• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here
  • This forum is for advice about initial treatment given to your injured/sick bird until a qualified avian veterinarian is available.
    THIS IS NOT MEANT TO REPLACE VET CARE

911 Remove leg or let it fall off naturally? -Geralt

Garet

Rollerblading along the road
Real Name
Garet
Okay, I am officially freaking out right now. My mom called the vet for more info and I have to go see her within the hour.

My options are risky surgery to remove the leg or medicate him until it falls off naturally.

I don't know what to do. Geralt doesn't like being handled and he looks like he's in serious pain, but I don't want him to die on the table. She will give him pain meds either way, but I don't know how well he'll take to them or what to do.

I don't know how long it will take for it to 'fall offf naturally', I don't know what to do. I'm super anxious and scared.

Garet

Real Name
Garet
My aunt just suggested to put him down, too. I can't do that.

Garet

Real Name
Garet
My aunt wants me to go over to her house, it's half-way between us and the vet. I still don't know what to do.

enigma731

Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
I think it's equally risky to let the leg fall off naturally, as it could easily give him a systemic infection. There are substantial risks either way, but if he were my bird, I'd do the surgery. If he dies on the table, he won't be suffering.

Garet

Real Name
Garet
I think it's equally risky to let the leg fall off naturally, as it could easily give him a systemic infection. There are substantial risks either way, but if he were my bird, I'd do the surgery. If he dies on the table, he won't be suffering.
You're right, he could die either way. He could have died if I left the band, too. This is just all so frustrating and I can't take my anxiety meds to deal with this because i need to be awake when I bring him in and not out of it.

Garet

Real Name
Garet
Should get going. I hope I can make the right decision for him. Geralt's seeing the vet in a bit under an hour.

greys4u

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Prayers up

fluffypoptarts

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
This is such a horrible choice to have to make. I’m so sorry. :sadhug: Either way is risky, but I know you’ll do your best to take care of your little boy. I fervently hope that it goes as well as it possibly can.

sunnysmom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Michelle
Sending prayers that Geralt will be okay. You've done everything that you can do for him.

webchirp

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Chandra
thoughts and prayers...I would do the surgery

TikiMyn

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Robin
I am so sorry to hear this, my thoughts are with you and your boy. What a difficult and horrible decision. I have no clue about what to do.

iamwhoiam

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
So sorry to read this. My thoughts are with you and Geralt. Hope whatever you choose works out well. You could always get a second opinion but if the leg is discolored and dead then something needs to be done quickly.

Tiel Feathers

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Deanna
Oh no, what a horrible situation! I hope your bird will be okay, and I’m sending good thoughts your way!
:sadhug2:

Garet

Real Name
Garet
We're back and the vet said that surgery wasn't a good option for him. It would cost 2-300$ and it would involve her cutting into the major arteries and bone, which had a very high chance of killing him. So high that she felt uncomfortable performing the surgery on him.

He's on baytril x2 a day to try and keep him from getting an infection. Everything below where the band was in dead, and this would have happened with or without it. He's not in pain, only irritated, and likely lost all sensation in his foot well before I got him. She's not 100% certain, but I was told it would likely fall off on its own within the next week or two. She said the band had essentially crushed everything beneath it and removing it had just sped up the process he was already going through.

She was an absolute doll and didn't charge me for the check-up or her time, just the medication.

Thankfully, he likes the taste of baytril and she made sure to give him the first dose and explained how to give it to him. I don't like the idea of keeping him coned and on medication until it falls off, but we really don't have a choice.

TikiMyn

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Robin
O what a situation! I an so glad you rescued him, without you this could have meant his death I think! I am so glad she believes he is going to be alright and he is not in pain! It is all very scary though:(

Sarahmoluccan

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Sarah
I agree both ways are risky but Id go with surgery. @Garet I'm so sorry for both of you

sunnysmom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Michelle

Garet

Real Name
Garet
@Sarahmoluccan I was leaning towards surgery as well, but the vet said that she's have to cut into the healthy flesh above his knee, which was highly likely to send such a small bird into shock, if the blood loss didn't kill him.

I like Doctor Chevalier, though. She was nice and explained everything that was going on and made sure to give me extra syringes and everything. I was an absolute mess and probably sounded absolutely insane when we came in, but she was extremely patient with me. Even with this sad outcome, I think she was a wonderful doctor.

The bill's in french, but Saveur de miel= honey flavored. The bottom of the bill says I can't bring his meds back for an exchange or for my money back, and just below it, it says 'Until next time'.

Attachments