• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

I wonder if Tank will survive..

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hankmacaw

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Mary Lynn Skinner
Update on Tank 15 hours ago.

Burge Bird Rescue
15 hrs ·
Tank says: "Dr. Julie is taking great care of me, and after 30 years as an avian veterinarian, she kind of knows what she is doing. Please don't continue to insult her by sending her your diagnostic and treatment advice unless you are also an avian veterinarian. And don't get mad and insulting if she ignores your advice, because she will block you from our page in about 2 seconds." Yes, Tank just had to block another person. Who wants to be next? Tank doesn't need the stress! Be nice and post happy stuff!

Danita

Ripping up the road
Super Administrator
Chief Beak
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Danita
Update on Tank 15 hours ago.

Burge Bird Rescue
15 hrs ·
Tank says: "Dr. Julie is taking great care of me, and after 30 years as an avian veterinarian, she kind of knows what she is doing. Please don't continue to insult her by sending her your diagnostic and treatment advice unless you are also an avian veterinarian. And don't get mad and insulting if she ignores your advice, because she will block you from our page in about 2 seconds." Yes, Tank just had to block another person. Who wants to be next? Tank doesn't need the stress! Be nice and post happy stuff!

She is very strict!!!

Poor Tank :(

Bokkapooh

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Mercedez
Poor Tank. I hope he feels well soon or is euthanized and released from pain and paralysis and from the seizures that plague him.

Danita

Ripping up the road
Super Administrator
Chief Beak
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Danita
They just a detailed update.
@Hankmacaw what do you think is wrong?

Clueless

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
TAILGATING
praying that Tank feels the love....

Just-passn-thru

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Suzanne
Poor Tank. I hope he feels well soon or is euthanized and released from pain and paralysis and from the seizures that plague him.
Seems stroke to me...just sayn :darkcloud: this is tough. If he is kept comfortable with diagonistices ,possibly will help in future ,with other inconclusive diagnosis of idiopathic prognosis.
Not that I'm an expert or anything ...but just the course of the process

Hankmacaw

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Mary Lynn Skinner
@Danita - It's looking more and more like he had a moderately severe seizure/stroke from the malnutrition and/or dehydration. That is a guess from a layman. With a lot of care he can recover some motor skills and normal functions. Remember, Rosie has had a series of strokes and recovered enough that she continued performing for several years. She was paralyzed on one side after her worst stroke.

If he has the Baylisascaris parasite (or any other parasite in his brain or spinal column) then there is no treatment - but that is highly unlikely since there is no evidence that he has been exposed to Raccoon/Opossum crap.

I encourage those who are so distressed by Tank's condition that they feel disposed to euthanizing him to not follow his case. He is doing as well as can be expected.

Macawnutz

Seriously Nutz!
Super Administrator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Sarah
I agree with ML.

Maybe because we have been there with birds and had to care for them at their very worst. Maybe because we fight for our birds lives everyday... going as far as purchasing oxygen units to give daily care. We have seen them survive and not survive, Tank is fighting! He deserves the chance. Even if we lose him, we gained awareness and knowledge. All we have to do is support the fight.

zoo mom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Elaine
My thoughts are it is too early to tell what kind of quality of life he can have. When a human has a stroke it can take 3-6 months to BEGIN to form an idea of potential recovery. And a full year to have a solid idea. And 2 to reach maximum potential.

As a reference: I worked with a Dr. who had a major heart attack. They took him to the cardiac cath lab. He had a stroke while they were doing the cardiac cath. He then had another stroke and cardiac arrest in ICU. 5 years later he returned to full medical practice. He had no memory loss and no physical disability. There was no obvious long term damage. He just had a decreased stamina from the heart attacks. He practiced medicine for 15 more years before he passed away from another heart attack.

I have also seen a young lady who was in a major head on collision. Who was in a coma for 4 months due to head trauma, she also had a fractured neck and was on a ventilator for several months. She is now walking independently, going to college, and working part time.

I know a bird is different from a human. But until his nutritional status is fully corrected and time is given for the swelling in the brain to go down from the seizures/stroke or just swelling related to inadequate electrolytes, sugars, and fats in the system there is no way to know what his prognosis is.

It takes weeks to months for a body to recover from malnutrition. As a nurse I see all kinds of things. I know a child with anorexia who was on a very strict activity limit due to cardiac issues from malnutrition. It was 6 months from the time they reached a normal weight before the heart recovered enough from the insult from malnutrition to be allowed to return to normal activities. And it was a couple more months before being allowed athletic activities that required more than walking.

Sorry this was so long. And I tried to keep it understandable to the layperson. It is just my opinion that it is too early to make a judgement call. Yes he is tired and lethargic. Think how much energy you have after getting over a bad bout of stomach flu. It is the same or quite probably worse for him.

zoo mom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Elaine
One more thing, when I look at Tank's eyes, I don't see a bird who has given up. I don't see a bird who is too tired to go on. I see a bird who is using every single calorie available to him to rebuild heart, muscle, blood, and bones. There are no more calories left for him to be active, awake, and alert. Until everything is replenished rest is absolutely the best thing. His primary needs are calories, fluids, rest and supportive care.

I still see the spark there.

Hankmacaw

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Mary Lynn Skinner
One more thing, when I look at Tank's eyes, I don't see a bird who has given up. I don't see a bird who is too tired to go on. I see a bird who is using every single calorie available to him to rebuild heart, muscle, blood, and bones. There are no more calories left for him to be active, awake, and alert. Until everything is replenished rest is absolutely the best thing. His primary needs are calories, fluids, rest and supportive care.
I still see the spark there.

Both of your posts were wonderful. I too see the spark there.

Dartman

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Terry
Tank has been vocalizing and he didn't even do that when he got there so he's responding and more aware, he also seems to love his tongue rubs so he's doing what he can to communicate and have a little interaction and love with his people. I hope he does well with time and I wouldn't give up on him either, he's trying as best as he can and if he was completely done he wouldn't waste time or energy making noises or anything.

Sarahmoluccan

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Sarah
I understand where people are coming from when they say it may be time to let him go. No one wants to see this poor bird suffer anymore that he all right has. But if they can him keep comfortable I see no harm in continuing his care. And if he's still fighting we should fight with him

Tyrion

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Annette Thompson
This is a very hard call to make obviously there must be some reactions that they are seeing in clinic that are positive or they would not be continuing treatment ...they wouldnt keep him going if he wasnt improving on some level ..from the pics he does look pretty ill but I would put my trust in the vet at this point they will know when and if its time :(

Sweet Louise

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Pat
:sad4::sad4:
Burge Bird Rescue
51 mins ·
Tank the Macaw update for Monday October 16: Despite gaining some weight from his tube feedings, Tank seems to be getting weaker, and today regurgitated and aspirated a little bit of his formula. After many many phone calls, we can't find a single human or animal hospital in the Kansas City area that has an MRI sensitive enough to scan a parrot's brain, and is also willing to do it. One place in town that does a lot of animal MRIs refuses to do a patient under 5 pounds. The stress of riding in the car to get somewhere hours away is not going to help him in his current state. We have been warned that animals tend to get very cold during an MRI since they have to lay on the hard, bare table for a long time, nobody can be in the room with them, and they almost always have to be under anesthesia, which is very risky in a bird as sick as Tank. Finally, there are very few disorders left in the list of possibilities that can even be treated, and he has never responded to any of the medications we have tried to treat him with.

We are not sure that Tank is going to hold on much longer. Please know that we are doing what we can, but at some point it may be time to help him go to sleep. We will update you with any news.
❤

• :sad4:

Begone

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
"Please know that we are doing what we can, but at some point it may be time to help him go to sleep."

I have been waiting for this. :(

Status
Not open for further replies.