1. Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here
  2. This forum is for advice about initial treatment given to your injured/sick bird until a qualified avian veterinarian is available.
    THIS IS NOT MEANT TO REPLACE VET CARE

911 Remove leg or let it fall off naturally? -Geralt

Discussion in 'Bird Emergency Highway 911' started by Garet, 3/22/18.

1. Garet

Garet Rollerblading along the road I Can't Stop Posting!

Garet
    I texted my brother about what happened and he thought Tucker ate his own foot.

At least my dog has the decency to look guilty about what he's done.

Attached Files:

2. Dartman

Dartman Rollerblading along the road Avenue Spotlight Award Avenue Veteran

Terry
    Beeper lost several toes due to not leaving the big bird alone. House finches have tiny toes and not much circulation in them and they would just slowly wither up, turn black, and fall off with no other bad circumstances from it. She always adapted almost immediately and just continued doing her thing.

3. faislaq

faislaq I have a macaw and don't post enough photos Mayor of the Avenue Avenue Spotlight Award Tailgating Party! I Can't Stop Posting!

Karen
    This has been quite the rollercoaster thread!
    Coaster.gif

4. Garet

Garet
    Awe, poor Beeper should learn not to bother the bigger birdies. I've never had a bird lose a limb, so this was really new for me. Beeper gets around fine, though? No issues with it getting caught on things?

Hah, it's been a roller coaster month. If I wasn't already on anxiety meds, I'd be on the ceiling here.
    :faint:
    At least it's pretty much over now. He just needs to put on some weight and regrow his throat feathers and he'll be fine.

5. Love My Zons

Love My Zons Biking along the boulevard Celebirdy of the Month Mayor of the Avenue Avenue Veteran Vendor

Claire
    I still re-read that and cracked up at your first few posts. It's funny, but serious too.

6. Dartman

Dartman Rollerblading along the road Avenue Spotlight Award Avenue Veteran

Terry
    Beeper is no longer with us:(but she got around fine, even after Nerd broke her foot before we realized they didn't play well together anymore. Her foot balled up and I tried straightening out her toes but they just curled up again. She hopped around, climbed all over, and flew like nothing ever happened. The foot did hurt her for a while, but once it healed she was back to being a crazy flying flea.

Lwalker, SandraK, finchly and 2 others like this.
  7. Amy Pierce

Amy Pierce Sprinting down the street

Amy Pierce
    I have so enjoyed catching up on this thread! Sounds like you have a little superbird. I rescued a budgie with severe scaly face and leg a few years ago. She ended up losing both her feet once I had started treating them. She also adapted super well. Unfortunately she was only with me for a few weeks before leaving for the Rainbow Bridge :( I think she was just so far gone from all that time in that condition with her previous owners :mad:

I hope your superbird continues to recover well and enjoy his awesome new life :heart:

Dartman, Lwalker, Garet and 4 others like this.
  8. faislaq

faislaq I have a macaw and don't post enough photos Mayor of the Avenue Avenue Spotlight Award Tailgating Party! I Can't Stop Posting!

Karen
    @Amy Pierce Thank you for making her life better in the end. :)

Lwalker likes this.
  9. Ankou

Ankou Rollerblading along the road Avenue Spotlight Award Avenue Veteran Shutterbugs' Best

Sondra
    Glad it's finally off and your little one still seems well. I hope he adjusts quickly!

And yeah, dogs are gross but at least it saved you having to see the leg!

Lwalker, SandraK and faislaq like this.
  10. Garet

Garet
    I feel your pain. Ciri wasn't with me long enough either. It's amazing that you took her in, though! Not a lot of people would bother with a budgie that's that far gone. :heart: She must have been so happy to be with you.

Geralt's stump is looking better today. It's a little bit shorter than it was last night, but what he has left is strong bone.

Attached Files:

11. greys4u

greys4u Rollerblading along the road

Look at those eyes, so full of mischief but the one thing that stands out, her appreciation she has for you

Lwalker, Ankou, TikiMyn and 1 other person like this.
  12. Chopper

Chopper Rollerblading along the road Avenue Spotlight Award Tailgating Party!

Mary lynn Snowman
    Oh - this is so funny. I know it really wasn't but the images in my mind and your expressions on here...priceless.
    I'm glad the foot fell off. Now Garet can concentrate on getting well and gaining weight.

Ankou, Peachfaced, TikiMyn and 2 others like this.
  13. faislaq

Karen
    He's ready to go! I swear he doesn't even seem to miss it. o_O He's probably more relieved the dread collar is gone.

Lwalker, Hotpockets, Ankou and 3 others like this.
  14. Garet

Garet
    It really seems like that to me, too. I find it really amazing how quickly he adapted to having one foot. He's landing, taking off, getting in and out of his cage, playing with his toys, preening and doing almost everything like normal. The only issue he seems to have is nailing those tight turns after being in a cone for so long.

15. Garet

Garet
    Oooh gdhshshjs I think he just took care of the rest if the bone himself.

Hotpockets and TikiMyn like this.
  16. Garet

Garet
    No blood but it was so fast. I don't know if I should put him back in the cone or not. He's not picking at his flesh, I think the feeling of the bone on metal was just agitating him. He's ignoring his leg entirely now to nibble on a stuffed toy.

Hotpockets and TikiMyn like this.
  17. tka

tka Walking the driveway

I know it's not funny but I still laughed!

It sounds like between Garet and Tucker the problem has been taken care of, but keep an extremely close eye on the stump anyway - anything that isn't clear dry normal-coloured skin with good circulation means he has to go back to the vet. If he's not picking at his leg then I'd leave the collar off. It sounds like he's coping wonderfully.

SandraK and TikiMyn like this.
  18. Peachfaced

Peachfaced Rollerblading along the road Avenue Veteran Vendor Tailgating Party! I Can't Stop Posting!

Sadie
    [​IMG]

19. Garet

Garet
    OMG! :coffeescreen:

Lwalker, zoo mom, faislaq and 3 others like this.
  20. greys4u

greys4u Rollerblading along the road

Users Viewing Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 0)