• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

I wonder if Tank will survive..

Status
Not open for further replies.

finchly

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Finchly
Am I the only one who looks at those eyes and thinks it might be time to let him go???

I feel the humane thing to do sometimes is make the decision to put the baby out of his misery.

taxidermynerd

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Bee (they/he)
Am I the only one who looks at those eyes and thinks it might be time to let him go???

I feel the humane thing to do sometimes is make the decision to put the baby out of his misery.
I kind of agree. I think there's still fight left in him, but he looks like he's reaching the end of his tether. Poor baby seems so tired. We can only hope he starts improving. :angel1:

Begone

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
No we are at least two.
That is our responsibility. Always to listen to our animals needs and not to what we want.

Macawnutz

Seriously Nutz!
Super Administrator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Sarah
Korbel was at deaths door, two different avian veterinarians urged me to put him down! I almost agreed.... One person fought me, a member of this forum. Korbel is here today because of that one member.

It only takes one test to come up positive to have the answers, just pray they find the right one! I'm sure they are doing all they can to feed him. Laying on your crop with liquid is dangerous so I'm sure they can only do a little at a time.

Korbels issues started by aspiration, over full baby laying on his crop.

finchly

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Finchly
I understand Sarah. I didn't put my dog down and he lived 7 more years. It took him 4 months to get over his slipped disk. But he was happy and not in pain after that.

I'm just feeling like this poor guy has been through so much. :(

Hankmacaw

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Mary Lynn Skinner
She is a vet with 30 years experience and in that 30 years she has gotten to know many of the vets in the US. I have no doubt in my mind about her qualifications and skills, nor that she hasn't conferred with other vets. We can not add to her and all of the vets she has conferred with expertise. We can only continue to hope for the very best for Tank.

When Hank and Jasper were so very, very ill I hand fed them sometimes with Hank 5/6 times per day. I remember one period that I fed him every hour. He wouldn't take much at a feeding and the constant feeding just maintained his weight (and Jasper's too). They never told me that they wanted to die and I just don't give up easily. Hank, in particular was darned near death and my Dr. (who doesn't give up easily either) twice told me that he didn't think Hank would make it and once told me that Jasper could die at any minute. Hank lived for 15 years and cancer finally got him. Jasper has now lived for 17 years.

Don't give up on Tank. He will make the decision and I'm sure that Dr. Burge is very much in tune with Tank and she will know.

EllaMay

Rollerblading along the road
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
April
The care he is given is giving Tank what is feels to be loved and cared for... he is in such beautiful hands that they will not give up and Tank won't either.

Just-passn-thru

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Suzanne
@finchly We won't know until we know. Unless he dies, I don't think we should bury him.
This is true, and your sincere resolve on Tanks well being, is embraced by many including myself. None the less it is truly heartbreaking to witness the apparent distress Tank must endure. I am sure we all want what is best for him. Tank is one of the fortunate ones in similar situations. He has the support of many, others could otherwise not afford.

Bokkapooh

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Mercedez
I did not know she was an avian vet. Glad he is in competent hands. I suppose if his crop is too full he might roll over on it and drown himself. So I can see why small frequent feedings might be best.

But I wonder if adding Palm oil (hate that stuff) or coconut oil to the formula might help? Maybe not if his liver is having issues digesting fats.

Sigh, it's too bad they're not taking advice. I don't want to give advice but I think that sort of thinking keeps people in the dark. Sometimes people who are old time breeders/owners get stuck in their arrogance at having long time experience that they won't listen to something new.

Hopefully being a veterinarian she speaks to other vets for suggestions and aid if she won't with parrot owners.

Doctors do this. Scientists do this. I hope this vet does this.

Hankmacaw

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Mary Lynn Skinner
I'm sure she does consult with other DVM's. All of the good ones do and they have access to the best in the world. My vet has consulted on H&J with Dr. Speer. Dr. Harrison, Dr. Ritchie, Dr. Wissman and Dr. Orsatz and several others that I can't remember.

Sarahmoluccan

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Sarah
My old vet use to consult with other vets. I believe she on an online forum which sounded like it was just for vets. She had to alot of brainstorming to find way to fix Zane's wing. He damaged his wing with his self mutilating. It was a problem she never came across before. She came up with a brilliant solution that almost made Zane's wing 100% again. My boy has some really good luck with certain things.

I wish for Tank have the same good luck too!! Poor guy. Its good to hear atleast they don't think he's in pain :heart:

Last edited:

SandraK

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Palm Coast, FL. Carioca'55 when RJ was in GB.
Real Name
Sandra
I believe (firmly) that most vets when faced with a terrible situation with no information about what happened will consult with other vets, avian, experts, universities, etc. I don't think a good vet would treat an animal blindly any more than a good doctor would treat a patient without consulting with others in the face of an undetermined condition.

iamwhoiam

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
I had a red-bellied parrot who I was told was going to pass and she lived an additional 6 years. She was on a roller coaster of good health and bad health during those 6 years. There were times I needed to handfeed her and sometimes I had to bring her to the vet for tube feeding. I also had a 'tiel who was very ill. Was hospitalized for over a week and was then released because they felt he was doing better but when I went to pick him up he took a turn for the worse. I was told he could pass at the vet's or I could take him home and let him pass away here. I decided to take him home. I'm glad I did because, even though it took many weeks for him to recover, he survived and lived another 10 years. He passed when he was 23. It's always been difficult for me to "throw in the towel". Tank is in bad shape right now but with the help he is getting and his own strength to survive his health might turn around. I hope for the best for him.

Karija

Meeting neighbors
Avenue Veteran
I think it's probably less the vet does not consult with others and more they are having a hard time coping with the responses their posts are getting. It sounds like she does consult with other vets - she is talking about going to MRI locations hours away and needing to get to locations with MRI techs that are experienced with reading results from parrots. They put themselves out there to help fundraise for Tank's care and I would imagine that they are getting lots of comments/messages/emails/calls with advice, beyond just what is in the FB post. For a small rescue that has not gone viral before, that can be overwhelming. And as open to advice as one can be, it also takes a lot of time - reading it all, responding to it - for people that have other jobs at that rescue that likely aren't experienced in public relations. After the umpteenth time about being told about something like milk thistle, which you already know about, it becomes a lot harder to react gracefully especially at the late hours she is posting at. Especially when you are invested in the care of your animal, that can be super frustrating. When one of my elderly GCCs was towards her end of care, I posted on several forums online asking for advice. I was hoping for a golden snitch of something that would help, but having to deal with unhelpful/unrealistic responses or repeating things ad nausea for people that had just read the title and not the post... it was emotionally draining. If I had hundreds of responses like that? I would have snapped.

Bokkapooh

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Mercedez
Then for her sanity it's best to take a step away from the screen and social media and not respond to anyone or read anything at all. Post updates when she has time and focus on real life.

I know all too well how draining social media can be. Sometimes it's best to step away and focus on the for real real. :heart:

Status
Not open for further replies.