• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here
  • This forum is for advice about initial treatment given to your injured/sick bird until a qualified avian veterinarian is available.
    THIS IS NOT MEANT TO REPLACE VET CARE

911 Remove leg or let it fall off naturally? -Geralt

Garet

Rollerblading along the road
Real Name
Garet
I texted my brother about what happened and he thought Tucker ate his own foot.

At least my dog has the decency to look guilty about what he's done.

Attachments

Dartman

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Terry
Beeper lost several toes due to not leaving the big bird alone. House finches have tiny toes and not much circulation in them and they would just slowly wither up, turn black, and fall off with no other bad circumstances from it. She always adapted almost immediately and just continued doing her thing.

faislaq

I have macaws and don't post enough pictures
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Karen
This has been quite the rollercoaster thread!
Coaster.gif

Garet

Real Name
Garet
Beeper lost several toes due to not leaving the big bird alone. House finches have tiny toes and not much circulation in them and they would just slowly wither up, turn black, and fall off with no other bad circumstances from it. She always adapted almost immediately and just continued doing her thing.
Awe, poor Beeper should learn not to bother the bigger birdies. I've never had a bird lose a limb, so this was really new for me. Beeper gets around fine, though? No issues with it getting caught on things?

This has been quite the rollercoaster thread!
View attachment 273926
Hah, it's been a roller coaster month. If I wasn't already on anxiety meds, I'd be on the ceiling here.
:faint:
At least it's pretty much over now. He just needs to put on some weight and regrow his throat feathers and he'll be fine.

Love My Zons

Cruising the avenue
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Claire
It's in my dog's stomach. :facepalm:

Well, you know what they say about laughter...
I still re-read that and cracked up at your first few posts. It's funny, but serious too.

Dartman

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Terry
Awe, poor Beeper should learn not to bother the bigger birdies. I've never had a bird lose a limb, so this was really new for me. Beeper gets around fine, though? No issues with it getting caught on things?

Hah, it's been a roller coaster month. If I wasn't already on anxiety meds, I'd be on the ceiling here.
:faint:
At least it's pretty much over now. He just needs to put on some weight and regrow his throat feathers and he'll be fine.
Beeper is no longer with us:(but she got around fine, even after Nerd broke her foot before we realized they didn't play well together anymore. Her foot balled up and I tried straightening out her toes but they just curled up again. She hopped around, climbed all over, and flew like nothing ever happened. The foot did hurt her for a while, but once it healed she was back to being a crazy flying flea.

Amy Pierce

Sprinting down the street
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Amy Pierce
I have so enjoyed catching up on this thread! Sounds like you have a little superbird. I rescued a budgie with severe scaly face and leg a few years ago. She ended up losing both her feet once I had started treating them. She also adapted super well. Unfortunately she was only with me for a few weeks before leaving for the Rainbow Bridge :( I think she was just so far gone from all that time in that condition with her previous owners :mad:

I hope your superbird continues to recover well and enjoy his awesome new life :heart:

faislaq

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Karen
@Amy Pierce Thank you for making her life better in the end. :)

Ankou

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
Real Name
Sondra
Glad it's finally off and your little one still seems well. I hope he adjusts quickly!

And yeah, dogs are gross but at least it saved you having to see the leg!

Garet

Real Name
Garet
I have so enjoyed catching up on this thread! Sounds like you have a little superbird. I rescued a budgie with severe scaly face and leg a few years ago. She ended up losing both her feet once I had started treating them. She also adapted super well. Unfortunately she was only with me for a few weeks before leaving for the Rainbow Bridge :( I think she was just so far gone from all that time in that condition with her previous owners :mad:

I hope your superbird continues to recover well and enjoy his awesome new life :heart:
I feel your pain. Ciri wasn't with me long enough either. It's amazing that you took her in, though! Not a lot of people would bother with a budgie that's that far gone. :heart: She must have been so happy to be with you.

Geralt's stump is looking better today. It's a little bit shorter than it was last night, but what he has left is strong bone.

Attachments

greys4u

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Look at those eyes, so full of mischief but the one thing that stands out, her appreciation she has for you

Chopper

Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Mary lynn Snowman
Oh - this is so funny. I know it really wasn't but the images in my mind and your expressions on here...priceless.
I'm glad the foot fell off. Now Garet can concentrate on getting well and gaining weight.

faislaq

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Karen
Geralt's stump is looking better today. It's a little bit shorter than it was last night, but what he has left is strong bone.
He's ready to go! I swear he doesn't even seem to miss it. o_O He's probably more relieved the dread collar is gone.

Garet

Real Name
Garet
He's ready to go! I swear he doesn't even seem to miss it. o_O He's probably more relieved the dread collar is gone.
It really seems like that to me, too. I find it really amazing how quickly he adapted to having one foot. He's landing, taking off, getting in and out of his cage, playing with his toys, preening and doing almost everything like normal. The only issue he seems to have is nailing those tight turns after being in a cone for so long.

Garet

Real Name
Garet
No blood but it was so fast. I don't know if I should put him back in the cone or not. He's not picking at his flesh, I think the feeling of the bone on metal was just agitating him. He's ignoring his leg entirely now to nibble on a stuffed toy.

tka

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
I know it's not funny but I still laughed!

It sounds like between Garet and Tucker the problem has been taken care of, but keep an extremely close eye on the stump anyway - anything that isn't clear dry normal-coloured skin with good circulation means he has to go back to the vet. If he's not picking at his leg then I'd leave the collar off. It sounds like he's coping wonderfully.

greys4u

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue