• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here
  • This forum is for advice about initial treatment given to your injured/sick bird until a qualified avian veterinarian is available.
    THIS IS NOT MEANT TO REPLACE VET CARE

911 Remove leg or let it fall off naturally? -Geralt

Garet

Rollerblading along the road
Real Name
Garet
@SandraK those cork perched look great. I'm seeing my other bro on Monday, so I'll see if he can help me place an order for one or two then.

Also, I'm going to weigh him on Sunday with our gram scale. A little cardboard box should be okay, yes? I have some small ones that should fit on the scale.

Peachfaced

The Peachy Inkpress
JOLLY-PATROLLY
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Sadie
@SandraK those cork perched look great. I'm seeing my other bro on Monday, so I'll see if he can help me place an order for one or two then.

Also, I'm going to weigh him on Sunday with our gram scale. A little cardboard box should be okay, yes? I have some small ones that should fit on the scale.
That, or a Tupperware style tall container. Keep the lid on there, but not shut. Mine just sit on the scale if given a snack for distraction.

Garet

Real Name
Garet
That, or a Tupperware style tall container. Keep the lid on there, but not shut. Mine just sit on the scale if given a snack for distraction.
Geralt's a little flighty now that he's free, I'm not sure if he'd sit on it without being contained in something, unfortunately. I'll see what I have to work with.

SandraK

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Palm Coast, FL. Carioca'55 when RJ was in GB.
Real Name
Sandra
I've used a shoebox with lid for those squirmy little ones - otherwise I'll use the perch adapted to my scale.

faislaq

I have macaws and don't post enough pictures
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Karen
A little cardboard box should be okay, yes? I have some small ones that should fit on the scale.
Whatever you weigh him in, just zero the scale with the container on it.

greys4u

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
and millet is a great snack!!

Amy Pierce

Sprinting down the street
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Amy Pierce
@Garet, thought I would also just include a story about a CAG belonging to a family member of mine. She had BOTH her feet bitten off in the nest. So granted, she was like that from very young, but the way she climbs around her cage is just incredible. Instead of perches she has planks covered in soft towels, and a big pillow at the bottom of the cage to cushion her in the very unlikely event that she should fall. She doesn't even know that she's a little bit different :xflove:

Love My Zons

Cruising the avenue
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Claire
I texted my brother about what happened and he thought Tucker ate his own foot.

At least my dog has the decency to look guilty about what he's done.
OMG I saw this at work yesterday and just about lost it lmao!:rofl: What a cute dog tho!:dog4: I am glad to hear that your little nugget is getting along so well. :hug8:You are funny!! :coffeescreen:

Garet

Real Name
Garet
@Garet, thought I would also just include a story about a CAG belonging to a family member of mine. She had BOTH her feet bitten off in the nest. So granted, she was like that from very young, but the way she climbs around her cage is just incredible. Instead of perches she has planks covered in soft towels, and a big pillow at the bottom of the cage to cushion her in the very unlikely event that she should fall. She doesn't even know that she's a little bit different :xflove:
Poor baby. ;;
Has she ever had issues with falling in her sleep?

Most of my handicapped fids don't know that they're handicapped - they didn't get the memo as they say here.
I've noticed that with Geralt, too. As soon as the cone came off, he took off.

Anyways, Geralt's put on 3 grams, and Hawke has been seen by a vet. Other than being absolutely petrified of humans and showing signs of abuse, he's got 0 issues.

And I brought him back and tried introducing them and they're acting like they've known eachother their whole lives. Hawke's even buddied up to Geralt to help him perch and nap on his favourite napping perch.

Attachments

zoo mom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Elaine
Poor baby. ;;
Has she ever had issues with falling in her sleep?

I've noticed that with Geralt, too. As soon as the cone came off, he took off.

Anyways, Geralt's put on 3 grams, and Hawke has been seen by a vet. Other than being absolutely petrified of humans and showing signs of abuse, he's got 0 issues.

And I brought him back and tried introducing them and they're acting like they've known eachother their whole lives. Hawke's even buddied up to Geralt to help him perch and nap on his favourite napping perch.

Awwwww. They are going to be best buddies.

greys4u

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
You have to share a pic of those two buds together

Garet

Real Name
Garet
You have to share a pic of those two buds together
Easy peasy. :p I'll try to take more pics later, I just want Hawke to settle in. He's real shy and tends to freak out if anyone gets too close, and I don't want him hurting himself.

I've let them out since I took these, and they're hiding on the ceiling fan.

Attachments

greys4u

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue

Garet

Real Name
Garet
.... Huh. I woke up and uncovered them today and the rest of the bone that was sticking out is gone. No blood, just.... gone.

:depressed: Which means it's probably in his cage. Uuuuuugh.

He won't let me get a good look at It, but it seems alright. No signs of infection, pain or chewing.