough pictures
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Karen
Just seeing the knee joint was enough to put me off my dinner. It was roasted chicken legs. :gag::gag::gag::gag::gag::gag::gag::gag::gag:

Oh no! Not tonight and maybe not this week.
How about a baked potato or nice salad instead? :eating:

Garet

Real Name
Garet
The best part is he doesn't seem to know or care. :D I love how little it affects him.
I know, right? He's just never phased by anything. I don't think it's even sore. He's climbing, perching and landing like he's done this his entire life. He even nails his more difficult landings, like the chandelier and his favourite thin plants, even with the sudden loss.

You'd think it would throw off his balance or something.

Garet

Real Name
Garet
He looks good, eyes bright and alert, feathers all beautiful. They're amazing creatures, arent they?
I've noticed he still has a faint seam along his neck from where he accidentally plucked himself, but he's leagues better than before. I just wish he'd settle down so I could get a better look at his stump. I want to make sure there's no signs of infection, but he's a quick little bugger and doesn't like stepping up now that he doesn't need me anymore.
:run: