• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

I wonder if Tank will survive..

Status
Not open for further replies.

Begone

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
I have so many feelings when reading about Tank, and most of all it's painful to see him knowing that people did this to him.

"This is Tank, the newest macaw at Burge Bird Rescue. His owner had gone away to college, and the person who was supposed to take care of him apparently didn't notify anyone of his condition for several days. This poor bird was less than a day from death due to starvation and dehydration. He has a severe head tilt and is unable to stand, perch, eat, or drink. His initial blood testing has come back normal, and more tests are planned. Meanwhile, he is being tube fed and treated 5 or more times a day."

"Tank is trying out his new hammock. It keeps him from rolling around upside down and choking on his food. He's a little bit stronger everyday. Thank you to everyone who has donated toward his care."

"Saturday update for all of Tank's friends, and an intro for those who haven't met him: Tank is a 15 year old sweetheart who was relinquished to Burge Bird Rescue this week. He has a severe head tilt, cannot stand up to eat or drink, and was critically emaciated and dehydrated. He weighs only 667 grams when he should be around 1000 grams. He is being tube fed 7 times a day and lives in a hammock so he can't roll onto his back and choke on his food. Since his lab tests have not yet revealed the cause of his illness, we hope to schedule an MRI next week to scan his brain."

Last edited:

SandraK

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Palm Coast, FL. Carioca'55 when RJ was in GB.
Real Name
Sandra
I'm trying to compose myself but after watching the first video I'd really like a couple of names and something with which I can cause really painful bodily injury. For anyone I may have offended, I'm sorry, but there is no justification for this. Or forgiveness for the damage caused. I have absolutely no polite vocabulary to use and what I would use would have me banned from this site in a nanu-second.

Make sure that the person who was supposed to take care of Tank is left in the same condition. Maybe when that person is older and has nobody to check on them; the saying is that revenge is a dish best served cold. I am so angry.

Last edited:

DQTimnehs

Ri-DQ-lously crazy 4 TAGs!
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Jennifer
He is adorable. And he seems to have a lot of spunk for being in such poor condition. I say he will pull through! :heart:

Sarahmoluccan

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Sarah
I'm pulling for you Tank!! :heart: I really hope he survives. It's such a shame that these kind of things continues to happen in this day of age. There's no real excuse for it to be happening.

Begone

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
I'm sorry, but there is no justification for this.
I hear you Sandra and I agree with you.
They say that we must feel forgiveness and that everybody deserves a second chance, but if you are capable to do this to an animal you don't deserves anything in my world.
(Perhaps something, but to say that loud would probably had me banned too.)

And yes, he must make it! That is what we owed him.

Dartman

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Terry
Some people just have no empathy for any other living beings, poor Tank. Looks like he's slowly coming around and I hope he pulls through and comes back to where he should be. :sadhug2:

ode.to.parrots

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Cary
:omg:

How could any one neglect a living being like that???

zoo mom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Elaine
Poor baby. I can't imagine how the owner must have felt coming home from school and finding her bird like this.

Bokkapooh

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Mercedez
It doesn't say he was physically abused. Just was turned in emeciated and starved. He could have developed the head tilt (likely from a brain tumor) quickly and in a course of a week become this way. Without further details, people must not assume physical abuse or even purposeful neglect. I hope whatever is wrong with Tank is curable and treatable and that he overcomes this.

Sarahmoluccan

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Sarah
Poor baby. I can't imagine how the owner must have felt coming home from school and finding her bird like this.
I kind of have mixed feelings about the owner. I do feel for him but at the same time I sort of feel he has some of the responsibility too. He seemed to have left his bird with someone who was woefully unprepared to take care of a Macaw. I agree with @Bokkapooh it's hard to say what actually happened without more details. I do believe it shouldn't have happened and at least some of it could have been prevented. My sympathy and empathy fully lay with Tank

Bokkapooh

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Mercedez
If you leave a bird with anyone who truly doesn't understand bird behavior this is the possible outcome.

Bird develops brain tumor and head tilt. Lays on bottom of cage looking or against cage bars sleeping but breathing.

Pet care giver thinks bird is just tired. Maybe they check on him twice a day to feed/water with no interaction.

Owner: "How's Tank today?"
Pet care giver/friend/roommate/etc: "Looks fine. Haven't really interacted with him as he just wants to sleep."
Owner: "Sleep? Is he ok?"
Pet care giver/friend/roommate/etc: "Yeah. I fed him in the morning and night, most likely just tired."

This could go on for a few days to a week, meanwhile Tank starves and grows dehydrated.

I'm not trying to defend someone who has neglected or abused a pet but I think until further details (if there are any) need to be had before assumptions are made.

Tank goes for an MRI next week to view his brain. Swelling of or around the brain would indicate brain injury. Brain tumor would also show up too.

However severe cases of PDD cause neurological problems such as seizures and body spinning. He could have PDD. That hits hard and fast.

zoo mom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Elaine
The video says the owner came home from school and found him o. The bottom of the cage. If the caretaker Did not inform the owner of any issues the owner would have been completely blindside by this.

Sarahmoluccan

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Sarah
My main problem with this case is why was Tank left with a care taker who to me at least seem not to know what a sick bird looks like. It makes me wonder a lot of things. Like prior to this was Tank given any outside the cage time? And stuff like that.

It's difficult situation for the kid to be in. And I do feel for him. But if Tank was left with a more competent care giver he'd probably have gone to the vets a lot sooner IMHO

NK_717

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
I hope everything goes okay for him!

Macawnutz

Seriously Nutz!
Super Administrator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Sarah
We can not/should not speculate. We don't know and we also know not every owner is avian wise.

If this thread continues with speculation and disgust for the situation, it will be removed. Let's keep out thoughts with the sweetie and send our thoughts.

Status
Not open for further replies.